Need advice

BigD.Sr

I have done quite of bit of research for the last year on the Siberian Huskies. We finally decided to pull the trigger and add to our family, but here is my dilema. We were going to get a male and female and we had already put deposits down, but I was told by some other people not to get a girl and boy combo. I was also told that a girl and boy combo was good. I would like to have your guy's opinion on this.

We pick up Knox on Friday and decide to wait a few months before we pick up our girl. We were suppose to get both at the same time, but was told don't get the dogs from the same litter. We rolled the deposit over to a different litter. Need some insight!huh.gif

I plan on getting a male as my next pup, as kira prefers boys, she gets on great with our housemates male greyhound, but not so much with the female.... So we've chosen to have a boy.

I cant say i've ever heard of boys and girls not being a good combo, but i wouldnt recommend having 2 young pups growing up together, as its twice the work, twice the mess, twice the amount of money and they often become more attached to each other than you, and they can be difficult, but thats only what i'v heard, iv never had 2 pups, kira will be about 2 when we get our next pup.

And if you have 2 of the opposite sex remember one or both will have to be fixed, so you dont have to worry about seperating during seasons and unplanned litters.

i have 2 boys an 1 girl they all get along, it ould not matter what you get boy/girl or boy/boy your getting as pups together so will grow together, getting 2 boys at an older age is harder my boys were 18 an 16 month and man did they fight at first an they still have their disagrements now, very rare for a boy/girl to fight as for getting 2 together well you have done your reserch you know they hard work so if you have the money and the time to put in the training then is your chose good luck xxx

Well that is the plan. We will get knox at the end of the week and then we would get our other one in june. We are not trying to be breeders, so we will be getting the dogs fixed. When I researched them some info said they do better with having another dog and my wife wants a girl. We talked to the breeder and she told us girl and boy combo was ok, but I had become a member of another forum and they basically told me I was an idiot for not get same sex packs and they would never do that because the huskies would go crazy. I have seen girla boy dogs get along, so I didn't understand why they became so confrontational. I said I was going to have them fixed and they chewed my head off. I didn't understand that either. I'm not trying to be a breeder I just want to enjoy my pets that I have always wanted. They just happen to be one of the most demanding dogs, but I won't settle for anything less. All me and my wife have researched has been mostly negative, but I know there are some good points in there some where.

Well that is the plan. We will get knox at the end of the week and then we would get our other one in june. We are not trying to be breeders, so we will be getting the dogs fixed. When I researched them some info said they do better with having another dog and my wife wants a girl. We talked to the breeder and she told us girl and boy combo was ok, but I had become a member of another forum and they basically told me I was an idiot for not get same sex packs and they would never do that because the huskies would go crazy. I have seen girla boy dogs get along, so I didn't understand why they became so confrontational. I said I was going to have them fixed and they chewed my head off. I didn't understand that either. I'm not trying to be a breeder I just want to enjoy my pets that I have always wanted. They just happen to be one of the most demanding dogs, but I won't settle for anything less. All me and my wife have researched has been mostly negative, but I know there are some good points in there some where.

Oh I'm sorry! I read your OP like you were getting two at once. My bad :)

I've heard people recommend against getting SAME sex pairings i.e. f/f or m/m but I've never heard anyone recommend against getting m/f - bit odd if you ask me :)

Personally I have two bitches and a dog, I don't have any problems with mine and my natural inclination would always be to go with getting one of each sex.

Some people out there can be very rude when your just looking for abit of info! I've always heard that the boy girl combo was the best especially if getting older dogs but getting two so close together and that young whatever you get they should bond and be fine as far as I have read! And yes your of course totally right that if you do just want family pets then fixing them both will save you a world of problems with behaviour and possible ill health and all sorts so you are very sensible for getting them fixed, there are still too many people out there who dont and then act surprised when their bitch gets pregnant or their dog goes nuts and escapes coz theres a bitch in heat somewhere in the neighbourhood!

Also very well done for doing all your research and asking questions before bringing the pups home! You will have a blast because you have a better idea what your doing now! biggrin.gif

I must admit, when we were looking to rehome, we were advised as we already had a female, a male would be better to bring into the pack, but it depends on who you talk to as to what reply you get! :lol: I think it depends more on the personality & character of the dogs as opposed to the sex as to whether they are compatible, but as you can see from this forum 1) there are all sorts of combinations of male/male, female/female & mixed sex packs all living in (near) harmony!! :lol: :lol: and 2) you will get sensible replies to your questions here, we're all here for one reason & that is to enjoy our huskies! :D

I cant see why having m/f would be a problem - i've got 2 boys but want a girl in the near future - like you - i do not wish to breed at all and they'd be neutered as I know that I would really struggle keeping them seperate when she was in heat.

Good luck with your new pup - can't wait to see some pics :D

I want to thank everybody for making feel welcomed. I think this forum is fantastic and overall I get a good feel from the people I have had the chance to interact with. I'm sure I will get to know you guys better as I am able to learn how to navigate through the forum. I almost couldn't find my topic tonite. Thank God I did. If you guys could share some of the positive things about having your husky it would be greatly appreciated. Lord knows My wife and I have heard all of the negative things about them.

I want to thank everybody for making feel welcomed. I think this forum is fantastic and overall I get a good feel from the people I have had the chance to interact with. I'm sure I will get to know you guys better as I am able to learn how to navigate through the forum. I almost couldn't find my topic tonite. Thank God I did. If you guys could share some of the positive things about having your husky it would be greatly appreciated. Lord knows My wife and I have heard all of the negative things about them.

This is, without a doubt, one of the most helpful and friendly forums you'll find anywhere.

There are some issues with Huskies that some find to be faults with the breed. The biggest problems are not with the breed, but with the owners not realizing what is involved in owning a Husky. So doing your research upfront, knowing what to expect, and keeping one step ahead, you'll find having a Husky is both enjoyable and rewarding.

Consistency is the real key to having a Husky. There will be times when there will be setbacks. Huskies are always pushing the envelope. But when you firmly and fairly and consistently apply the rules, they quickly learn what the limits are. Oh, they will still look for those opportunities so you have to stay on top of your game.

Our first Husky was a real challenge for us. We almost gave her back. But we stuck it out, and she ended up being a wonderful part of our family. We learned so much from her. She prepared us well for our current Husky. I would not be happy with any other breed.

Our current Husky, Zoya, is such a wonderful dog. She is so funny in the morning when she first wakes up, walks down the hall to the kitchen wooing all the way. Sort of like she's grumpy from being wakened. When I take her out at the end of the night, she is so anxious to go potty, but when she gets outside, she's not in any hurry to do her business. Zoya quickly learned that potty was to be done outside, not inside. She has not chewed any shoes, any furniture, socks, or other items that were not hers. Positive reinforcement went a long way in ensuring she knew her toys were her toys and our stuff was our stuff.

Spend a lot of time with your new pup when you get him or her. Set some routines, so your new pup knows what to expect. The time you spend with your pup, will go a long way in helping your pup develop into a lifelong companion. If you get a crate for your Husky, you'll find it a great asset in training your Husky for potty duty. It also provides a safe haven for your Husky when you have to leave the house, and gives them a space of their own.

Husky ownership requires a commitment and a fairly high level of responsibility. Some people are not willing to make the commitment or invest in the responsibility. Those are the ones who end up abandoning their Huskies. Shame on them.

I know you said that you hear a lot of negative things about huskies from books and other people etc. I just wanted to let you know that we did hear all that information before we got our pup too.... AND none of it was true!!!! I know some dogs will dig and some will chew stuff up etc etc. I just think that if you spend a lot of time and effort training your pup that they may not necessarily do those things. Everyone who told us negative things are all eating their words because ours is so well-behavedbiggrin.gif So don't fret too much on the negative of this breed. Some people will say that this breed is untrainable, but that is far from true. Now that I have my husky I would never get another breed of dog in a million years! In my opinion I think they are one of the most wonderful breeds of dogs ever! They're very smart, very affectionate, very friendly, love children, love to play, love to hike and walk, and they have such silly personalities! They remind me of forever children lol. So mischievous and playfullaugh.gif

Just remember to keep them occupied and not let them get bored so they don't destroy stuff. We started Pongo on nylabones for chew toys and he loved the edibles so much that he never chewed a piece of furniture in our house!cool.gif He understands that his toys are to be chewed on and our things are to be left alone, which I think comes with teaching at a young age. Good luck with your two pups and I'm sure you will fall even more in love with this breed once you have themsmile.gif I know we did and there is never a dull moment in this house:wub:

Hi D and welcome to the pack. wave.gif Our dogs previous to Sabre, although not Huskys, were brother and sister and we had them from 8 weeks old to the age of 14yrs with no problems at all.We had the bitch done before her first season as we had no way of separating them during the day and she lived to the grand old age of 15 before being put to sleep.

Hiya cant wait to see some piccys when you get Knox home.

We have a boy girl combo, Our male is two and our female we rehomed nearly a month ago. No problems between them at all, and I'd definitely say she gets the upper hand most of the time.

Yes there are loads of negatives out there about buying a Siberian Husky but its worth every minute of it. They really are like children, even to having their own little strops and answering back if they dont get their own way. I think a lot of the negatives come from people who havent looked into the breed before getting them and so arent prepared for the husky life. You sound like you and your wife have done your research and are well aware of the pitfalls so you'll be fine and in no time you'll have your little bundle of fluff to take over yout life (and your heart)

xxx

huskys are best for experienced owners unless you are willing to put time effort in

many people forget to chastize huskys the just leave them as indipendent

which is wrong they dont need to be hit

they dont need to be shouted at

they need someone to lead them they are like any other dog when done bad should not be nutured for been bad when done good you as a leader should give affeciton

if you wanna leave the house take your husky on a long walk give a feed and leave do not give effection when you get back if they are excited to see you because you will be nutureing the excitment levels many people do forget huskys are very inteligent and you nutre they exitment when you leave the house the dog knows it's ok for it excelate which turns to anxiety

so you must for fill your dogs needs which is

exercise - walk

discipline- correct the dog if jump up at you ignore if excited

affection - affect if husky is calm submisve

remember all these they all make a hell of a difference