Do you work your sibes???

Lucy

Hi Lucy

I don't actually work my boys, but there are a few here who do. I am however looking into training them to pull a sled or rig (Depending on weather) so I can take them a few times a week and give them some decent and fun exercise instead of just walks nearly every day of the week.

We raced ours for some years (up to 2001) but a combination of my wife's illnesses, increasing work commitments and the fact that people were beginning to take it much too seriously led to us giving up the race scene. We still worked them in harness occasionally, but not that much. Then in June 2007, I took early retirement and we had a lot more time on our hands. Since then we have been working the dogs 2 or 3 times a week and it has been great fun. We train in Bracknell Forest which is about 45 minutes from us. We have even done a couple of races - just for fun. To be honest, I'm a pretty anti-social sort of grumpy old man and I enjoy the training much more than the racing.

Last week we had our first ever opportunity to run the on snow on our virgin sled - it was wonderful:

Mick

Lex is more of the family pet than anything. We all wanted a sibe and I read up about them before we got him and haven't looked back since. We try and take him on 4 walks a day depending on the weather but we have a big back garden too which he loves digging in! Oh and loves jumping in the pond especially when it is full and then comes running in the house and jumps on the couch and soaks us all oh what fun lol

I predominantly got mine for a pet and companionship, I talk to Kimba more than marc sometimes lol probably because he doesn't answer back!!

Having said that, after watching the shinnanigans on Sunday, I would love to do something like this but would need to loose some weight first not fair on poor Kimba to pull me at the moment lol Mind you the amount of walking I do with him I should be a rake....might have to take up running with him and applly extra makeup to hide the black eyes ;)

we work ours but only for fun, don't do rallies any longer but when sisko is old enough to be able to run then may get a used rig & do a few rallies . But i enjoy running them with the bike & we can go our own pace, we are lucky to be able to train on a racecourse about 10 minutes from where we live as have to pay to run them with the bike in the forest.

Wow running at a race track sounds fun! We have been eyeing up the local motox venue today as there is so much snow on there no motorbike will be going near it! Could be fun with a sled!!!

Sarah you should have a go some time it's great fun! And great exercise, I tend to do plenty of work to help the dogs out!!!!

Think I will stick to watching for the moment, I'm a great lover of pain and can guarantee i will end up on the floor with the dogs running off into the distance lol

I'm quite happy watching lol

It is quite addictive. There is no feeling quite like standing behind a team of your own dogs as they pull you through the countryside.

Mick

Think I will stick to watching for the moment, I'm a great lover of pain and can guarantee i will end up on the floor with the dogs running off into the distance lol

I'm quite happy watching lol

Would be funny to watch that lol :biggthumpup:

We train in a forest at night!!!!! Usually don't see anyone other than the training group!!!

Same with us, except we run at first light so that we can get our runs in before the dog walkers are out and about. They are our biggest problem - most of them are fine and will keep their dogs on leads or hold them as teams go by. Others (the idiots) let their dogs run into the teams which can be very dangerous both for the dogs and the mushers. That's why we try to get out as early as possible. It's much better when the sun rises earlier as we can get out in the forest at 4.30am.

Mick

4.30 am..............now thats a time of day I only ever see if I'm working nights, or off to the airport for an early flight......which doesn't happen that often! We're lucky....we only meet the occassional night mountain biker or hiker and they're usually really good!

I predominantly got mine for a pet and companionship, I talk to Kimba more than marc sometimes lol probably because he doesn't answer back!!

Same ere. Prefer to talk to my boys than Jamie sometimes (Get more sence, lol).

Having said that, after watching the shinnanigans on Sunday, I would love to do something like this but would need to loose some weight first not fair on poor Kimba to pull me at the moment lol Mind you the amount of walking I do with him I should be a rake....might have to take up running with him and applly extra makeup to hide the black eyes ;)

Im not sure if I would want to be a rake whilst walking my boys! I'd be broken in half! I'd prefer to have muscle than look like a twig!