Hello!

Fisk

Hi there! My name's Sam, and I'm from Omaha, NE. I just got my first huskypup(third dog, first husk) Wednesday of this week, from a really great local place. His name's Phoenix, and he's a light red and white little guy, barely 6 weeks old. So far, it's been quite an experience, this little guy is a ball of energy! Still working on crate training and housebreaking, unfortunately, neither one is going particularly well. I'm hoping that by the end of this weekend, I can have him good to go for both, but we'll see. I'm working on getting some pictures uploaded, but my telephone isn't cooperating yet, so hopefully I'll be able to show you guys my pup yet tonight. Ta!

Welcome to the Pack! Well, at six weeks, you've got your work cut out. The 7th and 8th weeks of a pup's life, they still learn a lot from their litter mates and their mom. But, now that he's in your pack, you'll have to do a few things to ensure he picks up those skills. But you'll do fine, and so will he. Be patient, give him lots of attention and interact with him, mixing some play time with training. And yes, we do love pics. If you have any questions or concerns, just post. There are a lot of very helpful people here and you'll gain a lot of information.

Good deal on the age. 9 weeks is much better than 6 weeks for getting a new pup. He is so darn cute. I especially like the photo of him yawning. Thanks for posting.

http://www.sibrescue.com/crate-training.html

I'm working through this guide right now, and it's not going too terribly, but I don't think he's tired enough to be content sitting still. I'm going to crate him overnight for the first time tonight, here's to hoping it goes well.

Thanks for all the positive replies, you guys are great! I can already tell what a wonderful resource this forum will be.

oh 9 weeks is better than 6 biggrin.gif lol ,,, he shouldn't rly b going out on walks yet tho - im assuming hes only had 1 vaccination and not 2? he shudnt b going out till a week/2 weeks after his 2nd injection -

also there is a general rule about how long 2 take them out - 5 mins for every month so say at 4 months old ur dog shud only b going out for roughly 20 mins a day, but 2 tire him out u cud do sum training - tho only do it for a few mins a time (cuz pup will get bored lol) and always end on a good note - eg make him do a trick he nos what 2 do n praise him then leave it for a good while b4 u go bk n do more training smile.gif -

also with toilet training (this just jumped in2 my head lol) how often do u let him out 2 do his business u shud b taking him in2 ur garden (if its secure from other animals getting in if he hasnt had all his vaccs) or 2 his puppy pads/ or whatever ur using, after eating, playing, drinking and sleeping and every couple ov hours as puppys only have REALLY small bladders and will need 2 go often ,also dont tell him off after he has had an accident as he wont understand y hes being told off - if u catch him in the act say 'outside' in an alarmed voice (not angry) also get up a few times durin the night 2 let him out and dont let the pup see u cleaning up his mess as he will think u are 'playing with his mess' and will think he has pleased u and because him mother wud have cleaned up after him he will see this as normal and think y should he change anything - make sure when u take ur puppy outside u go with him and when he does his business in the garden praise him like CRAZY,,,also use the same door everytime u take him out 2 do his business and another tip is leaving abit ov his 'poop' in the area u want him 2 use as this will remind him ov his duty next time he goes out - hope this helps

also a good book 2 get and read is - siberian huskies for dummies - alot ov members on here swear by it biggrin.gif

btw he is GORGEOUS wub.gif

Hi and welcome to the pack :D

Love the pics - hope you come back to post up more, it's lovely to see them as they grow :wub:

Make sure you don't over do the walks at the moment, you need to build them up gradually, as Nix said, 5 mins per month of age is a good rule of thumb - the bones / tissue are growing at present and over excercising will cause damage on the joints, best to play it safe and focus more on training - mental games will tire him out as much as physical excersice will :)

Look forward to seeing you around, feel free to ask anything and everything, you will always get lots of helpful and friendly advice here :)