Hello from Texas

Hi. My husky puppy is a mix - half husky and half pointer, but he seems to resemble the husky side more so I thought I'd check out this forum and learn a bit.

Sneakers is 10 weeks old now and to be honest I didn't know much about huskys when we got him. We've been casually looking for a new dog since our old Labrador Retriever passed away and were trying to figure out breeds that would be good with our active sons (which rules out all the beautiful but "delicate" and yippy small dogs..) when our neighbor's aunt stopped by with a couple of puppies she was "selling" (I'm not sure I can consider asking $25 really selling, so I put that in quotes). I was putting away groceries and then went out to find this little guy who was just having a blast with my boys running around the front yard, yet was sweet and gentle enough to let the little 4 year old girl who lives in our culdesac pick him up and hold him while she petted him. So, we "bought" Sneakers....

So far he's been just great. I do walk him everyday - I'm working on getting him to walk nicely on a leash so he won't pull the boys down when he's older. My youngest son (6 years old) likes to run with him both on the leash and in the yard. My older son (9 yo) is working on teaching him to come, sit and stay.

Other than walking and running, how do you "play" with your husky? He seems to get nippy if I let the boys play tug of war with his toys, but he's not really that into fetching either. They are teaching him to dig in the sandbox, which I'm hoping he will do instead of digging in the yard (though I'll probably never be too sure if the kids or the dog dug a hole anyway..).

A big warm HELLO from the UK :) Thanks for joining, you'll have to get some pictures on of your new boy :)

Sibes are in a league of their own as I am sure you'll quickly learn lol

Huskies are not retriever dogs unlike Labs so you may struggle with that lol they have a mind of their own but are very intelligent and learn quickly :)

Look forward to seeing you around the site and to seeing your pics :) Bet he's gorgeous!

Welcome to the site! Most sibes dont play fetch butlove to chase a ball! When ours were younger we had loads of balls in the garden and kicked them round one by one....they loved that game! Any questions feel free to ask and we'll do our best to help you out! xx

welcome to the site sneakers sounds lovely wud luv 2 c sum piccies im new 2 the breed also blaze is our 1st sibe and hes just turned 6 months dont rly think he likes 2 fetch either i read sumwhere that tug ov war at a young age is not good as this encorages them to bite down on things if they acidentally bite down on something they arent supposed 2 have n u try and pull it off them and it results in a tug ov war game and then he will do it more ofter cuz he doesnt c it as a bad thing like we do he interprates it as a game hope this helped :) on that bit anyway

a couple ov good books to get are 'siberian huskies for dummies' by Diane Morgan and 'how to train your siberian husky' by Liz Palika

Welcome...

You'll find, as others have already said, huskies have a mind of their own and while playing (aka chasing/running/escaping) is number one on their list, few understand the meaning of 'fetch'. They are more apt to wonder why you threw the ball, if you wanted it back in the end.

The best advice I can give is to file any "lab" knowlege in a file called "things that once worked" and begin anew ---- with joy, patience, and more patience.

Welcome to the journey! It's a great place to be!

Hehe. Well, I guess we'll figure out what games to play. The boys "taught" him to play tag with them this afternoon. That was certainly fun to watch. <L> Now if we can just get him to tag without pulling on their clothes...

I find tug a great game to play with the dogs!

It is also a great way to reward the dog when you are doing training.

I play tug with my bitch, she knows that the 'ok' command means she can grab the tug and that the 'give' command means she has to let it go. It is also a great way to give them an outlet for their excess energy, and to teach them that it is ok to tug certain items when you give them permission, it teaches them a bit of control.

i agree so long as u r teaching them what is and what isnt ok to tug but if they just play tug ov war and then he glabs summin n u try 2 pull it off him cuz u dnt want him 2 have it then it isnt good for the pups learning but like smeagle said

I play tug with my bitch, she knows that the 'ok' command means she can grab the tug and that the 'give' command means she has to let it go. It is also a great way to give them an outlet for their excess energy, and to teach them that it is ok to tug certain items when you give them permission, it teaches them a bit of control.

then i dont c what harm that can do i was just telling you what i'd read rly

Hello and welcome to the site :)

Sneakers sounds gorgeous, can't wait to see some pics :)

As mentioned by everyone else, the Sibe has a mind and spirit of their own. This doesn't mean you can't teach them anything. Ive found with mine its all about bribery!

There are many different games you can play with your sibe. I play fetch with my boys and use this game as a way to teach recall with them (its not perfect though but a fun way to teach them).

We also play hide and seek with them behind the sofas, etc. We will also run and hide somewhere as then jump out at them and make them jump.

If its nice weather you can also play water games with them and let them join in the water fun.

Thanks all. I'm quite excited this morning. I've been working on the give command, but so far have had to pull it from his mouth and/or have a visible treat to give him. This morning after our walk, he grabbed the leash and started playing with it and I said "give" and waited a second before bending down to make him give it and he dropped it. I quickly grabbed a treat left in the bag in my pocket and gave him one. Woo hoo!

I feel like I"m using alot of treats lately, though...

Welcome! I'm another Southern Sibe owner (North Carolina)

We have three and a pup. He loves chasing the balls if we roll them, he loves an old soccer ball -he throws himself on it and then rolls off!

I wouldn't put up with any biting or nipping at all! It will only become a problem. If he bites, say NO and then ignore him -they want attention, so they get the hint! Our older dogs are very good at teaching our pup not bite but he thinks we are fair game. He is almost there but we have a ways to go.

We have a few hard bones for teething but if he whimpers now, I assume its teething and will give him frozen green beans, he loves them and they soothe his poor mouth!

welcome to the group, it's terribly addictive! Look forward to seeing some pics!

Thanks for the suggestion of playing tug, smeagle. I'd been told that it encourages pulling on stuff and not giving stuff back, but I've been doing it more the past couple of days and it is helping a LOT with our problem of nipping at our clothes. He's also proven that huskies CAN fetch if they want to. We've been playinng it with a specific toy - this big duck that quacks - and when I throw the duck, he gets it and brings it straight back to play. He's gotten to where if I just say "go get the duckie" he tracks it down (even if that means climbing over a barricade b/c I forgot he'd left it in another room) and brings it back ASAP. <L>

It is a rare Husky that will "fetch". They figure it this way ..... you threw it away so one or more of the following applies::D

Siberian Husky Property Laws

1. If I like it, its mine.

2. If its in my mouth, its mine.

3. If I had it a little while ago, its mine.

4. If I can take it from you, its mine.

5. If its mine, it must never be yours.

6. If it looks like mine, its mine.

7. If I saw it first, its mine.

8. If you are playing with something else and put it down, its mine.

9. If I am chewing something up, all the pieces are mine.

10. If it used to be yours, get over it.

11. If its broken, its yours.

And you will get plenty of exercise trying to get it back!:sweat:

Thanks for the suggestion of playing tug, smeagle. I'd been told that it encourages pulling on stuff and not giving stuff back, but I've been doing it more the past couple of days and it is helping a LOT with our problem of nipping at our clothes. He's also proven that huskies CAN fetch if they want to. We've been playinng it with a specific toy - this big duck that quacks - and when I throw the duck, he gets it and brings it straight back to play. He's gotten to where if I just say "go get the duckie" he tracks it down (even if that means climbing over a barricade b/c I forgot he'd left it in another room) and brings it back ASAP. <L>

You're very welcome Sneakersmama!

I find it helps a lot to give them an outlet where they can tug and use their prey drive, it helps them learn what is ok to pull on and what isn't :D You won't have a problem with them not giving them back as long as you make sure you teach them the 'give' command, playing tug is a great way to do this. I pull the toy in to my knees, hold it very still and say 'give' slowly as a way of teaching the command.

I always play tug with my dogs, they love it :up:

Oh and micha loves playing fetch, but that's only because he has a high prey drive and loves chasing things!!

It is a rare Husky that will "fetch". They figure it this way ..... you threw it away so one or more of the following applies::D

Siberian Husky Property Laws

1. If I like it, its mine.

2. If its in my mouth, its mine.

3. If I had it a little while ago, its mine.

4. If I can take it from you, its mine.

5. If its mine, it must never be yours.

6. If it looks like mine, its mine.

7. If I saw it first, its mine.

8. If you are playing with something else and put it down, its mine.

9. If I am chewing something up, all the pieces are mine.

10. If it used to be yours, get over it.

11. If its broken, its yours.

And you will get plenty of exercise trying to get it back!:sweat:

lmao these are great! I have something like this up in my hallway ! lmao