Would you change it?

So...I have to ask...

If your dog was protecting your home naturally and never harmed anyone,

Would you stop your dog from protecting your home?

Chewy barks at strangers and I really think he has decided that protecting the

house is his job.

To me this means he feels loved and well cared for so hes just doing what

a great dog does to show he appreciates the love he gets and wants to return

the love.

I dont really like that Im having to stop him from doing it, but apparently dogs who

bark are now considered a threat to people everywhere...

Heya Vuk, just syk, chewy is half malamute, and I think this may be why he guards (not sure but will research).

Sorry my mistake! Oh, that maybe explain a lot as chewys behaviour! My friends malamutes are always announcing if some one is coming toward the house. They like to howl and bark but are actually harmless like teddys. :)

Mickey barks and howls a lot if he hears anything. And if it's a person Cheyenne will join in. They may just be excited that someones outside... but that person doesn't know it! If they're let in, its a big fight of who gets to lick the newbie first :rolleyes:

I don't discourage it. I love to hear them make noise. And they're the best alarm system in the world!

When we moved off base Nanook use to bark at everyone and thing that pass by. Now he doesnt really do it anymore. I thought it was great because he would let you know someone is outside. I dont mind it either way. I got my huskies knowing that they are not guard dogs nor was i expecting to be either. They might lick some one or jump on someone to death other than that hey would treat an intruder with love.

Maybe the look alone and then dogs running up to him ( he wouldn't know it's friendly unless he knows the breed) would scare him away. So no i wouldn't change it at all.

To be honest I think it's the opposite, a dog who feels that they can step up and guard is doing so because they think the house is theirs to guard. I don't think it's a protective instinct but for most dogs is about feeling insecure and needing to tell other people to back off.

It's the same for me when people come to the house - I HATE when dogs rush up to greet them like it's their role to do so, I am the alpha and it's my place to greet people first not theirs.

Dogs barking shit me to tears and I can't stand it when my dogs go off, so I discourage it :) If I wanted them to "guard" I would teach them to bark on command so they did it when I asked them to.

Where I live dogs who bark continually are considered a nuisance and can be reported to the council.

I dont think that when i walk into someone else's house that i am Alpha over their dog just like if someone else walk in my house they aren't Alpha over my dog. Different of opinions on that so we can agree to disagree. No my pack does not run up to people when they first come in because as the Alpha i don't allow it to happen, however i just dont allow anyone (strangers) to just walk up to my pack as well.

This is really my pet P when i go into stores. NO ONE should ever just walk up to any dog. Who gives us the right to do so and if the dog react negatively ( snaps, growls, barks etc) are we to blame the dog? No! Even as humans we don't allow people in the streets we don't know to come to us unannounced and touch us right?!

If i allow people to come up and just touch my dogs and make my dogs feel that this behavior is ok then i doing everyone, dogs too, a disadvantage. Disadvantage to people because they will think this behavior is ok and will continue to do it to more dogs. It will be the wrong dogs especially dog like rottweillers ,who are very protective and territory when it homes to homes and family, and something awful could happen. Dont let it be a irresponsible owner (because unfortunately they do bring their dogs out in public) dog and we could be looking at an out right attack.

Now we add that dog to the static of aggressive dog because of any reason: A non owner reach out/approached unannounced, irresponsible owner, poor training etc. Yes we should train our dog that their first reaction shouldn't be to snap but we should also inform people that their first reactions should be to reach out, pet, etc with out permission. Remember they are still dogs regardless of how well we train them. They have natural instincts and senses too. You can call it insecure or whatever but we should remember their instincts as well as respect it.

Some people don't like the bark of any dog and that is fine because it is an individual preference. So it depends on the individual if you want to discourage, encourage, or nothing at all.

Grey barks and growls at the door i would not discourage it, there is no point in me teaching Grey to do it on command as i want him to do it when we are out and the home is empty, but to be fair when we are home and he starts he does stop when told to, think we were just lucky with Grey on that aspect.....

When we visited the kennel to first take a look at Zoya, they had half the kennel set up for Huskies and the other half set up for Mals. The Huskies did not bark, but woo-woo'd, while the Mals were barking. Don't know too much about Mals, but that's what I observed, for what it's worth.

Yeah, I think it may be because he's half Mal because no husky Ive ever had did this. He is getting better though.

This morning he started barking and when I stood up he looked at me and stopped. I dont think I will completely

discourage it but get him to stop on command even if he gets all playful and I have to chase him, lol.

I think what Bec said about the dog being uneasy about a situation and telling the person to back off is right, Nukka actually did this the other day...

our back garden just backs onto a passage to get to the various garden gates and hardly anyone uses them so when the windowcleaner came to next doors house the other day and she was in the garden she did a proper doggy bark "Oi who are you? what you doing? go away!" kind of thing, all her hackles up and everything! Personally since shes never done that before ever I found it hylarious and just laughed at her, told her stop being silly and come on in!

But then I tend to do that when shes frightend of anything I actually make a point of going over to it and showing her that its not scarey at all, recent points like that have been a particularly susspicious looking carrier bag and a really nasty looking snowman! That snowman was liotering with intent!!! LOL! biggrin.gif

Oh and by the way Erika the next time your neighbor runs out cursing at chewy just asking him why hes doing that and to think is that not EXACTLY what Chewys doing!? Hes heard somthing he doesnt like and hes going out there telling it to stop it!!!!

"Oh and by the way Erika the next time your neighbor runs out cursing at chewy just asking him why hes doing that and to think is that not EXACTLY what Chewys doing!? Hes heard somthing he doesnt like and hes going out there telling it to stop it!!!! " - Sarahandnukka

Yeah, ive just decided to ignore my neighbor. Im literally almost always outside with the dogs when they are out anyway. I just think

it would be interesting to hear his reaction to his own dog "molly" who spends 60% of the daytime hours barking because she's lonely

and wants to come play with us or get someone else to come play with her, lol. The night before last when he came out cursing I was

out there sitting down smoking, so I stood up, turned around, and looked him dead in the eye, he hasnt been out since, hahahahaha.

In a way I do agree with Bec and as always her add-ins are on target, the only reason Im not going to make too big a deal accept late at

night or early in the morning with chewy is that Im actually ok with the fact that hes uneasy or afraid of strangers and is alert to strangers.

When its friends I never let him greet them first and I quiet him quick and make him relax (its taken some work on this part but hes much

better) but for strangers I see no reason to make him fully stop as if he backs off when I tell him it will be fine, but in all honesty we all know

that at any time we can end up at the mercy of strangers and we never know when it will be a good thing for there to be a really big, smart,

and protective dog between us and said stranger. I have spent a little over half my marriage on my own with 2 small children, and Im prob in

for another year or two before deployments end, so (as deplorable or maybe aweful as this will prob sound), I feel safer that he is not ok

with just anyone getting close to the house because there is always a possibility that someday his barking (insecurity of strangers) could

give me that few extra seconds to leap up, grab my phone and get to my children before someone else does. I didnt get him for protection,

but since he does it naturally I see no reason to undo it completely....although I think I will train him to a "safe word" so if I say that word

he will relax.