please help me with dukes barking!

ive asked this question befoe but thort id ask for help again as i was hoping he wud grow out of it but he hasnt yet if anything hes got worse.

When i take duke for a walk to the park with my son he gets his exercise first then i tie him up while my son is on the swings etc if i walk off from duke he will bark n bark n bark he doesnt bark any other time really.hes never more than a few meters away.ive tried ignoring him,sayin "no" then walkin off n also tried taking a chew for him to keep him occupied but that doesnt change anything.i was just wondering if anyone had any tips please :D . I know its prob coz im with my son n he wants to play too but he needs to learn to b quiet as im sure no one at the park wants to hear constant barking. Thank u in advance for anything

try some at home training......tie him up and have some treats on you. walk backwards a few paces and say STAY........stop.....count to 5 - if he doesnt make a sound praise and give a treat...... keep doing this but going further and further back each time, then start again but this time facing away from him, repeat above and when you've got it so you can get a fair bit away, do it so you maybe go round a corner or go in the house but just go in and come out again

Should help :)

When getting mine used to their run outside, I used the water hose to stop them from barking and fussing. It took some time but everytime they would bark/fuss, I would go out and squirt them with the hose.

Upon moving here and into an upstairs flat, the dogs run is out the back door. The kitchen sink is close to the back door, so when they have a bit of a wobble I just fill a cup with water and chuck it towards the run.

Now the only time they make noise outside is when getting them ready for a walk, they talk. Also Nikita normally has a couple of brief howls after being feed in the mornings.

This method could be repeated while out and about at the park through the use of a bottle of water.

You could try an anti bark collar. Some work using noise sensors but these are unreliable as they can activate from other dogs barking or ambient sounds. A new device has been developed that senses the vibrations from your own dog's bark. It emits a high pitched sound which irritates the dog but does not hurt. If you use voice commands to reinforce the collar, it should really help. There are also collars which spray a mist of scented liquid that the dog does not like, but this might be unpleasant for your pooch.

I won't post a link as I'm not 100% sure of the rules about advertising, but they're easy to find on the net. Just google "anti bark collar"

I hope you make some progress :)

thanks for the tips,i have looked at the anti bark collars before but would prefer to know some info off someone who has used them before.ill do the water gun first and do the training sarah suggests,fingers crossed!!if all else fails ill take lots of pairs of ear muffs to give out to everyone at the park so he can bark away lmao. Im glad dukes not the only one who barks. Thanks again :D

• 3 weeks later...