Flat living

For those who have huskies n live in a flat what do you do if your dog needs the toilet during the night? Do u get up n take them out or do you have an area on a balcony you can let them go toilet on at night rather then walk down a few flights of stairs every time? If you do have an area they can go do you have anything down for them to toilet on to help make cleaning up after them easier? Thanks

When I first moved out of my parents, I was in a flat/split level maisonette.   My neighbour had a dog and they used to let him out on the balcony overnight.  we lived on the second floor and they had young kids so it would have been pretty awkward in their case to take him downstairs overnight. Also wasn't exactly the best area in the neighbourhood, so safety factors came into it too. 

Edited by Emma

I live in Wales and I have a flat, my routine is  take dogs for a walk at about 11ish what I call a round the block walk just a loop in a circle (I hate straight line walks, where you go up one side of the road and down the other).  Morning we get a quick walk up a down outside as a leg stretcher to hold them over, back home for a couple cups of coffee then a real walk up the hill at about 6:30ish for about an hour. Another good walk for about an hour from 5:30 ish to 6:30ish pm. Cook dinner take for quicky out the door at about  9ish pm

Occasionally they will get a weirdo walk I pack a rucksack with flask sandwich etc and drag them out in the early hours so we can get some where interesting to watch the sun come up, or a late night 2 3am morning walk

Edited by PaulG

I know of a few people with dogs and flats some let them out onto the balcony some take them for a walk, i know if i lived in a flat id have to take mine out as they will not go to the toilet on a balcony i know this from camp as the caravan i normally get has an enclosed balcony and they wont go to the toilet on it, my two are funny and see it as indoors lol

Yeah I'm one of the suckers that just gets up and walks up and down a flight of stairs any night they need to go.

Although to be honest, now a year old each, they can hold it just fine.  Dinner is at 5 or 6 in the evening, last call for water is at 7 or 8 and then at around 9 or 10 they get their last walk before bed.  They are pretty prompt at waking up at 5 am every single morning with potty zoomies unless they had a big hike or day care the day before.

These times are built into my life now, I don't even need clocks.  I couldn't sleep continuous past 5 am if there were no huskies and I wanted to now.

• 3 weeks later...

I had Shadow in a flat for a weekend a month or two ago. She was completely fine. We took her out right before bed (it was three stories up) then as soon as we had breakfast we would take her out again in the morning. She was 100% fine and we had no issues with her at all.