Newbie with a 16-yr-old and a 1-yr-old husky

Hello,

I am looking forward to checking in from time to time. I have two huskies: Nikita, who is 16 and still enjoys walks twice a day, and Dakota, who is 1 (I adopted him in April) and enjoys hiking and running with me 2 or 3 times a day. The two get along wonderfully, in spite of the age difference. We live in Atlanta, GA, USA.

Best wishes,

Cathy

post-431-13585943351254_thumb.jpg

hi, welcome to the site, its great here i only joined last week and have received loads of great advice already, i thought my isha was old at 10 but shes still a spring chicken compared to yours lol i also rehomed a 1 year old last week and they are getting on ok but not wonderfully, how long did it take for yours to bond? they are both stunning by the way.

Cathy - What a gorgeious pair! Wow, sixteen. That must be some kind of record. It shows you've taken excellent care of Nikita. Welcome and enjoy.

Wow! Thank you for such prompt and welcoming replies! I will certainly search out the "Golden Oldies" for my Nik -- he never ceases to amaze me. We did our last 5k together in December (when he was 15.5 years old); he had to walk that one, but in all prior years he ran with me. I'll have to build an album soon. Dakota is taking up where Nik left off; we ran our first 5k together in June.

@ debs: congratulations on your new addition. It did take about 3-4 weeks for us to get Nikita and Dakota used to each other. At first, we kept them completely separated in separate rooms. Then we gradually allowed them "together" time with Dakota in a crate and Nikita free to sniff and check him out. Eventually, we'd all spend evenings together in the family room, with Dakota on a leash at first until we were sure we could verbally control him (as much as you can control a husky puppy!) with "no" and "sit" if he tried to play too rough with Nik. Now they both eat out of the same bowl together and walk together well on leashes. However, I do still separate them when I am not at home. Nik's a bit too fragile to leave him unsupervised with any dog.

Hi Cathy,

Welcome to Husky Owners - the people on here are really nice and helpful,and I'm sure you will enjoy checking in regularly :)

Congraulations on Nikita and Dakota - 16 is some age and you have obviously taken great care of him to get to that age - Well Done ;)

Warm Regards from Hampshire UK,

Kevin & The Girls:bullseye: