Recently Adopted, Won't Eat

hstavenger

Hello! We adopted our Husky Tuesday night from our local shelter and he is not doing so well. We have wanted one for quite a while but wanted to adopt a rescue dog so we were waiting until we found one nearby. I grew up with labs my whole life, and we always got them as puppies, so having a 3 year old husky is a somewhat new experience and I feel completely helpless!

What I know of his life before us is very little. The Animal Shelter said he was brought in by somebody who found him tied to a tree on one of the country roads, and that he was dirty and starved. They kept him in the lost animals section for nearly a month waiting for an owner to turn up and nobody ever did. He spent that time barking and howling, they said because of that they think he was part of a pack (I saw on facebook/craigslist a couple months ago somebody was getting rid of their husky pack, but they deleted the post without responding to anybody, no idea if this is related). He had been in the adoption area for two weeks before we saw his listing and went and got him. They told us he wasn't eating very much, you can feel his spine and ribs, but they hoped that going to a home would help.

The first night and the next day he ate nothing but a couple treats and he threw up once a day, though very small amounts that almost looked like just drool. He refused to eat dog food, but ate a piece of pizza my son left on the table and took a large bite of cake off the top of the stove (we aren't trying to feed him people food, just dog food). Yesterday he was still eating treats but started throwing up a lot more often and in larger amounts, I got him to eat rice by having the entire family eat the same rice together. Today he is still throwing up small amounts again but is refusing to even eat treats. We have tried multiple types of dog food, wet and dry, including the one they used at the animal shelter.

I feel so bad. I know this is still very early but he is so skinny and I don't know how to help him adjust, and honestly I am getting very tired of cleaning up dog throw up all day long. Does anybody  have advice on how to help him or what is causing his sickness? He's really a fantastic dog and I know if will be great when he gets healthy I just feel like I am failing him right now.

21687744_10213011574351473_3800168087143610994_n.jpg

all I can say is first of all well done for having a rescue dog...and try one good food instead of mixing leave it for him, make sure all human foods are out of bounds might mean training the humans...treats to a minimum and then see what he does he has to get used to his new surroundings as well..I remember that it toke Alpha a good 2 weeks to eat properly and to get used to his new surroundings and rules etc...

Honestly, I think I would take him to a vet.  Not eating could be due to stress, but I don't think throwing up for three days can really be attributed to just being in a new home. Maybe its just some gastritis, but I'd want to rule out something more significant.  Has he been checked over by your vet yet?    Hope he gets better quickly.

1 minute ago, jnetser said:

Honestly, I think I would take him to a vet.  Not eating could be due to stress, but I don't think throwing up for three days can really be attributed to just being in a new home. Maybe its just some gastritis, but I'd want to rule out something more significant.  Has he been checked over by your vet yet?    Hope he gets better quickly.

We called them and they said to feed him rice and boiled chicken and if he is still throwing up Monday to bring him in :( It seems like a long time

I second the well done for rescuing [emoji3]you are not failing him, you have given him a second chance at life!
What treats are you giving him? Shop bought/human food treats can upset tummies.
It sounds like he has had a tough time bless him, he was a long time in rescue, my local rescue only give owners a week to claim a dog then it goes up for adoption, it can take up to 4 months for a rescue to settle in and learn to trust you, keep any human food out the way ( they are master thieves, I have had a few chickenless chicken dinners to prove it!!!) you only need to turn your back for a second!!!
It is very early days for him, dont overfuss or overwhelm him, its easy to want to just love and fuss them but give him some space and let him come to you on his terms, maybe a space which is just his, where he can learn he can go if he needs time to himself, he needs to learn that you are not going to abandon him or give up on him, it will take time, patience and lots of love.
I would also say a trip to vet to get him checked out
Good luck with him, you'll find lots of support on this forum

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Yes that is way too long to wait. He is probably extremely weak due to the amount of vomiting. He's got to be severely DEHYDRATED as well, & of course, malnourished, if he's very then. (Our Vet would say to bring him in right now or an Emergency Vet.) Dehydration can effect kidneys etc. He probably needs an IV to help with dehydration, an IV for nutrition, & should run blood work to ensure everything is good.
(With my two babies, I don't mess around too long when something is wrong.)
I'm deeply praying for your beautiful baby![emoji171][emoji120]

~ANGIE

Great work rescuing him!! :-):-) It takes them a long time settle and since he has had a rough life it could take him even longer. I would take him to the vet. Even though he is knew to the environment they should still eat. I also second giving him his own space some place safe just for him. Maybe in another room or a dog bed just for him to lay on. Huskies are independent most of the time but they love love. :-):-) Great work rescuing him and I'm praying for him :-):-)

Sent from my Pixel using Husky Owners mobile app

If he’s throwing up over a three day period, not eating and no idea of history then I agree to get a check over at the vets ASAP.
Yes, adjusting to a new house can cause stress initially. But until we know that there’s not an underlying medical reason for this, it’s hard to know what to recommend.
I would have said chicken and rice too. Also small amounts little and often. Ice wouldn’t eat it when he was sick so I had to cook him scrambled eggs (just plain eggs whisked up and cooked). If he’s been starved then his stomach would have shrunk so too much food and too rich food would be too much too handle initially.
Anyways. Welcome to the forum and good luck. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon. Xx

Thank you all! He seems to be doing better

My husband has a regular customer at the drive through coffee stand he manages who is a vet, they told me him the same thing about rice and chicken and that as long as he is drinking water to wait until Monday, and that because his stomach has been empty it is extra sensitive. But she also told him to look up Separation Anxiety Music for Dogs on youtube. I guess it hard to say if it was just time or if the music is magic but he hasn't thrown up since my husband got home.

He followed me around while I did yard work all day, found a bone my dads dog hid somewhere and ate half of it (I didn't have the heart to take it away, he was so excited). He kept it down though. He has pottied regularly all day, as well as marking everything he seems to think needs it. Tonight he begged for our salad at dinner (Why dog? You don't want this!). After dinner had been cleared away I poured some fresh hot broth over his food and he ate nearly all of it. It's been a little over a half hour now and he has still kept that down as well as lots more water. He is now tucked away in his bed so hopefully with the music going all night he can digest all his food and feel better in the morning!

IMG_0264.jpg

Thats great news!! He does look like a lost soul bless him, give him time, and with the care and love you are obviously giving him, he'll get a sparkle in his eyes

Oh, and whats his name??? [emoji3]

I am so glad he seems to be settling for you  -  he certainly is a beautiful dog - and will soon get a sparkle in his eyes.   I've never met a dog who doesn't like raw lambs ribs - they are small, easily chewed up  and a single rib makes a fabulous treat for them.

1 hour ago, wolfpup said:

I am so glad he seems to be settling for you  -  he certainly is a beautiful dog - and will soon get a sparkle in his eyes.   I've never met a dog who doesn't like raw lambs ribs - they are small, easily chewed up  and a single rib makes a fabulous treat for them.

That's a good idea! And I read somewhere lamb is really good for helping them put on weight which is a big priority!

And his name is Drogo (we're a nerd family, even our son is named Rohan lol). We debated between that and Balto.

He was fine all night! I'm cooking some fresh rice up now!

19 hours ago, hstavenger said:

That's a good idea! And I read somewhere lamb is really good for helping them put on weight which is a big priority!

And his name is Drogo (we're a nerd family, even our son is named Rohan lol). We debated between that and Balto.

He was fine all night! I'm cooking some fresh rice up now!

Most dogs also like raw fish  -  salmon is a favourite of my boy  -  but he also likes white fish as well.    If you feel like splashing out a bit more then in addition to the lamb's ribs - which most butchers throw away  (I pay 60p per kilo for things like chicken carcases, lambs ribs etc)  then try him on breast of lamb  -  got more meat on the ribs obviously.   Another thing I found with Marley is that he loves sardines (I use the ones in spring water)  -  if he won't eat his beef mince - I mash in a tin of sardines with it and he eats it all.   There are plenty of places now who cater for raw-fed dogs and the advantage of raw feeding is that there are so many choices to feed them,  e.g.  mine get:

beef chunks, beef mince, lamb's heart, ox heart, lambs liver, beef spleen, beef lungs, lamb lungs,chicken carcases, chicken necks, duck necks, turkey necks, rabbit  (whole or in chunks), venison chunks, salmon, white fish,whole mackerel, whole sprats, whole herrings, whole sardines, lamb tripe, lamb kidneys.    Marley won't eat liver - raw or cooked  - so I cut it thinly and dehydrate it as a treat  -  he loves it.

It is not expensive to feed raw (it costs me around £10 a week to feed two medium/large dogs) -  and if you are not already a raw feeder - and are concerned about the right ingredients etc  -  then there are complete raw meals to start off with.   I realize that raw feeding is not for everyone, but you have so much choice of what to give if you have either a fussy eater  -  or a poorly dog with little appetite.

He is lucky you found him, you are obviously prepared to go that extra mile  -  and he will reward you 10 fold.

Rather than creating a new thread, I thought I'd try my luck on this one instead:

My husky isn't having the same exact issues as Drogo, but she still refuses to eat regular dog food without some type of intervention with people food. For instance, if we mix in cottage cheese, pumpkin or carrots in with it, she's more likely to eat her dog food. But then it's gotten to the point where she can just pick out the cottage cheese or carrots and eat that instead of her actual food. She's only 4 months old, but we aren't sure what we can do to encourage her to actually eat. 

We have food set up in the kitchen for her whenever she needs it, but she would rather starve herself than eat that food. We've tried many different brands at this point. She likes it day one, but hates it the next. She'd rather beg for people food than eat her own. We only do dry food since wet food gives her diarrhea. Any suggestions?

Our rescue also did not eat at all the first day, and then just tiny amounts the second and third days. We figured he was nervous. He is fine now ( 3.5 weeks in )

great that he ate with broth poured over his food!

Maybe just keep doing that ... For a few days, don't try too many different kinds of foods...

If if he keeps having vomiting though, I might bring him for vet check then ( that sounds beyond normal nervousness/stress)?

great that you adopted a rescue!

He is a lucky dog! :-)

40 minutes ago, TeamYuki said:

Rather than creating a new thread, I thought I'd try my luck on this one instead:

My husky isn't having the same exact issues as Drogo, but she still refuses to eat regular dog food without some type of intervention with people food. For instance, if we mix in cottage cheese, pumpkin or carrots in with it, she's more likely to eat her dog food. But then it's gotten to the point where she can just pick out the cottage cheese or carrots and eat that instead of her actual food. She's only 4 months old, but we aren't sure what we can do to encourage her to actually eat. 

We have food set up in the kitchen for her whenever she needs it, but she would rather starve herself than eat that food. We've tried many different brands at this point. She likes it day one, but hates it the next. She'd rather beg for people food than eat her own. We only do dry food since wet food gives her diarrhea. Any suggestions?

Lunar, my Utonagan, had the runs for the first three years of his life  -  and believe me I tried everything  -  then I finally got him onto raw food and he hasn't had the runs since.   Marley is the fussy one in the family  -  but with raw I have so much choice for him it doesn't really matter.   Have you tried fish?   I found that mixing a tin of sardines really worked into the normal food  got him eating  -  I mixed it with mince  -  and the sardines breaks up so small he cannot pick it out, but it should work for dry food - especially if you pour the water over it as well.

• 1 month later...

Dakota is my third rescue Husky, taken from a high kill shelter on his last day. He is seven years old, 72 pounds and lanky. He is very skinny. We leave his food down 24/7. He grazes: Eating a mouthful or two of kibble and wandering off and then returning. If I soft scramble an egg and mix it in, he will eat more, trying to pick out the egg. If I mix in a can of tuna, he will eat it all the tuna, again trying to pick out the tuna. I make sure that he always has water.

It is pretty normal for a rescue dog not to eat enthusiastically for awhile. Most dogs will eat tuna, or cooked shredded chicken & rice, or raw fish, or chicken broth, or fish broth. As long as they will drink water, they are probably OK.

You will have to experiment to see what kibble your dog will eat. Mine currently will eat Purina One Lamb and Rice. My previous Husky was happy with Costco lamb and rice.

After three months, as Dakota emotionally settles down, Dakota is less picky eating. I suspect that he would like to train me to feed him tuna all of the time. Even if a pure tuna diet was adequately balanced, we couldn't afford it. He is just going to have to decide which kibble he prefers - We are experimentally putting down down 2 -3 different kibbles at a time and having him select which one he prefers.

Archived