Problems with Grey at the park yesterday

I don't see how this is really relevant? Going by the OP, the lab told Grey to back off and he didn't listen. Many dogs don't like rough play. My dogs would tell a dog that got too rough with them to back off too. It may not be aggression now, but it is an issue if he won't listen to other dog's warning signals. Not only is that unfair to the other dogs, but Grey could get seriously hurt if he does it to the wrong dog.

Its not relevant Becs i was just saying Jeez you do pick at things!! at the end of the day dogs will be dogs and no matter how brilliant you think your dog is fight's will happen, Grey is just a playfull boy always has been and yes he is persistant and dont take no for an answer, i did find Grey got better as time went on with us and his recall when confronting another dog that got annoyed with him was 75% of the time really good, He will soon learn the poor boy has only been with Sid about 6 weeks and as he dont go to the dog park every day, when he does go there its like a new thing, he was like that when we went to the Lido it was not a regular thing but when we did he like to be a pain but was completley different up the harp where we went every day....

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not relevant Becs i was just saying Jeez you do pick at things!! at the end of the day dogs will be dogs and no matter how brilliant you think your dog is fight's will happen, Grey is just a playfull boy always has been and yes he is persistant and dont take no for an answer, i did find Grey got better as time went on with us and his recall when confronting another dog that got annoyed with him was 75% of the time really good, He will soon learn the poor boy has only been with Sid about 6 weeks and as he dont go to the dog park every day, when he does go there its like a new thing, he was like that when we went to the Lido it was not a regular thing but when we did he like to be a pain but was completley different up the harp where we went every day....

I didn't mean to pick, it just seemed like you were excusing his behaviour.

It's not about my dogs, it is about me as an owner being able to observe a situation and knowing when to step in, and teaching my dogs that certain behaviour is and isn't acceptable.

Like I said in my post above, it's not just about the other dogs being confronted by a dog who doesn't listen to them when they say to back off, but Grey's safety if he doesn't back down to the wrong dog. He could get seriously hurt, as owners we should try to prevent dog fights from occuring and part of this is teaching our dogs how to greet others in a calm and non-confrontational manner. And props to Syd who obviously realises this or she wouldn't have started this thread asking for advice on how to fix Grey's behaviour around other dogs :)

If Lexy used to get too rough playing and / or I noticed the other dog was getting fed up, i would call her to get a treat or say 'Ah Ah' (like Victoria - it's me or the dog) or 'leave' and call her to me - make her sit then give her a treat and praise - it worked for us because she is v partial to treats and got used to the fact that 'ah ah' meant she had to calm what she was doing. We worked on the ah ah thing indoors and it translated well outside.

Rose what time are you guys going up? I might bring Nooks and Summer.

Aiming for 10am @ sids house rob, will be running the dogs in harness with our bikes ready for the elveden event, sid needs passing practice, well dogs do anyway (passing teams training) think we are going to a field sid knows about to do it.

Aiming for 10am @ sids house rob, will be running the dogs in harness with our bikes ready for the elveden event, sid needs passing practice, well dogs do anyway (passing teams training) think we are going to a field sid knows about to do it.

Ahhh I thought you meant the dp lol nm

Having him on a lead isnt a good idea, as he has a tendancy to go for other dogs if he is on one :( It would also be dangerous for the other dogs who are legging it around lol

Ricks mums lab has told him off before, but its just not enough, he needs a good bite to the face lol

I'll take some treats up there next time and see if he will recall to me, if not I will just have to be on his back all the time lol

The thing about dogs is they are dogs! They don't hold grudges and they don't remember. Try again...

are you saying that you think Greys behaviour is appropriate? And that Sid should put him in a situation where she knows he could be attacked/get in a fight with another dog because he won't back down when they warn him to?

Having him on a lead isnt a good idea, as he has a tendancy to go for other dogs if he is on one :( It would also be dangerous for the other dogs who are legging it around lol

I didn't mean have him on the leash all the time but he needs to learn there is a consequence to greeting and playing with other dogs in an inappropriate and confrontational way otherwise he will keep doing it.

I wouldn't let him off leash to play with other dogs when I knew he was going to get right in their face and not back down. It's dangerous for the other dogs and Grey. He needs to learn getting to greet and play with other dogs is a privilege not a right.

If he can't be around other dogs when he is on leash I would be addressing that too as that must be pretty inconvienent from your end!

So sorry to hear this Sid :( I did find that after Grey had the snip he calmed down a bit.

I completely agree that this is a Husky trait but at the same time can agree that this can be seen as rude and dominate behaviour toward other Dogs.

Cause thigs are still so fresh with Grey settling into his new family and pack maybe he just needs a little more time to learn Sid & Ricks authority????

I hope things get better and please keep me posted on how he is getting on with this. x x x x x

Im just not sure how to go about it, its like... keep him on lead and have more chance of him going for another dog and making a scene... or let him off and run the risk of him getting in a fight cus hes too rough....

Never had anything like this before.... Kira has been too good to me!! lol

we went to sids for training today, they all ran well, overtook with no problems a few times it was fun. when we were in sids house/ garden all the dogs got on fine even mishka/ kira. Grey was playing rough BUT when kavik shouted @ grey he actually put his tail down & did stop pestering him, grey played with sisko too, grey didn't take much notice of siskos warning signs to stop but he did cease a bit from his playing. we had no aggression at all from all 5 dogs. The thing that was very annoying is when we were running a chap walking his shepherd was being a real pain in the arse & messin about, let his dog come over to the dogs in harness after we asked him not to, 3 of the dogs were making a noise as they wanted to run & couldn't. Grey handled that well though. so grey can learn when dogs have had enough & will tell him as he did it when kavik shouted @ him firmly.

Yep, tho poor Kav has gone home with a cut underhis eye, guessing its thanks to Grey :rolleyes: Not too bad tho, hows it doing now Rose?? Post a pic of the injured soldier! lol

Yep Grey did back down, then pestered Sisko instead!! Mishka Moo peed on my floor and in Greys crate :lol: and tried to eat all the dog food the lil scrounger!! lol

No fights today, not even between Kira and Mish, a little grumbling but nothing that escalated, and we didnt need to keep them apart :)

It sounds like he is a very excited dog, I would recommend working him or walking him before mixing with other dogs in groups if this excites him so much.

Muzzling may send the wrong message as its a punishment he won't understand.

When my dog is to much for puppies I get him to stop by using a clicker the same you use for rewarding a dog. For our dog his reward is a treat.

Neutering if not already done will calm him down alittle

Dsc_7797.jpg

kav has scratched the sore area under his eye the other day & made it bleed a bit so looks a bit worse now , silly sod, vet said to just keep it clean & not put anything on it to help it dry up, thing is i must irritate him when healing then he scratches @ it so may need a buster collar on til it heals a bit better.