OMG, i want a Huskita!!! reputable breeder??

http://www.huskita.com/Home_Page.html

check it out!

what do you think...good or bad decision? my friend recently rescued an older Akita/Husky, i think she's about 4 months, and i was doing some research for her and i found that site and i think im in love lol!!

their really cute but more importantly their good guard dogs, would you ever consider buying a mixed breed, do you think this woman sounds reputable?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No reputable breeder of either huskies or akitas would ever dream of mixing these two very different breeds (or any other breeds for that matter). There are enough breeds out there to satisfy anyone's desires. To create "new" breeds or deliberate crossbreeds is IMHO unbelievably irresponsible. Apart from anything else, you would never know what you were going to get from such a mix. If you got the potential aggression and guarding instinct of the akita with the self confidence of the husky, you could end up with a very dangerous dog indeed.

I love huskies and I love Akitas, but they are very different breeds and should never be crossed.

Absolutely crazy (and I speak as someone who has owned both breeds).

Mick

In my opinion if anyone is purposley cross breeding dogs they are not a reputable breeder in my view, they are nothing but BYB's.

Sorry, a rather blunt answer.

lol kinda blunt, but her dogs are well looked after and she has a lot of space and other animals, she seems like a loving dog owner. I know this young man that breeds dogs and he told me the only reason he got a bitch was to make money, his dogs have flees >> he only worms them so they dont look skinny>> he would be classed as a BYB and truly the scum of the earth but i don't think people like this woman should be classes in the same category as him!

Alaska or Balto are both non KC and the owner was a very nice man, were still in contact, his sibes are soo well looked after, but then again i don't believe papers make a dog and all dogs were crossed bred at some point!

But i see where your coming from, cross breeding can result in sickly puppies with behavioral disorders and as a result of this will most likely end up in a shelter, i just thought this woman seemed kinda reputable but then again i know nothing about breeding and breeders..lol...hopeless:rolleyes:

No reputable breeder of either huskies or akitas would ever dream of mixing these two very different breeds (or any other breeds for that matter). There are enough breeds out there to satisfy anyone's desires. To create "new" breeds or deliberate crossbreeds is IMHO unbelievably irresponsible. Apart from anything else, you would never know what you were going to get from such a mix. If you got the potential aggression and guarding instinct of the akita with the self confidence of the husky, you could end up with a very dangerous dog indeed.

I love huskies and I love Akitas, but they are very different breeds and should never be crossed.

Mick

O okay, i didn't know this lol! it's just her reasoning sounded good, i do also love Akita's, and my friends puppy

is a really nice puppy and his really well behaved but i guess it's luck of the draw? Do you own any Akita's now? are they really different to the husky?

I have..

Personal experience of a poorly trained Akita, I fostered one for a few weeks (at massive cost to me) to save it froma very poor home and he was a real handful.

That said Kai was a beautiful dog with impeccable pedigree lines and I dare say if I'd got him 6 months earlier then I may still have had him.

Why though would you want to cross a breed originally used to hunt bears with one that has the stamina to run all day? Can't see the logic. If you want a gaurd dog buy a Schnauzer - bark at a spider walking by the house but wouldn't hurt a fly.

No logic in my eyes.

her reasoning sounded good? Sorry don't want to be mean here but...

Very shortly after acquiring these two dogs I came to the conclusion that I would like an Akita with Jack's ice blue eyes, so I bred the two and got what I wanted.

um...yeah fab reason to cross them

A Huskita bloody hell I thought Id heard it all ,I v owened both Akita and husky and would never have thought of mixing them .I dont understand anyone who goes out and deliberatly mixes any breed then again some people would do anything for money ,sorry just my opinion !!!:confused:

i can see that these mixes will probably have big time health problems if it gets the husky bone stature and akita general build...To me it just looks like a fat husky and i personally wouldn't have one! I would be worried about the worst of the 2 breeds coming out, i certainly wouldn't go handing cash out to people that cross breed because it encourages them to continue, there are probably plenty similar in rescue centres waiting for the right home and you should always check there first if you want a cross breed, they are better vet checked, they have been (or will be) spayed or nutered, and they will have had a behavioural assessment. Sorry if it isn't what you wanted to hear, but health of the dog and the breed is paramount.

her reasoning sounded good? Sorry don't want to be mean here but...

um...yeah fab reason to cross them

the reasoning of the akitas guarding attributes and the friendliness of the sibe.

And lol don't worry everyone, im not buying one, i just wanted to know what you all thought, and hey i get where each and every one of you are coming from....i just thought if you could get the best of both breeds it would be good..plus my friends puppy is adorable:o

also i wanted to know if you thought she was reputable .. but for now im sticking with my 2 sibes, i do absolutely love the akita, i have just never been introduced to kc side, lol we got these 2 puppies with no papers and will have a forever home with us.....so have never stressed about the papers but care more about the parents health, and condidtion, the home and the people and so far we made a good choice, balto and alaska are both healthy, well adjusted dogs and we love em to bits:rolleyes:

but thanks for all opinions, her excuse was a bit lame and i notice she hasn't kept one of the puppies to say "yep, their healthy, are good guard" dogs and so on....

the reasoning of the akitas guarding attributes and the friendliness of the sibe.

it's imposiible to know what your going to get when you cross a breed, you have no idea what puppies you'll get, how their temperament will be or how they will be built! They are both wonderful breeds but crossing them to me just seems iresponsible! Also worth considering i s have the parents been hip scored/eye tested??? i would asume probably not! The health of the breed should be far more important.

There are ever increasing number of cross breeds......and these are becoming designer dogs.....i'm sure alot of people take these dogs on because they look nice and are seen as 'cool' but don't fully understand what they are taking on!

Only my opinion but I would hate to see the pure bred sibes becomingt the minority as more and more cross bred puppies appear!

hey lucy, yh i know, i guess when i saw the site the first thing that popped into my head was "oh cute puppies" but i guess there's more too it, im always needing bringing back a notch or two, alaska's mum had another litter and i asked my mum if we could get one and she said no because we need to focus on training the two weve got >> makes sense right! just get ahead of myself lol

didn't mean to offend anyone though! i know when people breed for money and un-just causes it kind of narks off proper dog owners :S

I didn't actually look at their website before making my earier reply, which was based just on my gut instinct and experience of those who crossbreed deliberately. Having now looked at it closely, I am more than ever convinced that they are just irresponsible backyard breeders, pure and simple. None of their dogs appear to be have been shown, so they have not in any way had their quality independently assessed (and to me their Akitas look pretty poor quality). There is no evidence of any health tests being carried out - they refer to thyroid problems with Akitas and seem to assume that by crossbreeding they will breed this out, which is very naive - if the Akita has thyroid problems, they will pass it on. The only real way to avoid this is to test your animals and spey/neuter any suffering from thyroid problems, not breed from them.

They have been so impressed by the "demand" for their crossbreeds that they have bought in another poor quality Akita female to breed from.

I hope they are keeping their two Akita bitches apart as otherwise they are likely to kill each other. Akitas are well known for their propensity to fight with dogs of the same sex. Our Akita bitch, Holly, grew up with our girl Chrystelle from baby puppies, but once they hit puberty, Holly just wanted to kill her old friend. Holly, although kept separately, managed to break into the area where Chrystelle was one day and although I managed to separate them, both dogs were left with serious lacerations, and I ended up having 20+ stitches in my hands and arm where I had been bitten while trying to separate them. If the crosses inherit this characteristic, the new owners might not find out until it is too late.

Although the "huskita" pups look cute, the grown up dogs look like what they are - dodgy crosses:

Sorry, but to me they are just irresponsible idiots breeding purely for money!

Mick

I agree that people who are crossing breeds to make designer dogs are wrong. They seem to be making so much money. Someone I work with paid 1500 for a labradoodle, crazy! I was told by the kennel club that you should never pay more than 600 for a puppy (unless its from a racing line, as I was asking about huskies). I don't think that crossbreeding is wrong though, I just think that there should be guidelines as to whats allowed. I mean look at Alaskan huskies, they're not a pedigree!

They are mixed breeds, no purebred dogs. A mixed breed you can get from a shelter, without money, that money you can weist on food, toys, accesories.

This person is not correct for crossing breeds, he destroy them.

Why this planet needs more and more and more puppy millers?

I don't think that crossbreeding is wrong though, I just think that there should be guidelines as to whats allowed. I mean look at Alaskan huskies, they're not a pedigree!

I think you will find that the breeders of Alaskan Huskies are every bit as knowledgable and jealous of their dogs' pedigrees as are breeders of AKC/KC recognised pedigree dog breeds. Alaskan Huskies may not be a Kennel Club recognised breed, but that does not mean that they are the result of any old dog and any old bitch being bred together. They are extremely carefully bred for speed and working attitude, and, as a purely racing animal, their looks are unimportant, it is their performance that matters.

The difference between Alaskan and Siberian Huskies is that Siberian Husky breeders are (or should be) trying to preserve all aspects of an existing breed, whereas Alaskan breeders are trying to maximise performance alone.

For me there is a big difference in breeding dogs specifically to do a job (Alaskan Huskies, Lurchers etc) and breeding dogs simply because they look nice and can make the breeder some easy cash.

Mick

Mick

Absolutely agree with Mick on all points.

I cannot stand crossbreeding and I am completely against it. Nothing annoys me more than the designer mutt craze that is so popular at the moment.

lol kinda blunt, but her dogs are well looked after and she has a lot of space and other animals, she seems like a loving dog owner. I know this young man that breeds dogs and he told me the only reason he got a bitch was to make money, his dogs have flees >> he only worms them so they dont look skinny>> he would be classed as a BYB and truly the scum of the earth but i don't think people like this woman should be classes in the same category as him!

Websites can be very deceiving. I wouldn't assume she is a responsible dog owner or breeder purely from what she says she is on the internet - for example, look at this website:

http://www.rivergumdesignerpuppies.com.au/index.html

They say they are responsible, the website is nice, they have a big property where the dogs can all run together. Don't be fooled by the website though - she's a well known, big scale puppy farmer.

Alaska or Balto are both non KC and the owner was a very nice man, were still in contact, his sibes are soo well looked after, but then again i don't believe papers make a dog and all dogs were crossed bred at some point!

Not all dogs were crossbreeds at some point, that is a common myth. For example - Siberian Huskies are one of fourteen Ancient breeds that developed almost naturally.

Check this out if you want to know more:

http://www.workingdogweb.com/RSH-2004-2.htm

And for those breeds that were developed using a mix of dogs, it was nothing like crossbreeding is today, there was no 'oh I think I'll just put x dog with y and see what happens" - everything was done for a point, carefully selected, and the ultimate goal was to breed true to a specific breed standard.

And lol don't worry everyone, im not buying one, i just wanted to know what you all thought, and hey i get where each and every one of you are coming from....i just thought if you could get the best of both breeds it would be good..plus my friends puppy is adorable:o

That is one of the biggest problems with crossbreeding. People are fooled into thinking they can 'get the best of both breeds' when in reality, it is impossible to control genetics, and you neither nor the breeder for that matter will ever be able to predict which combination of traits you will get from either breed. Unlike purebreds which breed predictably to a set breed standard and have done in some cases for many centuries.

quote from the website:

We purposely bred our purebred male Husky to our purebred female Akita for several reasons:

First, we thought they would be beautiful puppies and dogs - They are!

Second, the purebred Akitas have a high propensity for thyroid problems which causes problems with their skin and coats.

Third, Huskies like to run off on their own, whereas Akitas are homebodies and are very protective of their owners.

We are highly confident we got the best of both breeds.

Lastly, it is our belief that papers in this instance are useless; both parents have papers and they mean nothing to us - we want dogs that are both beautiful and have the traits we want.

exactley what you was just on bout bec