Husky sleep on puddle of water - why?

D. Samiadji

Hi all... I'm looking around for an answer of my husky sleeping habit, and found this forum. Hopes you can shares some enlightenment to my situation.

Recently, I fostered a 4.5 months Husky. And loveeee every minutes of having her in my house. However... I found her sleeping habit's weird.

See, she likes to sleep in a puddle of water. And she's doing it at night, where the temps is actually quite cold. Especially for Indonesian tropical weather (my house is on a hill, and surrounded by green environment).

I hate to contains my "child" on a crate. But I can't stop worrying if this habit will be bad for her health. What should I do? Anyone can gives me some explanation? Any clue will be highly appreciate. 

Btw, for comparison, I also fostered 2 older Samoyed who both sleeping in their own bed & blanket. 

I understand that Husky thrives on cold temp, but so does Samoyed. Yet, only the husky does this. 

Please anyone gives me any clues to this Husky's behavior...

Thank youuu

image.jpg

Hi all, it's me again... Thanks so much for the replies given. However, I still have my concern.

To play in water puddle is always a okay. I even put a small tub of water in the yard for my kids (read: 2 Samo & 1 Husk) to play & cooling down during the day. 

But to sleep on it? For hours on? Will the water puddle not creates mold or some kind of green under husky's thick fur?

I worried that my baby girl Queenie might get skin infection or something latter on from this habit.

Btw, starting this evening, I actually put her on leash, just to ensure that she's sleeping in dry land. :)

Now she's sleepin in the granite floor, which is quite cold during the night. She's only using her bed when I curled up with her there. The second I got up, she's going down to the floor. :) 

I think she's just trying to keep cool, although I think the granite floor might be better than a puddle! When they're working they sleep out in the snow so I wouldn't worry about water damaging her coat, just make sure the area is clean

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Hi again all sibe parents...

Just want to update on the progress with Queen and her sleeping in the puddle habit.

We visited the vet last Saturday, to do some check up, and also to have her vaccine. We finally have her paper, and turns out she's 6 months already. Her paper said that she had her vaccine before, but due to her previous life (she's a rescued sibe from a neglect owner who can afford to buy but not to provide care), we decided to do the vaccine from the start again just to be sure. 

And like I've guessed, the vet doesn't like the idea of her sleeping the entire night in a puddle. It may caused bacterial growth from the dirty water.

So, against my own heart, I start to crate her at night. Just to get her into habit of sleeping in dry land. And plans to let her off it once she forget her old habit. 

She's been very good, and learns her crate training quick. Especially since I also provide a fluffy silicone mattres & ice block in her crate. 

Note on the mattress. It's fluffy but not absorb any water. So the ice can melt and stay cool on the bottom area, but did not get her fur wet. She lick & play with that ice untill she's ready to sleep. And by that time, the melted ice provide cool water on the base of her mattres to sleep on.

And even if she's a bit wet, I know for sure that the water is clean. I made that ice block myself. Hhehe...

Regards.

D & Q 

Archived