Killed cat, Bit me, now aggressive

Sami

Hello,

about a week ago Ocean, my 4 year old Husky, chased down a street cat. I tried to intervene to train Ocean and to save the cat, and got myself bitten in the process. 

The bite is fine and i took a tetanus shot and antibiotic course as a precaution. the wound is minimal.

i have since been interacting normally with her.

Anyway, last night Ocean started acting out of character: excessive hauling, no appetite. 

she was fine this afternoon, although still no appetite,  and then turned aggressive and tried to bite me.

that is not her normal and it has not happened in the 4 years.

I would appreciate some advice please;  what do you think is going on?

I have no idea what 'hauling' means - but am guessing heaving  - trying/being sick?      I would take her to the vet and get her checked out.    A sudden change in behaviour / temperament after 4 years needs to be investigated  - she could have injested something.   Where in the world are you?

Just another thought.   What is your dog fed?     My reason for asking is that if there is a tryptophan deficiency it can lead to aggressive behaviour.   Tryptophan produces seratonin - which affects mood and cardio-vascular function.    Tryptophan  binds with glucose in the heating and processing of pet foods  (like kibble)  and this can limit its absorption in the body.    Tryptophan is found in most dairy proteins and is especially high in meats.

Cooked Bones?????    That could kill her.    Bones must always, always be raw, cooked bone splinter and can get stuck in the throat or even pierce the stomach.

Do you have access to a dog behavourist?   They may be able to work out her change in attitude.    Do you have access to raw meat and raw fish  -  like sardines and/or herrings?    Both of these (left whole, not filleted)  are high in tryptophan  (just in case it is this simple).

Been thinking about your dog all afternoon  -  one other thing comes to mind  .........   has she had a rabies shot recently???

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/rabies-vaccination-and-aggression-in-dogs/?fbclid=IwAR3qQfjYbXeJhyfHoYlHwanC7fBU_Bqb6L6n9lY-2uDkgvtQNut0UNIlkJ8

I could keep guessing  for months and not get it right without knowing all the dog's history  ........................  which might be better told to a professional.

thanks for the kind support guys.

Due to lock down we could not go to vet today. 
so we are going tomorrow  

The good news is that Ocean is back to her normal self; playful, eating and drinking as usual.  

Thanks for the point about the bones: no more of that!

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 8:01 AM, wolfpup said:

Cooked Bones?????    That could kill her.    Bones must always, always be raw, cooked bone splinter and can get stuck in the throat or even pierce the stomach.

Actually, raw bones can do that too. Sharp objects don't mix well with soft intestines.

I've watched a recent documentary on wolf autopsies, and they recently found one who was a perfectly healthy specimen.

Except it got torn from inside by  a bone and died a very painful death. Yeah, natural diet at its best...

Having watched that, I've come to appreciate my Honey refused to go raw when I tried to switch her to raw food...

5 hours ago, Vlad76 said:

Actually, raw bones can do that too. Sharp objects don't mix well with soft intestines.

I've watched a recent documentary on wolf autopsies, and they recently found one who was a perfectly healthy specimen.

Except it got torn from inside by  a bone and died a very painful death. Yeah, natural diet at its best...

Having watched that, I've come to appreciate my Honey refused to go raw when I tried to switch her to raw food...

Everyone feeds their dog the way they think is best -  as is their perrogative    -  my comment was  -  and is  -  directed purely at the fact that cooked bones splinter  - raw bones much less so.   I feel very sorry for that wolf   -  but its ancestors have been eating raw bones for several hundred thousand years  (in fact millions)  -  its what their stomach acid and digestive tract are designed to eat   -   a wild animal  (or dog) fed pure meat and no bones would have far too much phosphorus and not enough calcium in their diet  (read almost no calcium) leading to their pups having deformed limbs and poor growth.   The adult dog or wolf deprived of fresh bones and therefore calcium pulls that needed calcium from their own bones to make up the deficit  - leading to arthritis, weak bones that break easily etc.

Also  dogs fed on kibble should not be fed raw bones -  the stomach acid is not strong enough when it has to deal with all the starch from kibble.   The same goes for wet (or tinned dog food)  -  they should be on a raw diet for at least 10 days before being given bones to eat to give time for the stomach acid to return to its normal level.

18 hours ago, wolfpup said:

I feel very sorry for that wolf   -  but its ancestors have been eating raw bones for several hundred thousand years  (in fact millions)  -  its what their stomach acid and digestive tract are designed to eat  

Our ancestors shared the same problem like wolves, though. Very short life expectancy. A human that survived to the age of 30 was considered an old retiree (as if he was 75 in today's world) with great wisdom that was bestowed upon him during his blessed years.

My Grandma lived in an era where it was considered freaky if a woman didn't give birth before age of 17, and such woman was forever publicly ostracized. Think about that -  a 17-year old kid. But those reasons were very valid back then. That's barely century ago, let alone hundreds of thousands years.

Circling back to wolves, their life expectancy out there in the wild is very short compared to ones living in closed off ranges. Raw bones are just one of many factors. But, they're still a factor. We just didn't know. Ignorance is really bliss...

My point is that the raw unsplintered bones are always parroted as a panacea. Which it's not. You still roll a bloody dice. Sure, the dice has many more than just six sides, but one of those sides results in a pretty disgusting painful death for a completely innocent dog that has zero say in the matter.

You'd be lucky if it happened while you're at work. At least you wouldn't be so much traumatized, finding your dog dead in a pool of blood upon coming home, compared to experiencing the whole event up close and personal while trying to rush to the hospital, listening to the agony of poor dog, bleeding from everywhere. That would be a pretty nice PTSD, right there...

You obviously feel strongly about this  -   however you might be interested in the history of the dog

Dogs & cats share a common ancestor the dormalocian  -   about a foot long, it weighed 2lbs, and  lived in trees.   Lived 55 – 66 million years ago - it hunted in order to survive  - it was a carnivore. When dinosaurs became extinct  dogs evolved from meat eating CANIDS – named for the shape of their teeth. 

Through time several species evolved and became extinct but the first true dog Lepticin (I think from memory) appeared around 40 million years ago.  

His decendent Epicyon came into being when Asia was still attached to North America via the Bering Land Bridge.  Epicyon  is a large, extinct, canid genus of the subfamily Borophaginae ("bone-crushing dogs")  The decentants of Ucian developed into the modern dog genus  CANNIS evolved in Eurasia.   Throughout their entire history dogs and their ancestors ate bones for a very good reason   -  they could not live without eating them - it was an essential part of their diet providing not only calcium but  being the major counter agent to phosphorus - in itself vital to the welbeing of the dog  - but without calcium, phosphorus would become too prevalent.

You are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine   -    my opinion is that any animal I choose to share my life with will get the best possible diet for its species  - for a dog  that diet consists of meat and bone with about 5% fruit and vegetables for extremely important phytonutrients  -  even wolves eat berries etc.   Personally I give lambs ribs - my dogs love them and they do not shatter,  they are crunched up small quite easily   being amongst the most flexible of any bone in the body   -   its the first type of bone wolf pups are given  (or steal if they can)  -  maybe a rabbit bone to start with etc.

Weight bearing bones  will either break teeth  or will splinter if enough force can be brought to bear  -  maybe the wolf was starving and was trying to get to the bone marrow, I feel sorry for any animal that dies whilst just trying to live and eat the way it was designed by nature to do   -  I also feel sorry for the lionesses that get kicked to death whilst trying to bring down prey for their male mates, and all wild animals that die before their time  - killing another innocent animal in order to feed themselves   -  but I would not deprive any one of them one part of their natural diet  because of my opinions and prejudices.

By the way   -  I have been vegetarian for over 40 years   -   my husband 30+ years  -  but our dogs are fed naturally.

I will not reply to you again.

my dogs for the last few years have all been fed raw, other than being a little fussy the first few weeks they change in health was amazing

They smell less  coats are thick and healthy they no longer have the random upset tummy  runs.

They have lots of energy infact seem to have more and can be active for longer without needing a rest.

Point of fact most of teh books vets learn about diet at school are NOT produced by peer reviewed papers but are printed and supplied by the pet food makers

wolves in zoo's are not fed dog kibble but are still fed raw meat and bones, the short life span of wildlife is due to stress sickness and predation, they do not get treated for worms and vacinated like the animals in zoo's or pet dogs

one of my current dogs has been fed a raw diet from the time he was weaned off mums milk and has never known any  fake food

Pet food only really became a thing around the time of WW2 they wanted to make a food that was easy to store hence why they went to a dry food that could be packed in paper as metal was needed elsewhere so no tins

The dry food in ww2 was almost as good as real meat as it was not made with all the rubbish that is put in today your so called meaty dog food in a bag can have very litte meat in it 90% of it can be plant based materials along with raw chemicals

Look for a tv show called Pet Fooled that was an expose of the pet food industry that even showed some food malers were getting the meat they made into dpg food from pets that had been put to sleep at the vets

a couple years ago there was a huge scandle in the USA when small dogs were dieing from the drugs used to put dogs and cats to sleep  and they were getting posioned by the food they were fed

do some research on pet food before you swear off raw food  look at the way meat meal is produced  lots of videos of that on youtube

I think it is partly on topic in that diet in dogs is very important, it can affect their behaviour. Not so many people know that in the UK it is a legal requirement to feed an animal species appropriate food, so all those vegans and vegetarians feeding non meat meals to their dogs and cats could and should be prosecuted. I’ve heard it said that dogs fed on kibble can be over anxious and hyper, changed to raw had a beneficial effect. Bones aside, there is no way I would feed my pets kibble, this is a good piece of information - https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2020/04/27/dry-pet-food-extrusion.aspx?cid_source=petsnl&cid_medium=email&cid_content=art1HL&cid=20200427Z2&et_cid=DM521243&et_rid=859307980

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived