Attatchment for bicycle

When I was walking Marley yesterday I got talking to a lady who was walking her dogs. I was saying how I was trying to get my boys on the rig or scooter as a form of exercise for them. She was saying that she has an attchment for her bicycle which she can attch the lead to and she uses that to take them on her bicycle. She doesn't know what it was called or where to get one from as she was given it by an old friend.

Does anyone here know what they are called or where I may get one from?

Have you heard of a sport called bikejoring? It's bassically what your looking for, except the dog are in front of the bike instead of beside it. It's also more expensive thaan the springer setup. Basically it's running a sleddog team but with bikes, or carts. A single dog setup, multisport harness $25, bike stem $20, tug lines $20.

I run a two dog team, and purchased all of my equipment from Adanacsled Equipment (www.adanacsled.com).

Hope this helps out, oh btw, something I learned the hard way. I didn't teach my huskies basic mushing command to begin with, what a mistake that was. They went every direction but where i wanted

was walkin the dogs the otherday and stopped to talk to a woman and her husband who were walking two piranian mountain dogs, n i happend to mention i was planning on gettin a scooter to run the pups, n she said if she saw me she would report me, to who im not quite sure, but she started moanin about the dogs being expected to pull me on a scooter, considering they nearly pull my arms out of my sockets now, n they r 6 months old, i dont see that they would have a problem pulling me on a scooter, its got wheels lol, but then i did start to wonder where you could actually use the scooters etc without fear of being pulled over ,if you know what i mean ?

Sorry the link didnt work but you should be able to type adanacsleds.com or sled dog equipment into your search engine and find it.

As far as finding a place to run them, we us the bike trail that runs around Louisville with no problems.

Diefunbaker

Haveing done this for awhile, I have to agree with the woman you talked with. But probably for different reasons.

6 months is still way too young for them to be pulling you, their bodies are still developing and the added strain could cause back and hip problems.

Some of the people I talked with before getting into bikejoring recommend waiting until at least a dog is ayear and half.

In the mean time they can be placed in the harness and walked.

Basic commands should be learned on lead, because you really dont want to be riding and have your husky bolt off in a different direction than you.

Gee-right

Haw- left

Hike or yup-go

Whoo-stop

easy- slow

gee come- come back

Once our two huskies would do this we gave them a ten foot lead, and gave the same commands to see if they would obey while out in front. After that we hooked them to a wagon with a couple a bricks in it, just to get them used to pulling something. We usually did this with me being 15 to 20 feet in front (calling for encouragement) while cindi walked them on lead. Once we felt comfortable that they knew their commands and would pull a bike we hooked them up. But you still have puppys while I was training 4 year old dogs, so it should be easier for you. Plus if you can find any groups in your city they could be of more help than this thread.

Have fun Shadow

Sorry the link didnt work but you should be able to type adanacsleds.com or sled dog equipment into your search engine and find it.

As far as finding a place to run them, we us the bike trail that runs around Louisville with no problems.

Diefunbaker

Haveing done this for awhile, I have to agree with the woman you talked with. But probably for different reasons.

6 months is still way too young for them to be pulling you, their bodies are still developing and the added strain could cause back and hip problems.

Some of the people I talked with before getting into bikejoring recommend waiting until at least a dog is ayear and half.

In the mean time they can be placed in the harness and walked.

Basic commands should be learned on lead, because you really dont want to be riding and have your husky bolt off in a different direction than you.

Gee-right

Haw- left

Hike or yup-go

Whoo-stop

easy- slow

gee come- come back

placed in a harness and walked, lmfao, what you expect me to do nail their feet to the floor, they dont walk anywhere, n i did say i was THINKIN about gettin a scooter, I just dont see how pulling a scooter with wheels which makes it a lot easier to shift somethin can be considered more dangerous than pulling an owner with their feet firmly planted on the floor, n how would you report somebody you saw doing what you didnt agree with, would you follow them home lol

maybe she thought u meant like at 6 months instead ov the fact u sed u were 'thinking' about gettin 1 that dont mean anything that could me im thinking about gettin 1 tomorrow next week next year in a couple ov years time maybe if u see her agen u shud as y she wud report u for lettin them pull u (after all they are workin breeds and this is something they were born 2 do)

Shadow I use the antenna for the front of the bike I sent to Belgium for it but found although it works great it is expensive , do you have a pic of the attachment you use ? This is the anntena it stops the rope from catching the wheel:)

KIRABIKE015.jpg

Glad your getting on ok with your Antenna Anne, we use ours all the time. Brilliant piece of kit . we start to train ours in harness slowly from around 10 months old, gradually go further by 18 months old.

I use a mountain bike to run ours , v- brakes are best , you can get better brake pads which are longer & are supported in an alloy body from halfords (shimano ), i find cheap disc brakes aern't that good. Best to have alloy levers on handlebars. You need good brakes to run huskies with a bike lol. take care

Don't forget knee pads, elbow pads, shin pads and helmet lmao

Yes a must when on the bike or scooter ,I wear a helmet but should invest in the other stuff ,Iv came off the bike a few times not a pretty sight :o

I bought a cheap halfords disc brake mountain bike and I cant say the brakes are any beter than my v -brakes and the frame is far too heavy it was not a good buy .

Rose I was up Aberfoyle forest running the dogs I decided to take the scooter for a change it was great fun but I like the bike much better mayby because I use it more often ,the scooter has v-brakes and pulls up well exept when Kira decided to jump into a stream for water and pulled me and the scooter in with her:rolleyes:

There's a guy here in the States that makes a neat rig for a scooter:

http://www.dogpoweredscooter.com/

There's a lady who runs her labs on one of these in our city park. I talked with her about the contraption, and she said she loves it. She had one where the dogs were out front and pulled her, but she said control was a big issue. This setup, she said, keeps the dogs to the side and they can only go in one direction - forward. She steers the group around. The dogs looked like they were loving it, and I have to say Ripley looked a bit jealous. She was very keenly studying the whole process.

I'm saving up some cash to get the scooter and the rig.