First day home for the puppy

Husky Mad

Hi guy's.

We brought Saber home today, here is the little fella:

http://yfrog.com/5ui...85201001232042j

As we got home around 5:30pm and he had a feeding at 1:30/2pm we decided to feed him inside of his crate as soon as we got in. He walked into the crate after his food and water and finished them off. After allowing him to sniff around for a few minutes and leaving the door open i closed the crate door. He bang to whine and howl and eventually settled down and after 15/20 minutes i opened the door to take him potty. I put him on the leash, which he hated lol. He would not move with it. After a little persuasion we got him near the door and ended up picking him up and taking him to his spot in the Garden. We tried for about 15/20 minuets and he did not potty at all, so we took him inside back to his crate.

After a little sniffing around he walked into his crate and cuddled up with some toys and went to sleep all by himself. He did wake up just as i closed the door and began to whine and howl but i left him to it and eventually he calmed down and went to sleep. Here is a picture of his crate, we sectioned it off but i still think he has a little too much space, what do you guy's think?:

http://img30.imageshack.us/i/img00186201001232116.jpg/

He slept for about 2 hours and began to whine after a few moments. I left him to it and only went over to him when he stopped. Putting the leash on him (While ringing a bell and saying potty) i attempted potty for the second time. He was a bit better on the leash this time, but doesn't really follow me with it. After about 5 minutes in the garden he went for a pee and i held a few moments to see if he was going to do anything else, when he didnt, i praised him and gave him 3 pieces of cheese (He seemed to like this than the doggy biscuits/treats).

I decided to then bring him inside and let him roam around and play with him a little for about 30 minutes in our hall way (Where his crate is). He seemed a bit reserved while playing and i attempted a little come command with treat a few times and he didn't seem interested. He eventually went back into his crate, went to sleep and i closed the door.

I did want to feed him again as it had been about 3 hours since we fed him first but since he went to sleep i thought we should leave him to it.

I'm awake till late today (Me and my brother are going to take shifts because we are night owls lol)

How do you guys think we did? any recommendations/suggestions and what do you guys think of the sectioning off in the crate?

Many thanks

Tom

Sounds like you're doing very well!

Keep to a similar routine if you can, that's how they learn, not going to him when he cries is good - that way he will learn he doesnt get attention from making a racket lol

Thanks Sarah,

lol a lot has gone on in the last hour, he woke up so i took him outside to potty. After about 15 mins he still had not done anything. So i took him inside to feed and he ate. After he had finished eating i thought since the breeder had paper trained him i would put a mat down. After about 5 mins wondering around he poo'd on the mat. I then picked the mat and him up and took him to the spot in the garden we want him to go.

I then bought him inside and thought i would let him play for a while in the living room and after about 10 mins he poo'd in the living room before i could get to him and stop him. I picked him up and took him into the garden and had my brother clean it up before i brought him back in. We played with him for a while in the hall way and he crept into his crate and now has gone to sleep.

What do you think i did wrong? or was it just part of the process? lol

Wow Tom, sounds like you got this puppy stuff down pretty good. I think you are doing great so far. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Mazz,

I really have to thank you guys on the forum here. I spent a lot of time reading the posts and discussions over the last year or so. I noted down what people suggested and am putting it into practice as they say.

It's been a great day, we can't wait till tomorrow when we can wake up early and get him into a routine with a full day.

Thanks

Tom

Hey guys,

His second day home went great, we kept him on a routine of feeding him 4 times a day every 3/4 hours. We keep him in the crate untill he wakes up wanting to potty which is pretty much every hour. He's taken right to the garden and once he potty's (Which he does almost instantly now as soon as he's in the garden) He's patted and praised and then even runs to the door to be back let in by himself lol. We give him 5/10 mins of playtime before putting him back in the crate when he falls asleep for another hour or and then we do it all over again lol.

We give him a full two hours playtime around 5pm, once's he's woken up, pottied, ate and pottied again and then it's back to the crate for him.

On the first night his howled/cried the house down lol. But pretty much everyone was giving in and kept coming to calm him down. So last night i gave him his last potty with no playtime after about 11pm. He woke up about 12am howling and crying but we decided to leave him and not go see him. He eventually stopped at 1am and went to sleep. He then started again at 3am, that's when i went to give him a potty break and back to the crate with no play, do you think it was ok leaving him for that long especially letting him howl for an hour or so and then going to him 2 hours after that?. After that my mum gets up at 5am for work and she pottied him and he went back to sleep till 7am when i give him his first meal of the day.

How do you think it's going? any pointers or adjustments anyone would like to recommend?

He also sometimes doesn't want to play and just wants to sit next to me and snuggle up and sleep. Is this normal?

Also tonight i'm going to ignore his howls and etc, should i do what i did last night or see if he can make it through till 5am?

Hey guys,

His second day home went great, we kept him on a routine of feeding him 4 times a day every 3/4 hours. We keep him in the crate untill he wakes up wanting to potty which is pretty much every hour. He's taken right to the garden and once he potty's (Which he does almost instantly now as soon as he's in the garden) He's patted and praised and then even runs to the door to be back let in by himself lol. We give him 5/10 mins of playtime before putting him back in the crate when he falls asleep for another hour or and then we do it all over again lol.

We give him a full two hours playtime around 5pm, once's he's woken up, pottied, ate and pottied again and then it's back to the crate for him.

On the first night his howled/cried the house down lol. But pretty much everyone was giving in and kept coming to calm him down. So last night i gave him his last potty with no playtime after about 11pm. He woke up about 12am howling and crying but we decided to leave him and not go see him. He eventually stopped at 1am and went to sleep. He then started again at 3am, that's when i went to give him a potty break and back to the crate with no play, do you think it was ok leaving him for that long especially letting him howl for an hour or so and then going to him 2 hours after that?. After that my mum gets up at 5am for work and she pottied him and he went back to sleep till 7am when i give him his first meal of the day.

How do you think it's going? any pointers or adjustments anyone would like to recommend?

He also sometimes doesn't want to play and just wants to sit next to me and snuggle up and sleep. Is this normal?

Also tonight i'm going to ignore his howls and etc, should i do what i did last night or see if he can make it through till 5am?

Well I think it's going great! You seem to have a very good handle on the routine and it seems to be working very well.

Play and sleep? I'd say if he does not always want to play and just sit close by and sleep, that seems fairly normal.

Howling in the crate? When Zoya was a pup, we'd take her out for the last time about 11 pm, then put her in the crate. She'd howl for a few minutes, then go to sleep. Sometime between 1 and 2 in the morning, I'd have to take her out, then again between 3 and 4. It went on this way fairly regularly until she was about 4 or 5 months old. Puppies simply cannot hold their urine much more than 1 to 2 hours for the first few months. A rough rule of thumb is 1 hour of bladder retention for each month of age. Hope that helps. But it sounds like you are doing excellent. Good job.

Tom, it sounds like you've really done your research & it's paying off for you! You're doing a great job, he'll have it all off to a "T" in no time! Huskies are such quick learners, especially if there is routine, they'll know quickly what is expected of them. Well done & keep up the good work! :D

Oh, BTW, the crate seems to be the right size if he's quite happy to walk in on his own & curl up & sleep, sounds like he's made it his little den, no problem. The only other thing that may help (not that you sound like you need it!) it, cover the top with an old blanket or rug, make it more enclosed for him, but use something you don't mind being chewed, as it will be!! :lol:

Hey,

thank's guys. I've just been following what members and etc have said/posted on this forum right here and applying it. He's been very well behaved today but he's been nipping a lot since yesterday and pretty much wants to chew on everything (Even our clothes lol). I guess he must be teething right?, he's 8 weeks on Friday.

Any tips on how i can control his nipping and biting or direct it to his toys?, He's also been a picky eater when it comes to treats lol. I've tried some Turkey biscuit treats and even dried lung and he doesn't like them. But he loves ham, is this ok to give him?.

Also had the runs for the last day and a half but i noticed it seemed to start when he realized there is grass and leaves to eat in the garden lol. Or it could be when i up his meals from 3 a day to 4.

I have a bunch of pictures that i will post up soon.

Thanks a lot

Tom

Sounds like you are doing a great job Tom biggrin.gif

When my 3 started to nip and bite during play or when I was giving the affection I would stop what I was doing and ignore them and let them calm down which worked for me. However ignoring can also make the situation worse, I would try making a sound similar to a puppy would when their littermates bite too hard and then stop playing.

Edit: Ham is ok to use as treats, I use it quite often and if it drives them to learn and doesnt leave unwanted results at the other end then I cant see why it would be a problem :)

sounds like everything is going pretty good. how old is btw? i got mine at 2 months but he was already 20 pounds. --- and is the crate in your bedroom? also with the potty --- my dog trainer made me (when we started) taking him out say go pee or go poo when we took him out. we'd just stand somewhere and say "go pee" or "go poo" over and over again. you get some weird looks but whatever. and then when he went we would say "good go pee" or "good go poo" and pat him on the head. -- he's 6 months now and goes on command so it's nicer than waiting