OMG, i want a Huskita!!! reputable breeder??

great post bec, added to rep.

some crossbreeds are ok when its non-intentional like with my mums dog rusty - his mum ran off and came back pregnant. Howeve when the so-called "owners" purposely cross breed dogs that are already perfect in their own way just for the hell of it, thats what annoys me most.

I remember hearing once that there is a breed out there to suit everyones need, but these days of purpose cross breeding makes me unsure of that saying!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember hearing once that there is a breed out there to suit everyones need, but these days of purpose cross breeding makes me unsure of that saying!

IMO there is a purebred to suit everyone. The majority of dogs in shelters and pounds are crossbreeds, if I wanted one, I would just go to a rescue and get one.

There is nothing intentionally bred crossbreeds can do that a good purebred dog can't, people cross poodles and labs to get a non shedding dog (even though most of these crosses shed) because they claim there aren't enough purebred dogs for people who want cute, non shedding shaggy looking dogs. Most people only think of poodles, but there are so many purebred dogs who are guaranteed low or non shedders that fit the shaggy dog look, such as:

- Portugese Water dogs

- curly coated retrievers

- Lagottos

- Irish water spaniels

- Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers (in fact a huge range of terriers for that matter!!)

- Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen

Not to mention any of the Schnauzers, Poodles in non-sporting clips, Bichons, Havenese, and more!

We don't promote purebreds enough whereas crossbreeders market their dogs very well, even though most of what they "market" is absolute crap i.e. poodle crossers are non-shedding, they are healthier because of hybrid vigour (total rubbish - hybrid vigour exists in purebred dogs, it is simply mating two unrelated dogs together), you get the best of both breeds etc. In reality most poodle crosses shed, a lot of health problems occur even with the tiny percentage of crossbreeders who do health test such as structural/joint issues that crop up from breeding together two dogs of very different structure and type etc. And of course - there is no way to control genetics. You cannot guarantee you will get the 'best of both breeds' because you have no idea which traits will end up where.

Crossbreeding is a well marketed fad, we are seeing a lot of 'designer dogs' coming through rescue now because they aren't what the owners were told they were, and the breeders will sell to anyone because all they care about is making a quick buck. I am constantly gobsmacked at the prices people pay for these dogs, there is a breeder of "labradoodles" here that sells pups for $4500 EACH!! :eek:

Show these pictures to Joe Blow and they will probably think they are designer mutts:

Lagotto-Romagnolo-pictures-2.jpg

petit_basset_griffon_03.jpg

urljpeg.jpg

All of the dogs above are purebred dogs (Lagottos, PBGV, PWD). There are more than 200 purebreds out there - there is definitely a breed to suit everyone.

Agree 100% bec. We need more people like you and other members on here around and maybe, just maybe, may be able to put a stop against to this!

Ive not come accross anyone yet but if anyone did come up to me and said about wanting a non-shedding dog then I would say go to the toy store and buy a cuddly toy dog as there is no such thing as a non-shedding dog IMO. Dogs shedding is a naural part of the dogs lifestyle and whatever dog you get they are going to shed some amount of fur no matter what.

Agree 100% bec. We need more people like you and other members on here around and maybe, just maybe, may be able to put a stop against to this!

Ive not come accross anyone yet but if anyone did come up to me and said about wanting a non-shedding dog then I would say go to the toy store and buy a cuddly toy dog as there is no such thing as a non-shedding dog IMO. Dogs shedding is a naural part of the dogs lifestyle and whatever dog you get they are going to shed some amount of fur no matter what.

There are definitely some purebreds that shed less than others. But what people often don't realise is that breeds like poodles that have a low shedding coat need regular grooming every 6-8 weeks which can be quite expensive, especially for a larger dog. So there is always a maintenance trade off, either have one who sheds a lot or one that doesn't shed much but has a coat that needs regular clipping.

Some of the sight hounds like Whippets, Iggies, Greyhounds etc don't shed much because their coat is so fine - short coated breeds like beagles, labs etc shed quite a lot because their coat is thicker. And we all know how much Sibes shed! I don't recommend them to people who don't want dog hair everywhere :)

I just don't like seeing people ripped off and told things that can effect their relationship with the dog - for example people who are told by the breeder that a poodle cross is non shedding, good for allergies etc only to buy a pup who grows up to have a shedding coat. Then they have to rehome it because it affects their allergies :(

Purebreds are predictable and this allows us to best chose a breed to suit out lifestyle, crossbreeds don't afford us the same choice.

I had to LOL at this part from her website:

These purebred traits and diseases are another reason that I wanted to mix the breeds. I am a firm believer that in general a mixed breed dog will be healthier than a purebred. It is certainly possibly that any of the puppies from this mix could have undesirable traits from either of the parent breeds. But again, I feel the chances are better with the mix.

What does she mean by 'the chances are better' with the mix? How can she say the chances are better for the good traits to over ride the bad? She must have magic powers that can control genetics :rofl:

One other thing I will add is that if either an Akita or Siberian is not suitable for someone, for whatever reason, why on earth would you buy a cross between the two and risk that the very trait you don't like or aren't suited to, could end up in your puppy?

thanks for all the links, that other website with designer breeds >> she does have a large property and other animals...can be fooling. I really did think that if they could get the best of both breeds it would be good. But my mum said we cant have one anyway >> for those reasons

- doesn't know about the health, what if the puppies inherit helath problems from the sibe and the akita

- her akitas sound as if they suffer from bad throid problems

- my mum wants a kc akita from the UK who IS repuatable

>>>> soo i'll just leave it to my mum, actually my mum never wanted a dog due to fear of not being home, not having enough money or commitments, but she went to spain so i thought id suprise her with 1!!! bad i know but to be fair if my mum was to choose a puppy she may have gone about it a different way lol

My mum also hates these 'designer breeds' her grandma and aunt both won prizes at crufts and have succesfully bred dashunds (cnt spell) for years..the 'right' way.

But the website just cuaght my eye and i wanted to know what you all thought about it!