Skyla's got arthritis

Poor Skyla!

Something we have here that's natural is Buchu. I believe you do get the Ricky Litchfield products on Amazon
https://www.rickylitchfield.com they have capsules that contain Buchu and fish oils for Omega 3 oils that works awesome for arthritis or even injuries. Its even anti-inflammatory and not that expensive...

Sent from my SM-T815 using Husky Owners mobile app

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
@BingBlaze n SKYLA ~
Is SKYLA feeling a bit better I pray??

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

She's ok in herself , she's not back to the vets until Feb , I haven't had her weighed lately but even tho her fur is growing back n making her look massive she still has a noticeable tuck and waist so I think we're going in the right direction :) worried the cold will make her feel stiff but unfortunately she prefers being out in the cold so just something we'll have to try n put up with , thanks for asking :)

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

• Like 1

https://www.riaflex.co.uk/products/canine-joint-plus/
My dog trainer swears by this  -  he has dobermans two of which have arthritis and he says that this supplement basically takes all the symptoms away.   I know its expensive but maybe worth a try?

I'm not sure she'd take that with it being a powder I'm guessing it would have to go over food? And one tub would only last a month :/ I might look into it a bit more tho thanks :)
@WolfPup
I noticed the bottle said "for working dogs." Would this bottle be too strong for an older dog like my Dad's Samoyed who is almost 18yrs old & of course not as much of a working dog now?? I guess I could get lower dosages.

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

Skyla is taking yumove tablets atm maybe those would work for your dad's dog , they do a yumove plus which might help , skyla is on the ones second down on the list , I get hers from amazon though it's cheaper

http://www.lintbells.com/products/shopby/brand-yumove?gclid=CjwKEAjwyIHPBRCIxtvb0afHsHwSJAAc9L4Yh33uW1MyP-3TSdQDD3Imunw-ypIEk6M2ygovSBv75RoCRM7w_wcB

• Like 1

Okay great! I'll look into it. He's on an anti-inflammatory & never "shows" or acts in pain. In adult years, I think he's like 96 so he has to hurt but he's always so happy![emoji171]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

Skyla is the same n I don't know if the yumove are helping but she doesn't get stiff so I'm hoping they do lol

• Like 1

Vets charges are a joke, a few years ago one of my dogs had a bad eye, the drops teh vet gave me cost £17.50, few days later i was in the ocal chemist and saw the exact same eye drops over the counter for £2.50. I think vets fee's should be Capped as you can find some bills are inflated by post code,

Other times they charge a huge mark up on bandages and gauze pads the normal add on seems to be about £10 per bandage I know some people defend them and say they have huge costs and stuff but its a joke how two vets a mile or so apart can charge such different fee's one will ask for a couple hundred for something the other over 1000 for the exact same condition in the same animal.

Also a few years ago one of the cowboy scam trader shows did one about Vets, they had a researcher take a dog into a selection of vets that had been checked out as healthy by a top vet before the show. In most cases the vets all recomended some form of treatment one even wanted to keep the animal in.

They also reported on vets that did poor treatment in one case actulay cuasing harm to an animal and in another billing for treatemht that was never done if i remember it was for pins and screws in bones that later at a another vets were when xrayed not there

Yeah, you'd probably be able to tell if she's hurting or stiff.
At night, you can always massage the areas that hurt her. Plus SKYLA will then be super relaxed before nighty night![emoji42]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

I would but I don't live with her , they live at my parents i moved out 2 years ago and took skyla with me but blaze was upset she'd gone n she didn't settle so I took her back , I just go n walk them every day 3 times a day lol I might do the massaging after walks b4 I go back home for the evening though :) never even thought to do that with her

• Like 1

Aww, that's too cute of AMY! She's such a doll baby!!
I massage along their vertebra to help loosen tension and massage their hip joints & legs, neck/head & of course tummy rubs!! Massaging gets them so so relaxed & is also great for bonding etc.
Now, I NEED A MASSAGE!! LOL![emoji171]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

• 9 months later...

Updating , she went to the vets yesterday, our vet is VERY happy with how she's walking and picking up her legs , however my animals don't like to make things easy and has a lump on her leg right between her Achilles tendon and her bone, the vet aspirated it with a needle and I got the results back today , luckily it's just a fatty lump but if it gets bigger it might need removing , fingers crossed it doesn't grow

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Back to the vets today,  noticed the past couple of weeks her leg has started shaking , at first put it down to being cold and having  a flare up but wanted to get her checked to be safe , turns out she now has degenerative bone disease :( shes now on tramadol to see how she gets on (low dose to start) 

feel so bad for my girl , yet despite everything she is always smiling 

20200111_115843.thumb.jpg.d0d99a1c02ab34cf0ffff2682129c3ed.jpg

Is Skyla still on the yumove?    Reason for asking is that I understand the only active ingredient in both Yumove and the prescription strength Yumove is blue lipped mussels.    Riaflex do a pure blue lipped mussel powder  -  works out a fraction of the cost of yumove.

I know it wont help with the pain - but if it gives her any sort of relief its got to be worth a try.

2 hours ago, wolfpup said:

Is Skyla still on the yumove?    Reason for asking is that I understand the only active ingredient in both Yumove and the prescription strength Yumove is blue lipped mussels.    Riaflex do a pure blue lipped mussel powder  -  works out a fraction of the cost of yumove.

I know it wont help with the pain - but if it gives her any sort of relief its got to be worth a try.

She is,  I've just moved her to the extra strength yumove , I'll look into the riaflex tho thanks 

The tramadol has already made a difference but if anything else helps I'm willing to give it a go 

On 1/12/2020 at 12:28 PM, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

She is,  I've just moved her to the extra strength yumove , I'll look into the riaflex tho thanks 

The tramadol has already made a difference but if anything else helps I'm willing to give it a go 

One other thing that just might help is colostrum:

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/colostrum-benefits-for-dogs/

Marley is back on it  - it helps with allergies as well as repairing joint tissue

6 hours ago, wolfpup said:

One other thing that just might help is colostrum:

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/colostrum-benefits-for-dogs/

Marley is back on it  - it helps with allergies as well as repairing joint tissue

Thanks I'll check that out too, shes doing amazing on the tramadol too , like a brand new dog lol 

1 hour ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Thanks I'll check that out too, shes doing amazing on the tramadol too , like a brand new dog lol 

That's great news  -  but tramadol is really just masking the problems as you know   -   the green lipped mussels and colostrum may be able to help the condition.    I am just glad she is not in pain.

On 1/18/2020 at 9:26 PM, wolfpup said:

That's great news  -  but tramadol is really just masking the problems as you know   -   the green lipped mussels and colostrum may be able to help the condition.    I am just glad she is not in pain.

Yeah,  the vets have now moved her off tramadol to tralieve which is still basically tramadol but its pet medication and more effective apparently so hopefully that helps too once it arrives 

• Like 1

One thing I think I forgot to mention that is one of the best things to give for joint problems is bone broth  - sorry if I am teaching granny to suck eggs!

Bone broth also contains a slew of other joint-healthy ingredients, like glucosamine and chondroitin as well as calcium, magnesium, phosophorus, silicon and sulfur.

This article is for humans  - but you can pick out the stuff that is good for dogs and ignore things like onions obviously.

https://draxe.com/nutrition/foods-for-your-joints/?utm_source=curated&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20200122_curated_freeshippingplug

I used to give Lunar bulls trachea to chew  - he enjoyed it and it is almost completely made up of glucosamine & chondroitin.

• Like 1