Please can anyone help?

danniii19840

Hi, I'm getting really worried i have a female husky who is 13 months old and will hardly eat? I think it's down to me spoiling her and giving her to much choice! I have tried the she will eat when she's hungry for 3 days and she literally ate no more than a handful. She loves her veg like carrots and sweet peppers Brussel sprouts etc! But again keeps only when she feels like eating them. (I had a male husky for 10 years and had no problems with him) she's on barking heads biscuits but again will only eat a little. She isn't ill as she will happily eat a dog chews/bones. I think I'm giving her to much choice and she's become spoilt. I try her with chicken, boiled mince,lambs liver etc and she will eat tiny bits of them she now hates wet dog food! As i said she will happily eat dog chews/bones and is healthy. Sometimes i hear her wake up about 4am and eat all her food in the bowl but then that's very rare she does that. I heard that huskies will only eat as much as they burn off the calories which i don't know if it's true as my last husky i had no eating problems with. Sorry for the long message I'm just getting worried. She's not really thin but she's slim and needs to put some weight on. Thank you for reading this. 

I would start on a good quality food (raw or kibble)...feed at a regular time after a  walk  leave the food for 15 mins not eaten take it away...no treats nothing just food twice a day...they will not starve themselves...

Hi at 13 months huskies are slim, it's their teenage stage and they look a bit lanky!
You do need to stop offering her so much different food. Wet dog food isn't great, it wrecks their teeth. Maybe try her on a raw diet? Try one thing and stick to it. Try to minimise treats too, and stick to one variety
Also don't leave her food out, leave it out for half an hour tops and then take it away

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I agree with robke. I had a similar issue and reduced the amount of kibble and fed twice a day. After the walk in the morning and a couple of hours before walk in the evening. Stop the treats and tip bits completely. One thing that's not mentioned a lot on here is ROUTINE. Feed and walk the same times every single day if possible. This cured my feeding issue. Good luck [emoji6]

I fed my two kibble when they were pups and then I decided to feed raw and now they won't eat kibble at all, stick to a 'type' of food, small portions twice a day. If you're concerned about weight loss the vets will weigh her and advise on a feeding programme if she's underweight.
Husky's can get bored with the same food, one of mine did and after trying different foods he loves salmon and chicken.
Good luck [emoji6]

I have an ongoing battle with Marley (18 months) - the fussiest eater I have ever had.    Yesterday he turned his nose up at raw chicken carcase,beef mince, sardines and kefir with some bone broth over the mince  (one meal)  -  as soon as I put his bowl down he walked outside and laid down.   This was at 12 noon  -  tried him again at 3pm - same thing  -  tried again at 6pm and he decided he was going to eat.    Many days he will eat breakfast and then nothing else.    One thing he will always eat though is eggs  -  either raw or scrambled,  if raw he likes them whipped up with a fork first.    Providing he has had an egg or two I really don't care if he has anything else.

He used to get a lot of choices  - when he was younger he would get at least four separate things to try and tempt him  -  now its one choice and he will pick out what he wants - or eat it all - or eat nothing.  On those days he is being difficult I just give him a couple of eggs at the end of the day.    When he won't eat mince - I add a whipped egg and coat the mince in it  -  he gets a lot of mince whilst trying to lick the egg off.   He isn't particularly fond of mince  -  it hasn't got bone in it and he likes his food to crunch - hence it is usually mixed with either egg or sardines.   He loves chicken carcases but will not eat a bit of chicken breast  or thigh if it hasn't got a bone with it.

The raw chicken, mince and sardines gives them every single vitamin and mineral there is, the bone broth is a bonus they get 3 or 4  times a week, and I always give them a dessertspoon of kefir cheese once a day  (Marley won't take kefir milk but loves the kefir cheese).

A fussy dog is a nightmare - but there is always a way round it, particularly if you feed raw  -  you have so many choices not available if feeding kibble or wet (personal opinion only - not a criticism).    Lunar is 11 years old and not a sign of tartar anywhere on his teeth - he has the teeth of a puppy -  and for the last 8 years never been known to turn his nose up at anything thankfully!

One last little bit on fussy Marley  -  even when he won't eat his own food - if he can get to the cat's wet-pouch food he will happily scoff the lot (anything stolen seems to be the best food on the planet) - and they contain better protein  nutrition than wet dog food

Got picky eaters as well! Pick one thing like everyone suggested and stick to it, they won't starve themselves unless there's a medical issue and then you need to see a vet. Also found that Tsunami will be more picky about kibble when he's had biscuits or treats ;-)

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Husky Owners mobile app

Can always brush your husky's teeth if needs be.... both of mine are on a wet dry mix. Weve tried all sorts of food including raw. 

Archived