I need help please

I have had along discussion with our Vet and his assistant. Apparently there is a huge need in our area for information on Huskies. The problem is, that a lot of the husky owners are from areas where having a computer is not the norm and access to the internet is virtually non-existent. So, we have come up with the following. I will arrange the meets, at a local venue, and get as many of these owners together where we can walk the huskies and discuss any problems they are having, and his assistant is phoning the husky owners on their books and giving them my cell number.

I have had a few calls already, from desperate husky owners asking if this is a workshop where they can come and learn about how to care for their huskies, and 'sort out their problems?' :(

A lot of you know I have only had huskies since November, so I am the LAST person to give advice. What I need is a list of things you think are important that they should know. I will then print this all off and bind in a book form to hand out to them on the walks - was thinking I could put the husky-owners.com logo on the front as a cover for those who do have access to the internet. Would that be ok Sarah/Marc?

I am floundering, when I first though of arranging meets in South Africa, I never envisioned it to be me trying to help others, I just wanted to walk the dogs. I am so not equipped for that - I am EXTREMELY SHY :( But, I love huskies, and if my husband and I can do something to help huskies in our area, I think maybe we should.

Also, I think a lot of the huskies will probably be slightly unruly, as walking dogs in packs is probably not something any of them will have done before. Is there any advice on how to handle this?

Please, any help you can give will be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Well that is amazing what you are doing. Well done you. As for you being shy thats why this has happened it will do you good. As for the walks I would say just keep moving at first and tell them to give all the dogs space before joining together so you can all evaluate what there levels are does that make sence.....lol.Tell them you are no expert but know people that are so any quetions get them to bring along on paper so you can sit down research before you answer. Prob just all the norm pulling tearing things up crate training ect. Good luck babe and most of all have fun.:D

wow hun sounds like its gonna be tough - im sure sarah and marc wont mind if u look at the top where it shows forum,members,chat ect you will see a heading called resources - have a look on their as its where you can down load the husky owners logo and things :)

keep us posted on how things go :) we will all help as best we can hun xxxxx +1

The first thing is educate them on things like food, diat, biting if you go on the traing thread and the husky questions, general health also traing & behaviour, food and diat most things you will find have been discused here.

These are done by all on here so real owners with real problems, take out what you need from there to start. Then meet the people with their dogs, find out any problems they have then put up here for the replys for the next meet xxxxxxx

Oh sounds like a fab opportunity! Now i'm really shy and i have only had eika a year and a half, but i find that talking about huskies comes easily and i can do it to anyone, for hours!!

I think that if you don't know the answer then and there, write it down, along with the person's name and their cell number. And that way you can either look it up on here or google it and then go back to them with what you have found/what we have had experiences with.

I bet you that you know more than you think! As you will get a question and probably think, oh so and so on HO had that issue, they did this that and the other....

Good luck! :) xx

My project at college was all about sibes, had breed standard, training, working, diet, health etc in it. Doesnt go into fantastic detail but I can put in on here if you'd like to use it??

Thank you everyone, do I need permission to copy any information I need?

That would be great Sid, thank you. If you would prefer to e-mail it to me, let me know and I can give you my address.

As far as food and diet goes, this may be a problem. The off-the-shelf food in SA is awful, and that is probably what most of the Huskies are fed - this will be a very difficult one as finances are definitely a problem here.

Rosemary - how can you be shy owning a husky?? I've never spoken to so many people as I have since being owned by Myshka!! :lol:

What a great opportunity to help people who may be struggling or wondering what is normal for a husky - Sid, I think it's a great idea to put your project on here - it's a good basis to start from.

Rep added, I think it's a really good idea - even educate the vet! :D

Ok here it is, I've formatted it as much as I can, tho you might want to do it more. You might wanna read thru and take out any info which isnt right for SA :)

Didnt know what program you use so i've got both works and word versions :) oops, apparent i cant upload a works version :unsure: Marc?????

husky info.doc

Rosemary - feel free to print anything off from here - posts / logo etc

I'm sure you'll feel right at home and everyone around you that has a husky will be in love with the breed as much as you so you'll all have a common ground.

maybe you could get a list of questions from them that you can't answer and post it here and then at the next meet you can print off their replies and pass it to them?

defo insist that all dogs on walk remain ON LEAD (from experience this could be hurrendous if someone doesnt follow this) & that suitable care is taken to the un-neutered ones - ie. males fighting & females getting pregnant.

Sounds great...I assume the vet assistant will be able to come with you - even if its the 'odd' few for support etc. I would see if the vet practice would be up for this even if initially to support you through it.

I'd say - exercise/stimulation, discipline, consistancy, being pack leader are the main topics to talk about.

Sounds great - well done.

Thank you everyone. All advice taken and will be part of the 'package'. Sarah, thank you, there is a lot of stuff I would like to copy about shaving huskies and climate related threads.

Sid - what can I say. That document is perfect :) I will use it as is. Fantastic, thank you so much for this. May have to translate it to Afrikaans though :blink: but I'll first see how they cope with the English.

The vet's assistant won't be joining us, but there are two experienced husky owners who replied to the posters I put up. I will contact them and find out if they will be able to help out as well. I will see what other problems crop up and post them after the meet.

Thanks Sarah :)

I have just received another sms from a lady with a three month old Alaskan Malamute x Timberwolf. She is not from our area, but will be traveling in to meet with us.

Would the info on huskies be appropriate for her, or is there something else we should know?

Goodness, don't where this is going to end ............... maybe I should try and get a behaviourist (sp?) to meet with us.