Kayla's Diary/Progress

Monday, November 15, 2010

So after realizing Kayla had a problem being aggressive to other dogs I decided to get some help with her. I have just received a call back from the final reference and I believe I'll be going with Canine Cottage here locally. The woman seems wonderful I guess I am just nervous about the whole situation. She will be stopping by to do a home evaluation tomorrow. While I am nervous I'm actually excited at the same time to get my girl back to being able to go to dog parks without worry even walking down the road without worry of harm coming to her and the other dogs as well.

Even just talking with her while I did I learned a few things that I would not have known had I not come to this site or to her. I have a good feeling about this. Tonight she's cuddled up next to me while I play around on the laptop and type this.

Massive well done for recognising that you/she needed profesional help! And getting it so quickly! If Im remembering right shes still quite young and you rescued her from a bad situation so with the love and suport your giving her plus the help you'll get from the behaviourist Im sure she'll be turned around in no time at all! :D

Nov 16, 2010

Quick update as we're getting storms tonight and been a busy day between the trainer and trying to get the rescues where I received Kayla's website done.

Upon arriving early she knocked on the door. Both Kayla and Pecan (my GSD/Lab mix) ran to the door, Pecan had gotten to close to Kayla's face and Kayla tore into her. The trainer helped me separate them and told me already one of my mistakes was allowing them to rush to the door like that. After seeing how Kayla and myeslf interacted. She just let me do my routine while making notes which actually made it less stress free for myself having to stop what I was doing so she could correct me on the spot. After watching what we usually do for about an hour she said she had seen enough. She went over everything with me which took about another 30 minutes. She asked me how serious I was to get Kayla trained and back into the Dog parks and such, at first I thought she was about to tell me she wanted more money then what she first stated for the program I'd put Kayla through. But no she just said that training a dog cannot be 1/2 assed. We will be working out a schedule over the next few days that fits both of us. Sorry I can't get more detailed I will when these stupid storms stop and I can get a few more of the subpages to Kayla's rescue done.

Ok done with messing with the site for now and it's stopped lightning. Had to clean Kayla up she decided she wanted to go play in the mud tonight. She was telling me when I spoke to Kayla it sounded more like pleading with her to listen to me. unsure.gif Can't really listen to myself but she assured me I was. She also noted the tone in my voice when trying to break Kayla and Pecan up and said I was projecting to much energy to break up the fight.... Now I'm not sure how I can curb that seeing as I don't want Pecan hurt (She's 10 years old and has bad back legs. She has dislocated her back hips numerous times) not to mention I don't think she can handle to many more fights the old girl, but nor do I want Kayla hurt. But I will work on that at least try. But all in all she seems really on par but again I'm on unfamiliar territory.

I'm really appreciative she allowed me to just keep usually doing what I do with Kayla without stopping to correct me that way I know everything I'm doing wrong unhindered. I'm feeling better about her but still a little nervous but all in all I think this will be a good experience.

She sounds very good - I particularly like that she came to your home to see how you and the dogs all interact together, and she seems to have a pretty good grasp of what she is doing. You might see if she can video tape you while you're working with her, then maybe you could see what she is talking about when she says you're pleading with her.

Do you get National Geographic Channel? Have you ever watched The Dog Whisperer? He also is big on the dogs not rushing the door and showing people how to be the leader. I understand that the show is also available through Netpicks...

Good luck! smile.gif

She sounds very good - I particularly like that she came to your home to see how you and the dogs all interact together, and she seems to have a pretty good grasp of what she is doing. You might see if she can video tape you while you're working with her, then maybe you could see what she is talking about when she says you're pleading with her.

Do you get National Geographic Channel? Have you ever watched The Dog Whisperer? He also is big on the dogs not rushing the door and showing people how to be the leader. I understand that the show is also available through Netpicks...

Good luck! smile.gif

Yes I try to watch it when I can I know they did an episode on Season 6 Episode 11 I believe on a Husky tried to find it on the net but cannot find it. But the good thing is they are rebroadcasting it on 11/24