What earliest age can have 'raw hide' bone thingys

Sqwidge

Hiya

we were just wondering as Eika is killing us with her sharp little teeth...and all the 'chew' toys we have got her she doesn't chew!!!! our fingers are much much tastier...can she have raw hidey type things or is it best to wait a little longer?

I'm wary of rawhide for several reasons. First of all, know the process that your manufacturer uses to create it. Some use some pretty nasty chemicals. Also, have you ever taken one away from your dog? That slimy, sticky mess does the same thing in the stomach, and can even cause blockage.

I've never given them, the chemicals obviously scared me off.

I know many owners do provide them, and I'm sure they are given under a watchful eye.

suka has what is called a nyla bone it is basicaly a plasctic bone when they chew them up they make like little bristles helps clean there teeth the one i got him has jerky in the middle but he not reached it yet.

we did give him a rawhide chew which he seemed ok but has he had runs at time not really sure if it affected him in this way

I got Quinn a baby Nyla bone when he was a baby. He used to carry it everywhere and would sleep with it. It was too small for the adults to care. He also loved chewing on a big Elk leg bone, he'd lie on it like a lion in a tree :-)

Now he likes the big adult bones.

I can't get rawhide, mine swallow big chunks & the results aren't pretty.

He's teething now and loves frozen green beans and a piece of frozen meat or salmon (when the adults are away)

those little teeth are like razors! I really worked hard at teaching him not to bite. What worked best was wearing a pair of thick work gloves and holding his lower jaw when he bit -he couldn't get loose and I would say BAD! and hold his jaw until he cried (didn't hurt him, just defeated him)

Good link Sarah - added to rep

We used to give our boys the good boy rawhides and never affected them. However, we did find the flavoured rawhides made them slightly loose. They were about 3 months old when we first gave them rawhides, I think Gizmo was slightly younger than 3 months

Now they are on BARF we dont give them rawhides anymore as the butcher supplies us with plenty of beef and pork bones which takes them a while to get through so we dont need the rawhides anymore

Thanks Sarah...added to rep...we're going to our big pet store tomorrow (need more food!! Will get the HUGE bag this time lol!) so will talk to the staff there, they're really helpful and really know they're stuff...i have found so far anyway...

Thanks Sarah...added to rep...we're going to our big pet store tomorrow (need more food!! Will get the HUGE bag this time lol!) so will talk to the staff there, they're really helpful and really know they're stuff...i have found so far anyway...

I wish they were just as helpful in the big pet stores here! I find people in the smaller pet stores are most helpful in Dorset. It seems to be mostly youngsters in the big stores that dont really know what they are on about and just know how to work a till here! I will admit some of them are really friendly and helpful!

Please just be carefull with the raw hide chews , we had a problem with them with our huskie koda and a visit to the vet was needed... The reason for this is that they dont digest them and they can cause acid to build up in there stomachs . We do not allow our dogs them anymore.