Biting...lots and LOTS of biting

we have a similar problem with a 14mth old foster dog. Except he has strength and power with it!! Its mainly when we are trying to put his harness on. Its hurrendous, my arms are now feeling bruised. But i am wondering whether he doesnt trust us yet (only been her 1wk) and feeling a little threatened?? I tried leaving it on him but he started to bite through it.

I have wondered whether just to revert to his collar for a while but i prefer to walk them with the harness as i have more control and it cant be nice having a collar so tight around their necks (i use a slip collar)

Any ideas??

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ouch

if you revert back to a collar he may feel like he's got one over on you - personally, i'd stick it out with the harness, have him calm before you start - how is he when you stroke him cuddle him etc? Maybe spend a bit more time touching him to desensitising him to the feeling? do you know much about his background?

Hi Sarah...yeah perhaps your right sticking it out. I need to be able to get xback on him (as soon as my scooter arrives!).

He sees it, gets excited (assume cos he knows it's walking time) as soon as try to put it on him he bites like mad. All my other fosters have stepped into it really quickly.

As for his history....I don't know a huge amount but we're his 4th home. The last foster home didn't 'work' on his biting as this was his way of expressing himself (don't start me...how about expressing on a 3yr old...damn irrisponsible attitude to have). I want to keep him but my other half won't let me while he's biting. We have started to try yelling but not much affect!

Perhaps I will leave the harness around (not incupboard) so the excitement doesn't occur & cuddle him first. He does like a cuddle but he's not keen if you go near his left ear unless he's really relaxed.claire

hey Claire :) As you said it's only been a wekk so there's a lot you can do with him, just takes time and patience :) is it a hard meaningful bite when he does it or more excited do you think?

If it's not hard and meaningful, try pressing your hand down and to the back of his mouth so he has to move away from you and not visa versa - please only do this if you know he is excited and not being aggressive and take care - i do this with pups - their jaw pressure isn't that bad at a young age though