Problems with Grey at the park yesterday

Ok so we took the dogs to the dog park yesterday, Kira, Grey and OH's mums dogs, Yuki n Buster.

Kira, Yuki n Buster were fab, played nicely, didnt bug the other dogs if they didnt want to play etc etc.

Grey ended up in a fight, now he is not agressive, he is fine off the lead, tho can sometimes act up on the lead. But he is really playful, and its rough play. Obviously Sibes play quite rough anyway, every young sibe I've met has wrestled and been quite rough, and thats fine with other sibes, because they understand that its just play and they enjoy it.

But he was jumping around this young (about a year old) lab, mouthing his neck and putting his paws on him etc etc, the dog played back but it soon got too rough for him and he was telling Grey to back off, before I could grab Grey the lab went for him, fair enough, but Grey fought back frown.gif

He is just so thick skulled! He doesnt get that the other dog does not wanna play now, and ignores warning signals etc. After the fight I managed to grab him n put him on the lead and we sat down, but cus he was on lead he was growling at other dogs, we left soon after.

He does the same with Kira, and I used to have to physically remove him from her and crate him. I've now got him to the stage where he will normally stop if I say 'leave', if he carries on he goes in the crate. I let them play if Kira initiates it.

How can I get him to play like a normal dog?? He wont just play chase or anything, he ALWAYS mouths the other dog and tries to jump all over it. frown.gif

It totally ruined our trip out for both me, OH and the other 3 dogs frown.gif

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is, its not just the other owners, its the other dogs too! he needs to learn to play like a normal dog (if Kira can do it he can too) otherwise he's just gunna cause problems.

ATM I dont wanna take him back there again, which means Kira misses out too :(

How long have they been together? We are having similar issues. Andy is great with other dogs, but when he's done, he's done. Jackson just doesn't know when to stop, even when Andy tells him he's done. It does seem to be getting better, a little every day. I think you have to work on socializing....every day, and the one thing I've found effective is having a water bottle handy. A squirt in the face usually breaks up the hassle. I will be watching for responses.

Huggles xx

It's not something that you can train them to do I wouldn't have thought - it's just the way they are....my two play like that and give as good as they get with each other - they difference being they know each others limitations - he won't know the other dogs limitations and personal boundaries.

"Siberian Huskies are highly intelligent, sensitive and energetic. They are funny, playful, athletic and love, in fact NEED to be with their pack/family. They were bred to run and need daily exercise. They can be food aggressive. Husky dogs playing, looks more like fighting, but it is just rough play. There is so much to learn about this pack animal ! "

Just did a google search for Rough Husky Play and came across this quote. Here's the site it came fromSibe Assist ....maybe you will find something helpful. Makes me feel better that their play is rough with each other. Mine do play with a rat terrier beagle type mix and do okay, but now that they are bonding as a pack, they are not as interested in Lucie anymore. :(

Huskies play fight it what they do. People at camp will have seen Shaer and Talon at it. Even though Talon is nearly twice as big as talon she gives him as good as he gives her.On our nightly walk there is a place where they always fight, first one there waits for the other and they go for it. People passing must think it is a real fight but to them it's just play.

[ATTACH]6451.IPB[/ATTACH]I'd be afraid that the muzzle might send the wrong message. You might want to leave a traffic lead on him so you can give him a grab and get him out of the mess without getting your hand in the middle of the mouths. He probably wouldn't want to bite you, but when all those mouths are open and playing, it's dangerous!!![ATTACH]6450.IPB[/ATTACH]

post-2509-13585957009258_thumb.jpg

post-2509-13585957010164_thumb.jpg

I would say that muzzling should only be done on an aggessive dog and grey isnt aggressive he plays rough like a husky. storm is really playful and as expected he's rough. other dogs cant read his behaviour (other than huskys) and owners cant either. i now only let him play with huskys cos otherwise storm gets blamed/accused of being aggressive when he's not and it pi**es me off. They think is woooooh woooooh is him being aggressive when he is just saying hello....can i have a kiss please!

We regulalry meet up with a couple who have an intact male. they get on great. as soon as they meet (both always remain on lead) they jump up to each other and have a good hugging wrestle!! people in the carpark must think we just let them fight - but they are playing and pleased to each other.

You either need to keep grey away from other dogs or warn other dog owners that he is rough when playing but if it gets out of control you are a responsible dog owner and you will intervene. its difficult cos the other breed wont understand the rough playing and a fight may break out usually caused by the other dog

Is grey neutered?

The muzzle might make things worse actually. If he feels self conscious with the leash on (which is normally what leash aggression boils down to) the muzzle will probably have the same affect.

My girls play like this too. As well as the 2 boys now. But they know the warning signs and will back off if another dog isn't interested in their style. It honestly just sounds like Grey hasn't been around too many dogs (or at least when he was young) and wasn't properly taught how to interact and not be "rude." Which is essentially how he's behaving. I would practice recall with Grey (if he doesn't have a good one now) and begin recalling him when other dogs are giving warning signs. Grey does have to be taught what is acceptable and what is not. If you know anyone with older more socialized dogs you may want to have Grey around them more so they can teach him what's not acceptable. Cheyenne gave it to Mishka quite a few times during her first months here, and Mishka learned and is very respectable of other dogs now. But she has also been raised around her own large pack as well as new dogs at the dog park and work.

The more you work with Grey on this, the better behaved and socialized he will become. If you stop taking him altogether, things won't get better i'm afraid. You have to think of what matters more.

Was it a real actual fight where the other dog was injured? Or just a little squabble?

hun if youve managed to get kira to watch her steps im sure you can train grey to do it to - remember he has been attacked before tho - so thats probably where hes learnt to fight back , try the water bottle thing hopefully he will learn that once he starts playing too rough he gets squirted

Stevo plays reaally rough with every one apart from jack my older dog who is most def his boss!!! Even puppy dodge who is only 14 weeks and him play people must think stevo is killing him but dodge gives as good as he gets must be the 1/4 husky in him! He has never really hurt him though just always looks bad lol:D

one of them probably would have got hurt if no one had intervened, and yes he's been neutered

He likes water so that wont work. I'll just have to shadow him and remove him if hes getting too rough....

Even if he likes the water, getting a squirt in the face unexpectedly might be enough to stop the interaction. You could also add a little lemon juice to the water. Won't like the way it tastes and a little sting in the eye if you get him there, but it won't hurt him. I really don't like causing pain for discipline. Sometimes they need enough distraction that is not fun!

No it's not necessarily aggressive behaviour, but it is very rude, pushy and dominant and could be something that develops into aggression.

Grey needs to learn that it is not his right to play with every dog he sees, it is a privilege and that he can only greet and play with other dogs when YOU say it's ok. He also needs to learn what is an appropriate way to greet other dogs and what behaviour is not appropriate. I'd be keeping him on a long line and would reward him when he approaches other dogs in a calm manner. As soon as he starts getting too rough and aroused, the play needs to end. If he is too excitable, he does not get to greet the other dogs. Yes this might mean that some walks he doesn't get to greet other dogs at all, but he needs to learn that exhibiting certain behaviour means that the privilege of greeting and playing with another dog will be revoked.

How old is Grey? Loki's still an exuberant puppy and if a grumpy older dog doesn't want to play, he'll keep jumping at them and mouthing them, trying to get them to play. He's been growled and nipped at a few times and learns to submit.

He wouldn't submit before, but then I took him to visit my surrogate mother's nine year old great dane who wouldn't tolerate that, he'd body slam Loki into a wall and he quickly learned he can't just play with older dogs that don't want to play with him. My mother's golden retriever gave him a nice scar on the nose for trying to play.

Sometimes it's best to let them live and learn. Now, I understand you can't do this with stranger's dogs because of liability. Perhaps he just wasn't taught as a pup he can't just play when he wants to, as he was a single dog?

Seppalla's best lead dog, Togo was super rambunctious as a puppy. When you look at photos of him, you'll notice that part of his ear is missing. When he was a pup he decided to nip and tease at a sled team of Malamutes which really mauled him up. After that, he was a great lead dog because he would avoid oncoming teams or teams he had to move over for- which as Seppala put is one of the most difficult things to train a lead dog to do.

Sorry to hear this Sid, Grey has always been like that he is just so playfull and never took the hint when a dog had had enough just thought it was play untill the dog got serious and even then it was stopped or over in seconds! Grey is not aggresive he just wants to play, I will be honest its been a long time since i have met a sociable Lab most of em are real grumpy gits!.

Dont let Kira suffer because of this, i bet next time they will be fine, Dogs will be Dogs and fights will happen, you cant prevent it happening all the time.....

I will be honest its been a long time since i have met a sociable Lab most of em are real grumpy gits!.

I don't see how this is really relevant? Going by the OP, the lab told Grey to back off and he didn't listen. Many dogs don't like rough play. My dogs would tell a dog that got too rough with them to back off too. It may not be aggression now, but it is an issue if he won't listen to other dog's warning signals. Not only is that unfair to the other dogs, but Grey could get seriously hurt if he does it to the wrong dog.