Skyla's got arthritis

Skyla last Friday started limping , we decided to keep an eye on her over the weekend as our vets was fully booked but by the time I got home that evening she wasn't put weight on it at all so I rang our vet surgery instead (the other one is more like a doctors a lot smaller) and got her in for Saturday morning , the vet said she either had arthritis or elbow displaysia but they can't know about displaysia until they xray but at £800 we'll try her on metacam for a week n see how she gets on , she went back this morning n the vet is more certain it's arthritis as her elbows are lot comfier now so the antiinflammatorys is working

She's now on long term metacam after a blood test to make sure she's ok to have it long term and a diet to help with pressure on her joints

Luckily I managed to get a prescription for her metacam n get it online to save me a hefty lump of cash!

Seriously ask for a prescription if your dog ever has to be on long term medication! I paid £15.98 for a 10ml bottle of metacam the other day that only lasts skyla 4 days that I could have got for like £2.50! [emoji33]

She also made the vet feel guilty , when they were opening the packets for the syringe and needle etc she thought she was getting treats so she got treats after lol! [emoji23]

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

1531905a72a7a46ed9e0bd2e7ad61511.jpg
  • Like 3

Bless her! Thankfully theres lots you can do to help with it, if she like water, hydro therapy is supposed to be really good, and can be claimed on insurance!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

My vet charges between £200 - £250 for x-rays  -  its worth trying another vet for the x-rays  -  then taking the results to your vet.    Am thinking about her.

Correction  -  that was my previous vet  -  my present one charged me £38  !

Sorry to hear she has arthritis Nix. I didn't realise they did metacam in the uk, thought it was only states side. Brooke was put on loxicom and at first I wasn't convinced it was doing anything but after a while I noticed a real difference in her.
Bear's on steroids life long and we get a year's prescription online, animed I think it is we use (was the cheapest by far for that specific brand and dosage). Definitely the most cost effective way long term to get meds.
Hope she feels more happy in herself soon xxx

• Like 1

It's definitely worth it to shop around for meds. Yukon is on 4 different meds for his seizures and I get them all at different places and it saves a ton of money!! Glad Skyla is doing better and it can be managed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sorry to hear she has arthritis Nix. I didn't realise they did metacam in the uk, thought it was only states side. Brooke was put on loxicom and at first I wasn't convinced it was doing anything but after a while I noticed a real difference in her.
Bear's on steroids life long and we get a year's prescription online, animed I think it is we use (was the cheapest by far for that specific brand and dosage). Definitely the most cost effective way long term to get meds.
Hope she feels more happy in herself soon xxx

I used petdrugsonline for skyla's , hoping they ship them out Monday because her current meds run out then , I paid extra for next day delivery too but still works out a lot cheaper then the vet
She's so much better then she was a couple of days ago , I thought it was gonna cost me a lot more lol , have u never used metacam before then? I think all 3 of mine have been on it at some point or another

aeafe31fbbe97e50a5b9b2c212f90029.jpg

• Like 2

I used petdrugsonline for skyla's , hoping they ship them out Monday because her current meds run out then , I paid extra for next day delivery too but still works out a lot cheaper then the vet

She's so much better then she was a couple of days ago , I thought it was gonna cost me a lot more lol , have u never used metacam before then? I think all 3 of mine have been on it at some point or another

aeafe31fbbe97e50a5b9b2c212f90029.jpg

No it was never offered to me as an option, I don't know why but that's why I thought it was an American/Canadian drug as the only people I've heard mention it before were from Canada, lol.

Great to hear it is working well. Dunno about metacam but with loxicom it can upset stomachs so we gave it to Brooke after food and she never had a problem but then that little lady had a cast iron stomach anyway, not like Ice who gets the runs at the drop of a hat. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

• Like 1

It's definitely worth it to shop around for meds. Yukon is on 4 different meds for his seizures and I get them all at different places and it saves a ton of money!! Glad Skyla is doing better and it can be managed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As. My mom's husky mix was on medication for seizures. I think she took one line but unsure. It definitely made a huge difference for her.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well she's still stiff , sadly her weight loss didn't happen so she's on rations now lol

More metacam and she doesn't have to go back for 6 months now either the vets happy that she's not got any worse too

• Like 1

Well it's good that's it's stable and not any worse . I know that with Brooke she found the cold winters the toughest or any spells of wet weather. I know I've mentioned it before but things like walking on low impact surfaces like grass can help and padded bedding if you can get them to lie on it, lol. Hydrotherapy might be something to look into?
Did you try that youmove stuff that I saw people recommending on Facebook?

• Like 1

Well it's good that's it's stable and not any worse . I know that with Brooke she found the cold winters the toughest or any spells of wet weather. I know I've mentioned it before but things like walking on low impact surfaces like grass can help and padded bedding if you can get them to lie on it, lol. Hydrotherapy might be something to look into?
Did you try that youmove stuff that I saw people recommending on Facebook?

Yeah she's on the yumove and she has joint care treats from morrisons too , she's definitely not stiff when she gets up anymore but that might change when it's colder , she doesn't really lie on beds :/
I've only briefly looked into hydrotherapy but haven't found anywhere close by that didn't cost a small fortune which I just sadly can't afford :( I need to find a river she can swim in lol

• Like 1

Praying for your SKYLA-Baby! It's hard when they hurt. Vet bills are so expensive, but anything to help our precious babies. SKYLA is a doll baby, just gorgeous![emoji171]

~ANGIE

Thanks :) she hasn't let it slow her down at all so just gotta work harder at the diet , it actually cost less to take Skyla to the vet than it cost when I took Remi one of my rats last week, I ask for a prescription for her medication so I can buy it cheaper online so all I had to pay for today was the consultation and the prescription :)

• Like 1

Glad she is responding well to the meds  Lunar also  suffers with arthritis  and rather than give him expensive chondroitin tablets, I give him raw bull/cow trachea  -  he thinks it is a chewy treat and it helps no end.

• Like 1