Going crazy when they see the leash? I have a good tip!

Zihna had her second obedience training session today which included leash training. Of course she was getting super excited when she saw the leash. So my trainer told me a good way to have them calm down and not go nuts when they see the leash. She said I should grab the leash several times throughout the day and just walk around with it. Maybe hang it over my shoulder or just move it from one place to another. After a while they will get the hint that grabbing the leash will not always mean going for a walk, but it 'may' mean go for a walk. So they will still pay attention to you when you grab it....but not run and jump and whatever they do when they see you grab the leash. So I thought I share that for those that may want to try this. :D And of course if they go nuts when you try to put it on them...always wait till they calmed down ;).

Ha ha yeah I figured that is a common issue LOL...I know it is at my house. After she said it I was like Duhhhhh makes perfect sense...I should have came up with that idea LOL. It may take some patience especially for those that have more than one dog....but I am sure it will pay of in the long run. I will share more as I learn over the next few weeks. :)

;) Did not say you 'had' to get them calm. Just I know from experience it can be a headache especially when you have 2 puppies around and they go crazy when they see the leash. I know when I had 2 puppies 5-6 years ago it was always a piece of work to get their harness and leashes on. There was a lot of jumping and jealousy about who gets it on first and one dog jumping in between when I was trying to get the harness on the other etc etc etc. So this can be helpful to some that may want their dogs to calm down a bit. Of course it depends on the owner and how hyper the dog(s) get. If it's manageable then no correction needed :D . And of course they are still supposed to get excitet when going for a walk just not to point where putting the harness and leash on is almost impossible :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

This is all so interesting. My first rescue, Andy, the red and white came to us knowing to sit before getting his leash put on, before eating and before treats. Someone worked very hard, because we were actually his fifth home and I don't know why except for that he refuses to stay crated. He is so, so, good. We were easily spoiled and believed they could all do it. This is not our first husky, but the first was a mix, and we forgot how she was young, as we just lost her this summer at 14, and we couldn't walk her this year, too weak. Then came Jackson (the bull) who lived his first few years in a front yard tie out (shame on them) and was most likely rarely fed or watered. He vacuums food and goes nuts when he sees the leash and turns his head away. We decided to have none of this. First thing I decided to do was move away from the door. Jackson is a darter, and if he can squeeze past, he will, so I always keep the garage closed. Anyway, we go over to the sofa and I sit and drop the leashes and wait. They know. Somehow they just know. They do start talking, and while I love that, they must not fight to put on the leash. Andy gets his first and will lay down to wait. He is so, so good without even being asked. (we got him because he ate a cat...!) Jackson is learning he must sit and be calm. Treats help because he came to us with no commands and now he has sit, and wait, as long as you have treats. The walk is a different story....neither started out good on the leash, we've moved from regular chokes to martingales, and still working on pulling with Jackson. [ATTACH]6389.IPB[/ATTACH]

post-2509-13585956892319_thumb.jpg