Chicken bones

MilkyftTukere

Hey there, we recently welcomed a 8 year old husky into our family and a couple of days ago he boy ate some chicken bones and now isn't eating his food. It has been 2 days now that this has happened we feed him 4 cups of royal canin every day at 5pm and for the past 2 days he hasn't been eating at all he is drinking lots of water and playing around but just not eating. Should we be worried?.

IMG_20171207_192338.jpg

It's not unknown for huskies to "go off" thier food for a couple of days.

Were they cooked chicken bones or raw ??

I'd keep an eye on him, if he starts eating grass and being sick, licking your floor or carpet and/or his stomach feels solid, he may have a blockage. Happened to my daughter's Parson's Terrier, he did all the things described, took him to the vet who said he needed urgent surgery and they found a piece of pork rib bone lodged in his gut. He is on a raw diet so the bone was uncooked but it got stuck. Cooked chicken bones are a bit of a no no, they splinter way too easily so it could easily be embedded somewhere. Your best guide is the dog, if he starts to slow done, presents as very different to his normal self I'd get him checked asap. Personally I'd also ditch the kibble, your dog needs/ought to have meat. If this is the brand you are feeding your dog, maybe you need to reconsider - https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0060/royal-canin-medium-adult

You should never feed cooked bones  to a dog  - cooked chicken bones splinter and can get stuck in the pipe leading from the mouth  to the stomach   -  I would get him checked.   Please only feed raw bones  -  My dogs have been fed raw chicken bones for 12 years with no problems.

I really hope he is just on an 'off feeding' period  -  Marley does this sometimes.   However better to be safe ...............

People often leave chicken bones on the ground and my husky could never resist it! She'd only leave half of it when we tell her drop it. If only people would stop littering! :angry:

Hope the vet finds nothing wrong with your dog!

Glad he’s got the all clear from the vet, he may just be going through a settling period in his new home, it can take a few months for a rescue to be really settled, dont worry, he wont starve himself!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Mine do that from time to time. Usually only lasts a few days. Has he been neutered? If he as not, he will refuse to eat as long as there is a female in heat in the area he smells. If he has, it is just a husky thing. Nothing to worry about. They are bred to last a long time on small amounts of food. 

Archived