what toys do u use

Mistyrayn

What toys do your dogs use....

mine have toys from ragga's to buster cubes to keep them occupied. but one item i bought recently that has turned out to be a great hit with them is the Tornado... they have picked up how to use fairly well.. not only do they get treats but it makes them use their brain...

post-40-13585941919496_thumb.gif

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't buy cheap toys or they only last for a couple of minutes!! We buy kongs, tuffies and orbee balls. The orbee ball is my prey toy for when we do drive training and the dogs go mad for them.

for information the tornado is not a "cheap" toy.. its a very robust toy and great for getting them to use their brain... 20 GBP is not exactly what i would call cheap for a toy.... i have 2 huskies that have loads of fun with it and dont even attempt to destroy it.. it is an inter active toy and should't be left with them un attended.. they are disigned to enhance your relationship with your dog.. not occupy them whilst away..

for information the tornado is not a "cheap" toy.. its a very robust toy and great for getting them to use their brain... 20 GBP is not exactly what i would call cheap for a toy.... i have 2 huskies that have loads of fun with it and dont even attempt to destroy it.. it is an inter active toy and should't be left with them un attended.. they are disigned to enhance your relationship with your dog.. not occupy them whilst away..

I agree, the Tornado stimulates their minds rather than just giving them something to lick/chew on, they have to figure out how to get the food.

Smeagle, what do you class as a "Cheap Toy"??

I prefer the tough toys. Gizmo had a squeeky toy when we first took him to the vet as he had a little pack thingy from them. He loved it to bits but then MArley and BAndit came along and I had to throw it away as they started to chew it up! I have a puppy kong which I use now and then and put markies or something in it and they have 3 soft bouncy balls which they love chasing around the house and we keep them occupied with chasing it, and throw it again for them if they start to chew it! I also bought one hard rubber ball which Im using to try and teach a bit of recall command.

Mostly when it is play time we usually get on the floor with them and play, instead of letting them play with they toys when we are there as I find its a good way to bond with them. When we aren't at home we usually leave them with a bone or chew to keep them occupied.

Never seen one of those tornado toys. Looks like a good way to stimulate their brain. Do you know if there is a website about them or where I may find one?

• 1 month later...

I agree, the Tornado stimulates their minds rather than just giving them something to lick/chew on, they have to figure out how to get the food.

Smeagle, what do you class as a "Cheap Toy"??

Only just saw these replies!

Sorry guys, I wasn't inferring that Richard's toy was cheap, I don't know why my post came across as such - I never said Richard's toy was cheap!

I was agreeing that expensive toys are often the way to go because the cheapies don't seem to last very long. I should have said "I don't buy cheap toys either" to make that clearer, sorry.

I thought we were commenting on the type of toys we buy for our dogs, not on Richard's toy. I was simply saying that I won't buy cheap toys because they don't last very long.

lol no probs x

i agree spending the money on a good quality toy is the same as buying 10 cheap toys that will last the same length of time but will be torn apart leaving risks of your dog choking / swallowing the cheap bits IMHO lol

Don't get me wrong, I do have cheap toys for kaiser as he's only small he hasn't got the jaw power yet to wreak the havock Kimba does with them lol

I also use the Kong but my pup has figured it out too quick. I was blown away when I saw him.

So i freeze some kibble/treats with peanut butter and then give it to him. I plug up both holes to keep everything inside.

Well I secretly started watching them as he would have them cleaned out in a minute max. Turns out the guy bites down on the small end and then with his tongue he pushes through the small end and forces most of the contents out! He waits for it to thaw before he does this. OR he takes it up a few stairs and then drops it down. The impact splatters peanut butter everywhere and he goes around liking the peanut butter globs...

One time he even shoved his paw into the opening and all the peanut butter came out the other end or from the sides of his paw... Then ofcourse his foot got stuck in the kong and he was stumbling around trying to get it off.

I need to find a harder toy for him to try. I don't think they sell that tornado around here.

lol no probs x

i agree spending the money on a good quality toy is the same as buying 10 cheap toys that will last the same length of time but will be torn apart leaving risks of your dog choking / swallowing the cheap bits IMHO lol

That is the biggest issue for me - I have bought the cheap plastic squeaky toys from the supermarket and the dogs tear them to pieces in seconds. It worries me because little bits of plastic and squeaker ends up all over the place.

Richard you will have to let me no were you gat the tornado from looks a good buy . But would i have to get two as i have the 4 huskies as you no ( neighbour ) dont want fights oner it.

and sarah can you believe it he only lives next door and dont tell me about these lol..

and sarah can you believe it he only lives next door and dont tell me about these lol..

!!! RICHARD!!!! :scared:

That's not very neighbourly of you now is it!!

I got mine from my local pet shop however you can buy them on line as well - link below for one i've just found...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250363006315&cguid=69c3af4711f0a0e204152c45ff1b4f35

Richard you will have to let me no were you gat the tornado from looks a good buy . But would i have to get two as i have the 4 huskies as you no ( neighbour ) dont want fights oner it.

lol @ Jackie ... excuse me but stacey see's u everyday so im blaming her for not telling you... besides i thought Brian knew everything LOL

The Tornado looks very intriguing but I am not sure I want Mukki thinking that much!

...with those kind of skills -he'll be in the fridge, picking locks... god knows what all! Probably stealing the car! He can already turn door knobs and turn the knobs of the stove!! He has also texted my friends and clients a few times! I used to have a chair near me and he'd sit with me and watch me at the keyboard (see avatar) Rich was so angry with me when Mukki filled his instant chat window at work with: vcxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx... etc He couldn't communicate with anyone and had to block me LOL Now Mukki doesn't get his own chair in my office but I will still find him sitting at the dining room table like a forgotten guest!