Baby Oska

• 1 month later...

Ermmmm a coon as a pet??? Weird LOL But I suppose people in the UK think its weird that us North Americans keep hedghogs as pets too. The thing about racoons though is that rarely do they stay domesticated past 5 years old, even past 3 is rare enough. Once they reach maturity they simply become more territorial and aggressive. Coons aren't "family" animals once they are adults. They will tolerate the presence of others when food is abundant but not that they go to the same tree limb for a cuddly nap. As babies yes they are quite cute and quite social/playful. I wish you luck with Oska and hope that when she reaches maturity no one gets hurt.

Ermmmm a coon as a pet??? Weird LOL But I suppose people in the UK think its weird that us North Americans keep hedghogs as pets too. The thing about racoons though is that rarely do they stay domesticated past 5 years old, even past 3 is rare enough. Once they reach maturity they simply become more territorial and aggressive. Coons aren't "family" animals once they are adults. They will tolerate the presence of others when food is abundant but not that they go to the same tree limb for a cuddly nap. As babies yes they are quite cute and quite social/playful. I wish you luck with Oska and hope that when she reaches maturity no one gets hurt.

Yes you are right this is common BUT this is in the case of un-spayed/castrated animals. When it's breeding season they will get aggressive as their sexual urges kick in.

Oska (he) will be castrated very soon and luckily I know of several older coons that have stayed very friendly when they've reached maturity!

Oh and I don't think it's strange to keep hedgehogs as pets...many people here keep them too as well as Virginia Opossums (I have one) and skunks.