Godaddy Superbowl Commercial

Jay

So, in the U.S., the biggest Television event is the Superbowl, which is this Sunday.  Businesses spend millions just for a 30 second advertisement, so for some of us, it is more about watching the commericals than the game.

An internet company, GoDaddy, released their ad for this year doing a parody of Budwiser's 2014 commerical featuring a puppy.  This angered a lot of people saying it promotes puppy mills, so they pulled it.

My question...do you guys feel the same way?  Honestly, I am on the fence here and wasn't outraged about it.  Sure, it might have been kind of in bad taste, but it was a parody and not meant to promote puppy mills...

http://youtu.be/eH5wdm1Caoo

I find it kind of funny but can see it's best not to use this as a commercial in a world that's already very sensitive about everything. Essentially Go Daddy is saying you can make websites with them to sell dogs on. They don't MEAN it that specifically that way but that's what the ad says. It's not doing a good job at selling themselves.

On a different note, guess who's on the total opposite of the spectrum?

PETA director Colleen O'Brien weighed in on the controversy with a statement to Adweek: "Go Daddy's now-yanked commercial showed that anyone who sells a dog online is a callous jerk. PETA liked that about the ad. The sale of animals online and from pet stores and breeders should be roundly condemned, and it was today. GoDaddy did the right thing by swiftly promoting adoption. PETA's message is that when you buy a dog from a pet store or a breeder, a dog in an animal shelter dies."

Somehow, they always manage to surprise me in ways I was never expecting  :rolleyes:

Oh PETA :shrug:

Anyway, about the ad. If I found this video in, say, Cyanide & Happiness, I would probably chuckle and click "like". But as a Superbowl ad from a listing company, the dark humor sense went out the window right away. Things deliver different meanings coming from different people. When you hear your best friend say: "me and THIS army!" you'd probably expect a wardrobe-full of green soldier figurines from Toy Story standing behind him and just laugh it off. When the same statement comes from the president of a real country, you probably wouldn't laugh. In conclusion, people can't hide behind the "it's just a joke" statement all the time. We need to keep in mind that jokes are fluid in meaning. I'm happy to hear this ad was yanked off the shelf.

Edited by mydiamond

I am surprised Peta had that reaction, actually.  They are usually go a little overboard imho.

I agree that with how sensitive a lot of people are them taking the commerical off the air...on the radio this morning they were discussing it and most did not have a problem with it.

I don't like that ad at all. Of course I understand the humour aspect, it just I don't find it funny at all.

I just saw this Budweiser Super Bowl ad and I really like it.

Edited by Jase

I'm not sure how to feel about it. In the beginning, where the puppy was thrown off the truck and then was left in the rain (and etc), I felt heartbroken and thought the commercial was going to promote responsible dog ownership as well as their product. But then, at the end when the puppy came back, and the lady said: "Oh good, you came back. Now I can sell you on GoDaddy," kinda threw me for a loop. I wasn't expecting that, and whatever heartfelt moment I had a few seconds before had vanished. Now, I'm just confused...

I find it kind of funny but can see it's best not to use this as a commercial in a world that's already very sensitive about everything. Essentially Go Daddy is saying you can make websites with them to sell dogs on. They don't MEAN it that specifically that way but that's what the ad says. It's not doing a good job at selling themselves.

On a different note, guess who's on the total opposite of the spectrum?

PETA director Colleen O'Brien weighed in on the controversy with a statement to Adweek: "Go Daddy's now-yanked commercial showed that anyone who sells a dog online is a callous jerk. PETA liked that about the ad. The sale of animals online and from pet stores and breeders should be roundly condemned, and it was today. GoDaddy did the right thing by swiftly promoting adoption. PETA's message is that when you buy a dog from a pet store or a breeder, a dog in an animal shelter dies."

Somehow, they always manage to surprise me in ways I was never expecting  :rolleyes:

Oh, PETA.  :rolleyes: 

Oh PETA :shrug:

Anyway, about the ad. If I found this video in, say, Cyanide & Happiness, I would probably chuckle and click "like". But as a Superbowl ad from a listing company, the dark humor sense went out the window right away. Things deliver different meanings coming from different people. When you hear your best friend say: "me and THIS army!" you'd probably expect a wardrobe-full of green soldier figurines from Toy Story standing behind him and just laugh it off. When the same statement comes from the president of a real country, you probably wouldn't laugh. In conclusion, people can't hide behind the "it's just a joke" statement all the time. We need to keep in mind that jokes are fluid in meaning. I'm happy to hear this ad was yanked off the shelf.

I agree! Also, I like Cyanide & Happiness also...I've been reading their online comic for years! Did you know they just finished their first season on youtube? They've come a long way.

I'm not sure how to feel about it. In the beginning, where the puppy was thrown off the truck and then was left in the rain (and etc), I felt heartbroken and thought the commercial was going to promote responsible dog ownership as well as their product. But then, at the end when the puppy came back, and the lady said: "Oh good, you came back. Now I can sell you on GoDaddy," kinda threw me for a loop. I wasn't expecting that, and whatever heartfelt moment I had a few seconds before had vanished. Now, I'm just confused...

Oh, PETA.  :rolleyes: 

I agree! Also, I like Cyanide & Happiness also...I've been reading their online comic for years! Did you know they just finished their first season on youtube? They've come a long way.

I don't usually watch their videos, just the comics :P somehow I find that animation kills the joke.

It's funny that this was brought up here as I was just scrolling through Facebook last night and people were posting both all over my feed. I watched them both and to be honest, I hated the GoDaddy commercial. That felt like bad taste to me as the idea of breeders I have in my mind would be crying their eyes out if they lost one of their puppies. But maybe that's just me...

The Budweiser commercial however, got me teary-eyed just like last year's. I'm a sucker for a happy ending.  :redface1: