Off leash training

Alex T

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try a martingale or limited slip collar, they are used for dogs like Greyhounds who have heads thinner or the same width as their necks.

It is the only type of collar I will use as it is will never go over their head.

thats the same as what we have on Bandit as he can easily slip normal collars.

wow isis is getting big! and great work, i tried this with alaska when she was 3-4months and the outcome was terrible, she would run off to every dog, bird, tree....ROCK!! anything but come back lol....and then i found cheese in it's true glory :) haha alaska comes back great now at 10 months, and i know what people say about only in enclosed areas, but we went away for easter and i took her to the beach everyday off leash, i take her to a semi enclosed park everyday, and feilds and she always comes back.

heres my trick, if she sees another dog i'll let her go and have a sniff and maybe even a little play, same with the birds, then i start walking off and in a high ptiched tone i say "ALASKAAAAA!" and she comes whizzing over and i give her some cheese and continue to walk off. I found out she likes playing football and loves it when i kick around a tennis ball, so the ball comes along on every walk, she would rather play with me than investiagte another dog which is great.

I mean she is a husky so to be hinest i have to keep calling when she's playing to remind her i still want her to come, so it's about 3 "ALASKAAAAAA's" and 2 "comeeeeee's" and she is a real star off lead, if she finds a dead bird or rabbit i say leave it and offer her some cheese instead, even iff she has picked it up she drops within an instance if told.

She now will aslo work for dy food...so keep up the good work as it's always a nice feeling to see your dog whizzing in the beach and swimming knowing she will come back :)

i dont let her walk off - leash when were on the road, nor is the park near any main roads;)