Off leash training

Alex T

Whilst we were away i thought id attempt some off leash training with Isis - just incase she ever managed to get off or escape from the yard.

Found a nice quiet part of the field enclosed on 3 sides and took a load of treats with me - started by calling her back whilst she was on the lead, getting her to sit and gave her treat, after a while i let her off and continued to do the same. I didnt allow her to get too far away before calling her back though!

Its great what treats can achieve!

[ame]

[/ame]

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She took off once - just to the right of that field theres a pond down a hill - fenced off thankfully - but she heard a duck and went to see what it was! Luckily she just sat and stared at it, so she was easily caught - but i was thinking OMFG what have i done letting her off as she pounded towards it!

Great work Alex! It's lovely to see your dogs enjoying training so much :D

As she starts working more and more reliably in low distraction environments try adding higher levels of distraction, i.e. get her to recall when she is near other dogs/playing with other dogs etc. The more situations you proof for, the more reliable her recall will become :)

Great work Alex! It's lovely to see your dogs enjoying training so much :D

As she starts working more and more reliably in low distraction environments try adding higher levels of distraction, i.e. get her to recall when she is near other dogs/playing with other dogs etc. The more situations you proof for, the more reliable her recall will become :)

thanks for the advice - hopefully i can get her to be reliable!

Just be careful alex a siberian huskie as a great desire to run , they are very intelligent dogs and have a mind of there own and will only obey a command if they see the reason..

Dont worry she wont be off the leash that much as the only places she can walk around by us is around the streets, or the canal. There is 1 field close by, but the local yobs normally smash bottles all over it - I just want to instill in her that if she ever gets loose whilst on a walk its worth coming back to me!

Diesel can even get out of his harness. had to catch him once , my heart went in my mouth ..

:eek: scary!!! Ive not had that, yet!! Bandit slipped his collar once when we were at home so he now has the half check collar now so he can't slip it!

I've never tried it myself but was told by another sibe owner we met when we first had Gizmo that if they do wriggle/slip their collar and run off to run in the opposite way :confused: instead of after them. To be honest I dont think I would want to run the other way if they did as there is no guarantee that they would follow.

blaze slipped his collar 2day i nearly had a heart attack! luckily i was outside my mums m8s house chattin bout their new sibe n all he did was run in their house gave their birds a nasty fright tho

Most Sibes can slip flat collars easily as they have fairly narrow heads and lots of fur, which makes it hard to fit a flat collar correctly.

yeah i now think its too loose so will either put an extra hole in it or swap wit bings collar agen as i can make that tighter

Try a martingale or limited slip collar, they are used for dogs like Greyhounds who have heads thinner or the same width as their necks.

It is the only type of collar I will use as it is will never go over their head.