Trying to introduce Mowgli to a new friend

DanUK

Last weekend on my evening walk I came across another husky which I have only seen once before and the owners advised to keep my distance which I did. This time they kept there distance but I asked them if they would like to try to introduce them both. They said ok and we went to introduce them. First attempt first attempt was bad and theirs went straight for Mowgli but the second and third were ok. They were both ON LEADS so the first sign of growling we pulled them apart. The fourth attempt was where we got the problem. I was slightly downhill on a slope and Mowgli was between my legs so I had limited room to move if anything happened. Guess what... the other dog done his thing and all I could do was turn my back to him to protect Mowgli.

I don't blame the other dog but I wish the owner was a little quicker pulling him back as I ended up with a day of work, tetanus jab and a week of antibiotics [emoji3] I still don't know which dog got me but luckily it was only one single puncture wound in my bicep which is healing well.

5c0a622c1f174240b70caa384c5ee18b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Ouch, yeah know that feeling got bit by my boy Darwin when he was scrapping with my girly Echo.

Grabbed his collar (yep rookie mistake) and he whipped his head around thinking he was being attacked from behind and put teeth into my wrist top and bottom

Emergency room guys said I was lucky he bit and let go because his teeth met behind all the veins and tendons.

hope yours heals quick :up:

Thanks all for your comments. I don't blame the other dog or owner. These things can sometimes happen. I feel sorry for them and have great respect as he was a rescue and they gave it a home. I don't think I could deal with a dog so aggressive and lively. Arm is healing well are has now stopped hurting [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

• 1 month later...

important tip

use muzzles

how i introduce new dogs is they all get muzzles on for the first few meetings and play dates best to use one of the plastic or wire cage type the webbing muzzles have to be loose so a dog can breath drink etc and they can still get a nip in, and its not nice to have them pulled in so tight they can not open mouth to pant  etc

always set meeting spot on nuetral ground dont use  your gardens  go to a place away from normal dog walking spots for both dogs and let them get sniffing  etc done there then walk together to a place you can let the of with the muzlles on for offlead romp. Also dont be too fast to break up a tussle as some times they will have a try at each other that lasts  a few seconds to like 30 them break off as they have storted out who is the boss.  only say no and break up if  they keep having a go or dont break up after a short time.

we have in my local park lots of dogs that play with the husky pack but they swap and change as we know one of the huskys does not tollerate other bitches and one male dog, but she is ok with other males. My boy is ok with most of the huskys just does not get on with one malamute

Dogs are like people not all dogs like all other dogs same as some people get on  with each other and can not stand some others

Archived