letting him off the lead

Nottshusky

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep got one of them, they have to be muzzled to use it, or we dont get anywhere, tried it without the muzzles and taz is bigger and stronger than dief, who ended up gettin his head peed upon, was quite funny to watch , dont think deif enjoyed it though lol,

LMAO that happened to saskia a couple of times but she soon learned to get out of Wolfs way or she told him not sure :rofl:

got myself one of these.. great for walking on short lead or when running but .. to be honset found them a pain when out in fields on flexi lead.. all the girls did was kept tugging each other in different directions.

i use 2 long flexi leads .. gives them lots more freedom to sniff etc seperate.. only pain is neither of them will walk straight.... LOL got go left sniff there then right sniff there etc ,, you can imagine how many times i swap hands...

easiest by far i have found i when out with the wife ,, her dog walks of lead and will recall to her on instantly on command.. i give her a bloody flexi... job done my life easier... LOL

i am constantly swapping hand aswell wit my to boys flexi leads and blaze likes to walk round every lampost so it looks like i keep hugging lamposts when trying to put the lead in my other hand then putting it back when weve got past the lampost lol but i do prefer them on this type ov lead as he can still have freedom without the dangers of running off and u can get them back even if they dont want 2 lol (i dont tug hard just so u no gently does it)

i am constantly swapping hand aswell wit my to boys flexi leads and blaze likes to walk round every lampost so it looks like i keep hugging lamposts when trying to put the lead in my other hand then putting it back when weve got past the lampost lol but i do prefer them on this type ov lead as he can still have freedom without the dangers of running off and u can get them back even if they dont want 2 lol (i dont tug hard just so u no gently does it)

I used to have this problem with Bandit when I took him for a walk he was always want to walk on the opposite side o fthe lampost or bin that I was. What I did was started to walk him on the opposite side to me as the lampost or bin was, he would still try and run over to it but I'd pull him back beside me and put him in a sit and them simply walk away (it does take some patience though).

Oh, I don't use the extendable leads on mine. Used to have on for Gizmo when he was young but it snapped as he got stronger so I dont' have one now. What is he like when you call him? Will he come straight back to you or do you normally have to call him a few times? If he usally come straight back, you could try giving him a call before he goes around the lampost so it makes it easier for you to shorten the lead on him and keep it shortened whilst you go around the lampost and see if this makes a differance. I don't know if it would, just a thought

I don't like extendable leads because it teaches my dog the opposite of what I want to teach him - it allows him to pull and because it extends he can walk where he likes. I just use a leather leash, with a strong brass clasp, so I know it is safe from leash breakage :)

hes not always extended just a couple ov times on a walk (not much area u can let him extended) cuz i still want him 2 have a bit ov freedom he will look up at me if i call him if hes not got his nose in summin i have 2 put on a baby voice and go 'cum ere blaze cum on' then he will charge at me lol or i just go wheres bing and he wil run at our other dog lol am currently lookin for traingin classes in cov but cnt find any atm :'(

• 2 weeks later...

police dogs arnt as well trained as they like to make out. and at least half of them DONT have 100% recall. the other half dont even have 50% recall

What are you basing your statistics on?

I think there are terrible police dog trainers out there and then there are some excellent ones. The dog is only as good as a trainer and the trainer I am referring to (that does train police dogs) expects no less than 100% recall at all times. You can't have a dog trained to take down a man and not expect to train 100% reliability.

ETA: I also didn't say all police dogs have 100% recall :) I said that when my trainer trains his dogs they have 100% reliability.

a police dog would most likely not be allowed out on 'duty' if they had 50% recall...because the work they do requires them to be extremely obedient and be in potentially life threatening situations....

You'd think so. It would be a big liability to allow a dog with 50% reliability to work - imagine not being able to call it off a target half the time!

You'd think so. It would be a big liability to allow a dog with 50% reliability to work - imagine not being able to call it off a target half the time!

exactly, i just can't imagine it...some of the GSDs they use for 'chasing' (don't know the right term!) a criminal down are really vicious (ugh spelling off) and if they couldn't recall them/have a reliability of close to 100% i would dread to think what that dog could do. then theres the drug and bomb dogs...

exactly, i just can't imagine it...some of the GSDs they use for 'chasing' (don't know the right term!) a criminal down are really vicious (ugh spelling off) and if they couldn't recall them/have a reliability of close to 100% i would dread to think what that dog could do. then theres the drug and bomb dogs...

I have no doubt that there are bad police dog handlers and trainers out there, that are doing their dogs a disservice by training them inappropriately. However - in general terms - a police service dogs need to be confident, high spirited and high drive dogs that posses a high level of obedience under the highest distraction. It would not be good enough to have a dog that wasn't completely reliable.

oh no i'm sure there are some trainers/handlers out there that aren't good...but pretty much most of them have to be reliable

Yep I completely agree. I just didn't want to sound like I think all police dogs are trained perfectly cos I know there are some shocking trainers out there!