Who Can I Complain Too?

leelibrian

she's been to a vet they say she seems in great help and that sh eobviously just has some behaviour problems :/ shes been muzzled but will still attack another dog 

she's fine with hand feeding she's not that bothered really if she's in her crate she growls if another dog even walks past and if she's in a seperate room she decides its 'her' room and guards it. she just seems to guard everything, toys, food, rooms, chairs, she even once guarded a small stone on the floor.

she seems to be able to see perfectly okay from what i can tell!

ive tried swapping dogs between rooms with a babygate to get them to feel comfortable around eachother, tried feeding them next to eachother and also crated her but all she does is growl non stop. she's been muzzled and put on a lead in the house but when  shes in guarding mode we can barely even drag her away from the object.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would consider contacting a rescue to search for help in dealing with the issues. They have so many contacts and often those individuals will help once they learn of the situation. Most rescues are staffed by volunteers who are willing to expend much of their time helping this breed. Search for a breed specific rescue. If you want, pm me your number. I do have friends in the UK who are also in rescue and may, depending upon your location, be able to help find help for you and for Halie.

The important thing is to remember you don't know Halie's background and a month into a new home, she is beginning to settle in and find her place in the pack. She's setting rules and limitations for the others. Establishing order, so to speak.

I have a four year old and adopted a second almost two years ago. Recently, very recently, the new husky has decided that she is no longer happy being the low girl on the totem pole and choses opportunities to challenge the older girl. This is two years into our home.  Those days are few and far between, but some days I just want to cover my head and cry.

When you took her to the vet, what was her reaction? Did you take her alone, or with the pack? If alone, did she appear to have the same issues?

Edited by Austinville

I would block the previous owners number in your phone then they can't keep texting you and annoying you.  If you're wound up about that then Harlie will pick upon it and be on edge which will make progressing a lot harder for you both.

A behaviourist would be the best option, having someone who can support you through it would give you a great confidence boost :)

Does it really matter she isn't a full pedigree? Your dogs will pick up on your frustrations. Stop texting these people back. Also don't agree with you calling her murderous. You say she's doing great yet you've written a list of all the problems she has? Confused. A lot of the things she's doing wrong could be prevented by you changing the way you react to what she does. So you've taken on a dog that has issues, that's always a risk, you can never trust what a seller tells you. Did you not try your dogs with her before you got her? You need to just calm down, pay these people off and get help. She's your responsibility now it's too late to worry about what the breeders did or didn't tell you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its matters when I paid a lot of money for her.

I think she could kill a dog so yeah I'm sticking with what I said.

Ive not come onto this site for people to judge small things I say. There's a bigger picture and I don't need people on my back about small things when I'm talking about the bigger picture!!!!!

I have been reading this thread throughout the day and have avoided saying anything because this thread is turning into a very contentious issue as many of us, Huskies or not are dog lovers and there's a risk that anything I add will just add fuel to an already smouldering fire, but I feel I have to say this, although it has already been said in many many different ways I many different posts....the post important thing here is Harlie, and Harlie's place i fear is not with you, whilst you are struggling to rehome her or decide upon the best thing to do for her your relationship with her is deteriorating at quite a speedy rate and whilst you may not accept that, using words like "murderous" and actually believing her ability to be that only compounds the fact.

Yes Harlie has some behaviour issues, and I suspect (in fact I know) that in your frustration you shout at her, and this will not help. It will only make her more afraid (because actually that's most likely what all this is about) and feel the need to protect (or guard?) the things she sees as her own because in her mind, there's no one on her side...as silly as that might sound. It's a vicious circle that I wonder if you have the patience to break? Dogs guard the things they see as being the most important things in their lives, we have it with Skye continually with either a specific toy or me, but we work on altering and controlling her behaviour all the time. Every day must be a training day, training never really stops and training is one of the biggest responsibilities of good dog ownership.

My honest view is that Harlie needs owners who can spend the time giving her the opportunity to develop and change her behaviour, if I could take her I would, but I just don't have the space or the time she would need from me.

The forum members are not judging you, they are giving their advice because one or other of us has experienced the exact same things as you are now and we want to help.....it's not just Harlie's behaviour that needs to change, it's yours, your boyfriends and that of the other pack members.

how dare you even suggest i shout at my dogs?! i do not and how do you think you can say that i do? i started this thread to ask about if i could somehow complain about the previous owners and all ive had is people saying about how i shouldnt use the word 'murderous' no one else can see what she is like and can not comment on the fact if she can or can not kill a dog. you have no right to say about wether or not harlie should stay with us. we are trying our best for her and i cant have people on my back about little comments.

I think the help the OP wants is who can a complaint be aired to about the people they bought the dog off.....am i right in that assumption Kizzy? 

If so maybe try the Citizens Advice http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/ 

fine with me.

ouch - that's a bit uncalled for - people are only trying to help - it's clear you love her and things with the previous owners are getting to you - hopefully the CAB will have some options available to you.

I hope they have some answers for you - I don't think you will get very far though but it's always worth finding out what your options are.  Make sure to keep paperwork, text messages etc as well in case you ever need them.

Emm interesting thread.  Lucky and Howler are Mals with a touch of Husky.   They were showing aggression towards each other on walks and meeting people, so we split them up, i have Bella and Lucky and Mark has Noah and Howler.  We now have time to correct them. 

They occasionally will have food aggression and have a all teeth barred fight.  very short lived as I just won't have it. Enough and stop it and I just put my self between them and make them sit and  wait.  Easy for me I have had them since pups so I have a trust with them.  Kizzy clearly you love all your woofs, and you are understandably very angry with the people you brought her from, But as you say pay em, block em and forget they were ever part of Harlie's life.  

Back to basics I am afraid, build trust, build confidence, build the love.  There is a beautiful woof in there and you have to be the one to find her.   I belong to a face book group malamute matters.  Please delete this if not part of forum rules.  These people know the breed inside out and may be able to help you. 

I hope it all works out.  X  May be make a diary of what you have done, training etc what has happened and how it is progressing, it may help others in the same situation.  with everything a few steps forward a few steps back but as long as you keep going and are determined it will work out. 

Ive kept all the texts. I'm just worried about them selling puppies tbh, they told me they thought food agression was normal for dogs and it worries me about what they might say to new owners of huskies. Thanks, we'll see what happens with CAB.

I don't have fb but I might steal my dads to have a look at that because it sounds really good, thankyou! That diary idea sounds really good actually. I will start that tomorrow morning. Thankyou, I'm just so angry at these owners and I wish they would take responsibility and at least admit that harlie had some problems. Shes currently laid on my lap and she's lovely and hopefully this behaviourist I'm counting will be able to help her x

Be prepared for the behaviourist they will look at you and what you are doing, then make a programme for you, and you will not like it.  Trust me I have had big dogs all my life and being told if I wanted a lap dog I should of got one.  LOL. Yup I baby my dogs you'd think I had 4 tiny woofs.  But, i could so see her point.  Being firm and being consistent and showing my kissy woosims at the appropriate time has really helped my shoulder displacement when walking them.  My Body language has changed, upright, relaxed in control no  nonsenses demeanor has regained a healthy relationship with my woofs.  To see Noah and Bella before the behaviourist and after  would make a good tv show.  At 6 months we are still not out of the woods with Howler and Lucky but I have faith.  

I swore I would never have another Husky a year and a half ago now I would not be with out him.  he is my best behaved dog.  Well apart from wanting to kiss every one he meets.  Not mastered the first date rules yet.  :D

i do cuddle the dogs a lot and mother them all the time so i know thats a problem :/ it will be nice to see her and how she changes (and us) when the behaviourist does come along.

i know what you mean leeli always licks everyone lmao!

uh oh previous owners are telling me they will be coming to see harlie sometime. dont know what to do with these people anymore.

There is a facebook group something like Bad Breeder Reviews that may be a good opportunity to put up a public notice about buying from them. Until people stop buying, they probably wont stop breeding.

that sounds quite good, i'll check it out via my dads fb, thankyou

You Have made your decision Harlie is yours here is your money now Polite version go away.   Kizzy.  These people have no right to come to come to your house unless this was part of your signed contract with you.  Draw a line. Harlie is yours you will succeed and they are not part of Harlies or your world or future anymore.  Forward thinking now.  Diary entry:

Today me and Our woofs start a new Day: Of for a quick walk round the block. Fed them, had a shower. Got there treats made them all sit. fed them one.  Turned my back. Aggressive behaviour turned round firm voice enough sit.  Get that focus on you.  May not seem fair to the others but they all need to know you are in control.. If it helps, and it did me think of your self as a school teacher with 30 under five year olds and ofsted doing an audit.. X 

i dont want them to come, and they seem to have invited themselves. they dont know where i live but they know where my parents live which is a slight concern.

i'll just tell them were not avilable until all the money is paid and then block there number...

that sounds quite good, brian growls sometimes as well and my fiance doesnt always teell him off.. 

it will be good to be able to look back at things we did and what were doing wrong ect. thank you very much x