Husky refusing all food, and rarely eating!

JB-Kira

My husky Kira (who's one and a bit months) also refuses to eat. We've tried changing the foods, food routine etc, but she refuses to eat. She liked fish (cat food style) mix with dry food but she has gone off that as well. This is my first time on the website and I'm hoping that I can learn what is stopping Kira from eating. Any advice?

EDIT: I took her to the vet yesterday and she had an obstruction, as well as shafts of plastic lodged in her tongue (how, I have no idea). Today we've kept her inside and given her a bowl of wet dog food with some antibiotics or something. She is eating better than before and I hope that it will continue to improve. Thanks for the really helpful advice.

Hi, is she well in herself? Husky’s can be fussy eaters but they won’t starve themselves, is she drinking ok? How long has she not eaten for?
One of mine was very ill not long ago and the only food he’d eat was cooked white fish, no bones, mixed with cooked sweet potato.
Some females don’t eat when they’re in heat, maybe that could have something to do with appetite loss. Hope you get it sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Have you tried her on cool scrambled egg?   a raw egg  just whipped up?   Sardines in (spring water) ?  These are my go-to  foods if Marley is having a couple of 'off days'.   I would also try some raw mince.    If she still wont eat I would get her checked out by your vet  -  it is not a good sign for a dog to go off all food  -  it could be something like an obstruction.     

On 24/02/2018 at 12:35 AM, chelseafan said:

That’s a thought, I took the age to mean maybe 14 or 15 months of age.

She's 14 months of age, sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

On 23/02/2018 at 7:47 PM, chelseafan said:

Hi, is she well in herself? Husky’s can be fussy eaters but they won’t starve themselves, is she drinking ok? How long has she not eaten for?
One of mine was very ill not long ago and the only food he’d eat was cooked white fish, no bones, mixed with cooked sweet potato.
Some females don’t eat when they’re in heat, maybe that could have something to do with appetite loss. Hope you get it sorted.

She's very active and acts like any ordinary husky when we take her out for long walks (which we do 3-4 days a week). It's when we come back from walks that she is obsessed with drinking lots of water, but normally she doesn't drink a lot of water. She has never loved her food but only in the last two months was she this fussy. I have to put her on the lead and take her outside and feed her a cat and dry food mix. Her eating hasn't improved by much though. She's also desexed so I don't think that affects her. Thanks anyway.

On 24/02/2018 at 12:24 AM, Michelle Sopi said:

Are you saying she is a 6 week old pup?

Cat food isn't good for dogs so I wouldn't give her that , has she had her teeth checked? Try boiling the kettle and pouring over dry food it helps bring out the smell and flavour but wait till it's cooled enough before feeding

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Do you walk her every day ?

I would take her to the vets to check if there is any reason she is not eating  -  also mention her excessive drinking  -  could be kidney problems   -  if he can find no reason  -  then she probably really does not like her food.   Try her on scrambled eggs, or raw eggs just whipped up,  or try her on a little raw mince  as I mentioned previously, chicken  - cooked or raw,  if she will eat all or some of the above then you have your answer.

However your first port of call should be the vet.

Mine drink a lot and they’re fit and healthy, if she’s eating the cat food then she hasn’t lost her appetite totally but I wouldn’t feed that to her anymore. I think a trip to the vets to rule out any underlying issues, hope you get it sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Just a thought as well, if you’re going on long walks with her I suggest taking water out with you for her, not sure where you are in the world, but if it’s warm when you take her she’ll need water, which is prob why you think she drinks a lot when you get home.

Mine is being a fussy eater right now. He is about 3 and 1/2 years old. He's been refusing his kibble in the morning.  I think he is holding out and wants what we are eating. I waited 24 hours before giving him any food, and he finally ate his kibble. He ate a little, then waited, then ate a little more. When he realized he wasn't getting anything else, he ate the rest of it.  I think he is just being picky. But, I am not sure if that is the same thing your dog is going through. If I offer him scrambled eggs, or a piece of cheese, he loves it, but is just refusing his regular kibble.

On 28/02/2018 at 9:45 PM, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Cat food isn't good for dogs so I wouldn't give her that , has she had her teeth checked? Try boiling the kettle and pouring over dry food it helps bring out the smell and flavour but wait till it's cooled enough before feeding

Do you walk her every day ?

Twice a day, everyday. Usually from 6-7 am and 6:30-7 pm.

Maybe he doesn’t like the kibble? It’s not the best food for a dog if it’s not given anything else. The fact he’s willing to eat other food before he’ll eat his kibble seems to suggest that too. Could you not give him some raw if you’re not willing to give up the kibble? I know dogs are different to humans but I’m sure if we ate exactly the same food day in day out for 3 or more years we'd be sick of it too. Try to vary it a little (or if you really love him give the kibble a permanent miss [emoji6]).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Harlow has started to become fussy so I top her food with a small amount of olive oil or mix in a small amount of a different kibble that she goes crazy for and normally use it as treats (Ziwipeak air dried venison). We also sometimes put in raw meatballs that are made for dogs from chicken and veggies which I use as rewards at the dog park. Mine's 1.5 years though and used to hammer her food no problem so as others have said might be worth getting yours checked over by the vet to rule out any biological factor

Archived