Longer Lead

Hey everyone-I don't want to re-start the argument on a previous thread about letting a husky off the lead, however I hated not being able to let Ozzy off his on the beach yesterday (have read a lot of info on them running and running and not coming back-and to be honest as we haven't had him that long I wouldn't be confident that he'd know my voice anyway) but I was reading the other thread and saw that some people had 50ft and 100ft leads-where did you get these from and are they expensive? My husky is quite strong even though he's young so I don't want to just get a normal extendable lead because I think he'd just snap it.

I look forward to hearing from you

Diz

I've got one somewhere,i only used it once or twice because i think they're a total nightmare to use & potentially very dangerous in areas where there are other dog walkers & especially children who can be cut down or entangled while you stand there helpless on the other end.I know this goes against the grain but if i had to choose it would be "off lead" everytime.

My husky is quite strong even though he's young so I don't want to just get a normal extendable lead because I think he'd just snap it.

I have normal extandable leads for my two who can pull like trains but I use the thick braided one, not the thin cord on - Myshka has chewed through 2 of these! They are over £30 but worth it, Diesel weighs 104lb (7.5 stone :blink: ) and it holds him back!!

But get in touch with Karly, she'll help you out :D

• 2 weeks later...

i bought the halti 10m training lead and am practicing with oscar on his recall at the moment but i only use it when we go up the forestry and country park! i had an extendable lead rated at 50kg but on a walk (luckily where there are no cars) it got caught on a lampost and snapped the cord! luckily oscar didnt know what to do and came straight back! needless to say i wont be getting a retractable lead again unless its the propper thick one all the way though!

we have a 5 meter extendible lead for micha, m y wife buys them, so far we have got through 4 of them, but the current one seems to be a good quality build and has lasted and lasted.

the previous ones its not the lead that snaps, its the lockable brake that breaks.

I'm terrified of using an extendable one on Kira, I tried out Chez's at a rally once and even tho I knew it held her Skye (about the same size as Kira) I was still crappin my pants lol

I use the 100ft lead on that nix posted, well worth it! Tho it cant be used when there's other people or dogs, and winding them up after's a bit of a chore, its so nice to see them able to run :)

We have a 10 meter for Koda so she can get a bit of a run on but soon discovered that even 30ft is not long enuff. . . we let Echo (GSD) off the lead and she chases the ball

Koda chases echo and goes . . . TWOING at the 30ft mark.

we're thinking of getting another and linking them together.

Forgot to mention we got ours from Pets at Home and I think they do longer ones. . .