Husky Shedding Top Coat?

Anyone else's husky seem to be shedding their top coat? I have a black and white husky. He's beautiful but lately his coat looks terrible. He has retained his top coat in a stripe along his back, but his sides look to be nothing but undercoat. We used to feed him Wellness Core but switched to Pure Balance due to cost (both grain free). I'm thinking it could either be a weather thing (fall is approaching and we live in a warm climate) or a food issue. Anyone have suggestions? I'd like to avoid switching back to the Wellness if possible because it is $66 for a 20 lb bag, but I will if all else fails.

I've tried to add photos but im getting a message that im not allowed? He is 7 months old. We have a shedding comb for the undercoat with a shedding blade on the other side. Also have a soft and hard bristle brush. I use all of them. He's otherwise his usual happy, and naughty, self. I just want to make sure he's getting the nutrition he needs.

I won't say an undercoat rake is "better", but I do think they're a little more efficient. Mine has bent bristles so they could grab more dead hair. But it's just some brand-less product I found on my local pet store. Are you in the UK? Mikki Anti-Tangle is a popular brand with a lot of positive reviews from our people here.

Welcome to the forum!

As he is 7 months the coat change could be due to him maturing. 

Poor coat condition is almost always dictated by the diet, but the blade on your rake could also be cutting guard hairs. 

My advice is go back to the food he did best on, adding a teaspoon of pure virgin coconut oil or some fish oil to the food will greatly improve coat condition. 

:hello:   Cute puppy..   Noah does not like being brushed much... But loves me running my fingers through his hair and ruffling him.  So I don't often use a brush unless he is really shedding.. Both of mine look like strays when their moulting.  No matter how much they are brushed, smoothed. Etc.  But I think he is shedding his puppy fur too and will soon have his mature coat..    This was the age when Noah went from being quite light in colouring to distinct grey, white black.  and a little bit of apricot.  

We have a ferminator and the bristle and round metal head brush that is in you photo.  Oh and a comb to comb the hair out of the brush...

• 6 years later...

I have not heard of a husky shedding top coat   -  there are conditions that cause the top coat to fall out  - followed by the undercoat.  If it continues I would suggest a trip to the vet  for blood tests.      Dietary issues can also cause the coat to become poor.

Normally huskies shed the undercoat - but the top coat remains   -  both mine are around 5 now   -  neither have shed the top coat.    If I am wrong about this someone will soon jump on me to correct me