Should my husky be caged?

Alex T

Ive been reading through and it appears that many of you guys/ gals on here appear to cage your husky/s when your out and at night. So far weve had our pup for 3 weeks and not even considered caging her.

When we are out during the day - she getspt in the kitchen with our GSD and a stair gate across the door, and all they appear to do is sleep, theres no mess, no sig of chaos when we get back!

During the night she sleeps in our bedroom (not on the bed) with our GSD and again theres a stair gate across the doorwa so that we can here if the kids are up and about during the night. Again there is no hewingor anything like that!

So why do you cage your husky/s? Was it becuase you were advised to by the breeder or is it for some other reason?

hmmmm, wait till she's older lol i think most people do cage them, depending on where they can keep them when they're out at work.

Kimba loves his cage, all i have to do is BED and he's off if you do get a cage, one thing you should NEVER do it use it as a training tool. If they associate with being put in it when they've done something bad then they will not want to go in there to sleep and will avoid it at all costs.

I've found kimba in his quite a few times as i always leave the door open, he either sleeps in front of fire or in there even when i'm in, it's like a security place for him

We don't cage Lex we have a dog flap on the back door so he can come and go as he pleases he spends most of his time outside as it is too hot in the house for him! He comes in every so often to see if we are still alive then trots off again to lie in the back garden! He has only destroyed the back garden when we go out he has never done anything wrong in the house and over night he stays outside all night he can come in don't get me wrong we don't lock him out lol he chooses to stay outside!

Technically - it's not 'caging' them it is crating them.

There are lots of reasons why people crate train. I have crate trained my beagle because she likes having her own space. Her crate is like her own room, where she goes to eat, sleep and rest. She NEVER goes in the crate as part of a punishment, she only goes in for positive reasons - it is important that a dog associates their crate with positive and fun things. I feed her raw bones in her crate and she is lost without it.

Benefits include being able to contain the dog if need be - if you have friends over for a party (so the dog is safe), if you have workmen/visitors over and you want to keep the dog out of the way, if they ever injure themselves and need to be kept quiet, if you ever travel or go away etc.

However - some people use a crate to put their dog in all day. This is not, IMO, what crates are for and I would never crate a dog for more than a few hours without a break. My beagle chooses to be in her crate for hours at a time, even when the door is open. However, dogs need space, exercise, stimulation and importantly access to water and space to toilet at all times. This is why I do not agree with crates being used to keep dogs in all day.

Not everyone will be interested in crating but I find it a great tool to have - recently I took my Sibe to a two-day training seminar and I needed to crate him when I had him on the training ground. The crate made it SO much easier for me to have him there! He had his own space where he could lie down or sit away from other dogs/strange people and just chill out. I am a total crate convert, I will do it with any dog I have in the future :)

I used the crate when I first got my girl because she renovated my laundry, but only when I was out. my guys now have there own huge kennels down the back yard that leads into there 20m x 20 m run that they get let into twice day as well as walked.

Cintaa gets "crated" at dogs shows and loves it. Infact I barely get the door open before she wants to go in. I am also dead against having them in a crate all day as they love to be free moving , and area much happier dog if they can have human contact and room to move.

Leesa

Technically - it's not 'caging' them it is crating them.

There are lots of reasons why people crate train. I have crate trained my beagle because she likes having her own space. Her crate is like her own room, where she goes to eat, sleep and rest. She NEVER goes in the crate as part of a punishment, she only goes in for positive reasons - it is important that a dog associates their crate with positive and fun things. I feed her raw bones in her crate and she is lost without it.

Benefits include being able to contain the dog if need be - if you have friends over for a party (so the dog is safe), if you have workmen/visitors over and you want to keep the dog out of the way, if they ever injure themselves and need to be kept quiet, if you ever travel or go away etc.

However - some people use a crate to put their dog in all day. This is not, IMO, what crates are for and I would never crate a dog for more than a few hours without a break. My beagle chooses to be in her crate for hours at a time, even when the door is open. However, dogs need space, exercise, stimulation and importantly access to water and space to toilet at all times. This is why I do not agree with crates being used to keep dogs in all day.

Not everyone will be interested in crating but I find it a great tool to have - recently I took my Sibe to a two-day training seminar and I needed to crate him when I had him on the training ground. The crate made it SO much easier for me to have him there! He had his own space where he could lie down or sit away from other dogs/strange people and just chill out. I am a total crate convert, I will do it with any dog I have in the future :)

Rep given for a great reply I could not of put it better myself :)

i use crates for my two as it gives them their own space, with 4 kids in the house as well, they need their own area of peace and quiet, at 9 pm both dogs will get in their crate for bed time, the crates r in our bedroom, so they r still close to us, when i have to go out, with out them during the day i use basket muzzles and they have the run of the house, why do i use muzzles, because they r like giant hoovers and with 4 kids it is impossable to make sure their isnt anything they wont eat lol plus they r teething and as we rent the house an eaten kitchen wouldnt go down to well

if you're going to do it I owuld do it sooner rather than later- you can get some good prices on ebay - i got both mine from there they were about 38 including delivery, big ones as well - compared to say pets at home, about 60 cheaper!!

When we got Gizmo, his breeder kept all the puppies in a large crate and she did advise to crate Gizmo to help prevent any destruction in the house when we were not there, which was why we crate all of them.

My 3 only go into their crates when we go to bed or if they are going to be on their own for a few hours (i.e. If we all went out for an evening or out for the day), if we are only going to be away for an hour or less then they are usually ok. We did used to only crate them during night times but then one day we was away for alot longer than we planned and when we got back, the kitchen lino was destroyed! So, now we crate them if we are going out longer than an hour.