Biting...lots and LOTS of biting

We have a 7 week old Sibe. She was taken away from her mom too soon (at 4 weeks) due to a backwoods breeder -- he told us she was older than she was and we didn't know any better. She's been doing very well with her overall health, toilet training, eating, adjusting to our family, playing with the cats, etc... BUT, she has a really nasty biting habit. She likes to chew on our arms, legs, feet -- you name it. I'm worried that since she was removed from her mom too soon, she won't learn proper bite inhibition. I looked at the sticky post by Merlin regarding bite inhibition. So far, we've tried all but popping her in the nose with no success. She just keeps biting us. I'm not sure if she's just being stubborn, or if it's her age, that makes all of the bite inhibition techniques that Merlin mentioned unsuccessful.

Does anyone have any advice on how we can get her to stop biting?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at eight months embry is still a bitter. when he bites though i take hold of his snout and hold his mouth closed make him look me in the nose and say no to him sternly.

Ha, and here I am complaining about a 7 week old puppy biting. I still have so much to learn! rolleyes.gif I just had this horrible image of not training Mishka proper bite inhibition and then she turns into the next Cujo or something.

Ha, and here I am complaining about a 7 week old puppy biting. I still have so much to learn! rolleyes.gif I just had this horrible image of not training Mishka proper bite inhibition and then she turns into the next Cujo or something.

haha, try some biter sprays. they work wonders with biting.

Zion was exactly the same always use to bite my legs but mostly my arms. I put it down to teething. Because now his lost pretty much all his baby teeth and grown/growing his adult teeth he hardly ever bites me. Except when we play fight but even then its just putting his mouth on me, no pressure.

::runs off to buy some biting spray::

Zion was exactly the same always use to bite my legs but mostly my arms. I put it down to teething. Because now his lost pretty much all his baby teeth and grown/growing his adult teeth he hardly ever bites me. Except when we play fight but even then its just putting his mouth on me, no pressure.

That definitely gives me hope! Did you do any bite inhibition training w/ Zion?

That definitely gives me hope! Did you do any bite inhibition training w/ Zion?

Yeah, the usual. yelp, turn away from him, walk off. shaked his scruff (sometimes). things his brothers, sisters and mum would have done.

also re-directed him to his toys (didn't work that much though lol) but each husky is different and different things will work.

The thing we found worked with Eika was to put our hand in to her mouth, there's like a bit at the back of their mouth with no teeth, i put my hand there and pushed down on her tongue til she backed away from me.

You are brave, Sarah! I might have to try that.I have A LOT of little bite marks/ scratches on my hands -- people at work probably think I'm cutting myself. :blink:

Well sometimes. Zoya actually liked the taste of bitter apples spray, so that idea didn't work with her.

The thing we found worked with Eika was to put our hand in to her mouth, there's like a bit at the back of their mouth with no teeth, i put my hand there and pushed down on her tongue til she backed away from me.

We did this with Pongo also and even tried grabbing his bottom jaw with our thumb under the tongue, they really hate that. Pongo had this problem as well and he is still a mouther at times. Although now he understands what we want when we say "no bite!" and stops. I think he'll always be like this since he only had one other brother to practice inhibition with and he was gone at 8 weeks from him. another thing that worked was holding his muzzle shut for a couple seconds and walked away from him . good luck and don't give up hope, it gets better with agebiggrin.gif

Thanks for the links -- very helpful!!

Well sometimes. Zoya actually liked the taste of bitter apples spray, so that idea didn't work with her.

Yeah, I have a feeling Mishka might be like that too. She seems pretty fearless. The only thing that seems to freak her out is when DH and I brush our teeth? Apparently, Mishka's not a fan of oral hygiene!

We did this with Pongo also and even tried grabbing his bottom jaw with our thumb under the tongue, they really hate that. Pongo had this problem as well and he is still a mouther at times. Although now he understands what we want when we say "no bite!" and stops. I think he'll always be like this since he only had one other brother to practice inhibition with and he was gone at 8 weeks from him. another thing that worked was holding his muzzle shut for a couple seconds and walked away from him . good luck and don't give up hope, it gets better with agebiggrin.gif

Pongo sounds like Miskha. Holding her muzzle shut seems be working a bit -- I just hope it continues working. ::crosses fingers::

Bite back lmao

LOL!!

Yep I used a combination off holding my girls mouth shut or holding her bottom jaw, and yelping when she hurt me and now at a 1 year old she has the most perfect bite control of any dog Iv met (if I do say so myself! LOL) Just percivier with it and also about 4-5months go a little easier as this is when she will be teething so get her some nice things to chew on like a nylobone or a really cold carrot to replace your had with and shes grow out of it! :)

I'm going to sound like i am contradicting myself because i am anti 'negative punishment etc' but i seriously bit back and Zarly was like 'wtf' i didnt do it so she cried . i just bit her back and she never done it again! Don't think she liked how it felt, silly girl!!

my mum's horse when he was a 2 yr old colt, was so nasty, he's rear, strike and try and bite you.. i bit him back and he never bit again :D

hahaah!!

We got Nikita when she was a bit to young too... she was a couple days shy of 6 weeks.

Before Nikita came home my hubby and I sat the kids down and we told them that hands were not to be toys. Meaning anytime we played with Nikita we should have some sort of toy in hand, so that it was never acceptable to bite hands. The inspiration for this rule was my brother's Husky pup, who thinks hands are play toys. And at 8 months bites hands and plays so rough that he knocks down my 4 year old. I can see how this can be confusing for the pup... we use to our hands to play and play rough with him, then cry and say No when he would walk up and start gnawing on our hands. So when ever we sit down to play with Nikita we make sure we have a toy or tug in hand and make sure that is what gets bit or chewed on.

She will still on occasion "bite" our hands but it is no where near as bad as I have seen other dogs do and a firm NO seems to work for now. She hates to be in trouble.. And she will play with her toys by herself now... carrying them around the house like prize possessions. We are lucky that she has other dogs to play rough with so we also keep the pup to human rough play to a minimum.

Im sure you'll get it under control. Puppies tend to nibble at that age and will soon get out of it if you try some of the above. Best thing you could have done is to join here as there are many people with varying levels of experience and was pretty much what the site was set up for in the first place :)