Lately Maya has been snapping at several people, to the point where its becoming a problem. When I pet her paws she does a deep in her chest growl, she never bares her teeth, ever. and she will reach out and try to bite my hand. Its the same when I pet her hips, she does the growl and reaches out very quickly to bite my hand. She does the growl most of the time someone pets her, rarely with me, but when she does its scary. I don't know if i should say bad girl, or if i should try to show her its okay. She has never been an affectionate dog towards anyone but me, sometimes My family. But the snapping is slowly getting worse and I don't know what I did to make her get to this point. She doesnt ACTUALLY bite anyone, Just lightly puts her teeth on their hands and pulls away. She has nipped my brother hard a few times, hes 9, cause he pulls on her fur,paws, and lays on her, so I dont usually blame her.

If someone’s been allowed to pull on her fur, grab at her and lay on her then she’s not likely going to be very happy with that at all and she may well be feeling uneasy about being touched at all because of it.

Another train of thought is that possibly she could be in pain?

If medical reasons have been ruled out then let her come to you if she wants attention and give her a stroke where she’s more comfortable and reward her with a little treat so that she makes a positive connection with being stroked rather than a negative one.

When we first got Ice he was mistrustful and would growl at being touched and my youngest son was only 8 years old but we taught him not to approach Ice and to give him space. He knew not to grab at him inappropriately and that helped him to learn a healthy respect for animals. This in turn, over time, helped Ice develop trust in humans.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Agree with Emma , rule out any pain first with the vet and if that's all clear then give her space n let her come to you , don't let anyone pull her paws or fur at 9 years old he's old enough to know better and be taught how to respect dogs and interact with them correctly, it will be about building the trust back up with her now , don't tell her off for growling she's letting u know she's uncomfortable

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Emma has covered this very well.  My first thought was that she may be in pain. 

Can you observe her walking and moving around?  Is she slower or more stiff?  Does she favour lying on one side more than the other?  Is her appetite still ok?  If you suspect anything a vet checkover is certainly advisable and I'd muzzle her for everyone's sake when being examined. 

If she has been pulled or had her fur yanked.. this would certainly cause a reaction to being handled by anyone.

I hope you can resolve this. 

I suspect pain.. more than anything else.. maybe her back or hips... 🤗

2 hours ago, Maz51 said:

Can you observe her walking and moving around?  Is she slower or more stiff?  Does she favour lying on one side more than the other?  Is her appetite still ok?  If you suspect anything a vet checkover is certainly advisable and I'd muzzle her for everyone's sake when being examined. 

If she has been pulled or had her fur yanked.. this would certainly cause a reaction to being handled by anyone.

She Moves around just fine, we go to the dog park often and shes always bolting around unfazed 😕 Im taking her to the vet saturday for shots, i will be sure to ask while im there.

2 hours ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Agree with Emma , rule out any pain first with the vet and if that's all clear then give her space n let her come to you , don't let anyone pull her paws or fur at 9 years old he's old enough to know better and be taught how to respect dogs and interact with them correctly, it will be about building the trust back up with her now , don't tell her off for growling she's letting u know she's uncomfortable

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

The only problem with my brother is that he is very disobedient and disrespectful, He does anything he can to get under your skin if you tell him not to do it, I hate to but ive resorted to keeping her in my room with her toys, water, food, and crate, and just walking her 3 times a day to go potty :( . 

I have a relative that I don't trust around my animals. I would rather lock them up then have them be hurt them or me mad enough to kick them out of my house in front of everyone. 

I agree with ruling out a medical issue. Then find out what is upsetting her.

Best to catch it and correct it now then waiting.

Olaf is a lot like that, too. He is shy and not very affectionate. He doesn't usually like to be touched at all, especially near his butt/tail, and his paws. He is pretty good with me touching me but I do have to read him and only touch him when he seems to want it. Sometimes, he will touch me with his paw, or lay close to me. He goes to my Mom when he wants attention, too. He growls if my son approaches him, but sometimes, he is okay with my son and licks his face. My advice, only based on my experience, is give her some space and respect the signals she is giving.

Kim

I feel they should get used to you touching their paws so you can check in between their toes and check their pads are ok. Cai used to growl as a pup when I cleaned his paws, so when he’d lie next to me at night I’d stroke him all over and stroke all of his paws and tell him what a good boy he was, it took months for him to stop growling but he’s ok now. I’m so glad I did that as last weekend we went to Aberdyfi on the train and it was very busy, the trolley man was coming down the aisle and as he approached our seat Cai stretched out and before I knew it the young lad sat near us bent down and moved Cai’s paws out of the way, Cai was surprised but didn’t do anything. As long as you get them used to you touching their paws and go at their pace they’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

@MayaTheHusky24 ~
Hello!! I agree with@chelseafan and definitely would gently rub around his paws and lightly pet him on the back/hips. When he growls, just say "no growl" and continue to get him used to it. All dogs love massages.
Please don't get offended, but your 9-yr old brother needs discipline. He is not respecting your mom, you or the dog and sounds like he controls you guys. He's the one who should be sent to his room, not your sweet dog. I would never leave your brother "alone" with the dog either. It's not fair at all to your dog to be treated cruelly ever.
I don't think it's a pain problem unless he was hurt by something. You can always have your Vet check him.
Keep working with your dog to earn your trust, which seems like he may already trust you. I think you're doing great.
[emoji847][emoji191][emoji252][emoji171]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

Archived