Electric Collar

Sherrie_x

Sorry everyone but just had to vent about how angry i am. I have a youtube page for vids of my dogs etc and i commented on a video of a husky anyway to cut things sort i mentioned Niko & Chance stopped coming back when off lead around 9 months old. So some stupid woman has commented saying thats good so she knows what to expect and that she has an electric collar with a remote so that when hers doesnt come back shes going to shock it!!!! I am fuming and think this is disgusting and cruel. I told her to put one on herself and shock herself see how she likes it. I cant believe anyone would use something like that

I personally would never use one on my pups, but I know people that use them and they equate it to an electric fence. They claim that after the dog is trained on using the collar that they don't actually need to shock them anymore and that the threat of the shock using the tone feature is enough to get the dog to listen. I understand that it is a way to get the dog's attention back on you if it is focused on something else, but I agree, I think that it is cruel and the owners who do it should shock themselves first so that they know how it feels and they can judge if they want to put their dog in that much discomfort/pain. 

There are several members here who believe in the use of e-collars, so I hope this discussion would remain civil. However, I do recall that they either use the beep or vibrate feature to imitate clicker training. I'm not really sure the shock feature is created for that situation :huh:

This is one of the most hotly debated topics on the forum with members on here who strongly believe in either side.  Like already mentioned I too hope that this thread remains civil and respectful to the differing points of view. :)

Personally, I haven't had much experience with shock collars but would be unwilling to use them myself.  I'm sure they have their place somewhere in this world, most likely with professional trainers and used under strict guidance, but it's not something that I would feel comfortable with for my dogs.   Having read through many a debate from people more experienced than myself, it was my understanding that shock collars were designed as a tool to target specific learned behaviours rather than against something like a prey drive which is more of a natural instinct.       

I see them as a last resort, you know, use or put the dog down scenario. Know the breed behaviour, know your limitations and if the breed is not suitable to your commitment level then don't take that dog home.  Find a dog that you don’t need to electrocute to come back.

Hope that is not to harsh or patronising

Anyone who pees on an electric fence has got more fortitude than I have.  :)

Rio was trained with a e-collar, they are a good tool if used properly. There are different levels of settings for the collar and I have tried them all on myself, for Rio I had it on a middle setting which was enough to get his attention. I rarely use it now unless we go somewhere with deer or sheep and then I only need to use the bleep or vibrate. Don't get me wrong but I have seen other people using these collars badly and zapping there dogs for slightest thing which gives them a bad name

The shock collar (or e-collar) is a tool like any other, and when used properly can produce results quickly and effectively. However, in the hands of those who don't know what they're doing, the tool is gonna cause damage. I believe every tool has a place, so long as they're used properly. A person who wants to inflict pain will do so with whatever tool; be it an e-collar or even a head collar. The ban on them is the result of people who just don't know how the tool works and how it should work. I personally would want to see them only given by professional trainers who can help the owner every step of the way...that way no dog with the collar is put through unnecessary pain.

I have to agree that they can be utilized in a way that can be beneficial for training purposes, but I hate to think of what some people would constitute as "training". I still think that you should have to be exposed to the shock before you use it on the dog so that you know what type and how much pain you are inflicting on them. I for one would never use them on my girls, but I can see the merits of them.