Walks

Im the proud owner of a new husky pup, 11 weeks old right now. Weve been going on walks, probably about 1.5 mile once a day, with a few games of chase me while im running in between. :D Ive heard and read alot that walking a pup too much can stunt growth and cause hip and bone problems, i was wondering if what we are doing right now is too much for her. Theres probably only been 7 walks like this so far.

Thanks.

Im the proud owner of a new husky pup, 11 weeks old right now. Weve been going on walks, probably about 1.5 mile once a day, with a few games of chase me while im running in between. biggrin.gif Ive heard and read alot that walking a pup too much can stunt growth and cause hip and bone problems, i was wondering if what we are doing right now is too much for her. Theres probably only been 7 walks like this so far.

Thanks.

yeah you should keep the walks to about 15-30 min at this stage of your pups life. maybe even less. i walk my pups that are 16 week sold for about 30 min in the morning and 10 min at night. anything more then that i get worried about their growing joints.

Yep absolutely way too much - the general rule is five minutes of structured exercise per month of age. So a 12 week old (3 month old) pup should have no more than 15 minutes, and even then I would consider that a bit excessive.

I would be focusing on lots of loose leash walking training, and basic manners training, more so than any structured exercise.

Yep absolutely way too much - the general rule is five minutes of structured exercise per month of age. So a 12 week old (3 month old) pup should have no more than 15 minutes, and even then I would consider that a bit excessive.

I would be focusing on lots of loose leash walking training, and basic manners training, more so than any structured exercise.

Awesome, thanks alot guys. Glad i got a solid answer before it was too late. From now on, 15 minutes tops for her and i.

If you can get your puppy to do it, a good 10 minute game of fetch, is great exercise.

I used to do this with Chewy at 11 weeks since here in hawaii we cannot walk our

dogs outside our yard until 14 to 16 weeks, because of parvo and stuff.

Games of fetch and tug of war are really awesome at this age.

If you can get your puppy to do it, a good 10 minute game of fetch, is great exercise.

I used to do this with Chewy at 11 weeks since here in hawaii we cannot walk our

dogs outside our yard until 14 to 16 weeks, because of parvo and stuff.

Games of fetch and tug of war are really awesome at this age.

i was told tug of war with a dog under year old is not a good idea, because of its teeth not being fully grown.

any thoughts on this

Hi Tundra - kudos for finding out the correct info & not just plowing on regardless! Wish more owners would do the same for the sake of their pup :D

I agree with all that's been posted re exercise time, as for tug of war, if you are going to do it at all, wait till the pup is much older, but fetch is a great way to interact with your pup & start basic training ...

Good luck, let us know how things go - oh, yeah, PLEASE post a pic!! :lol:

IMO it's a bit of an old wives tail that tugging can cause dominance issues, I tug with one of my dogs all the time and it's a fun game that's instigated on my terms. She grabs it when I say so and releases it when I say so.

You do need to be careful playing tug of war with a puppy who is teething, if they catch their teeth on the tug and hurt themselves it can put them off for life.

IMO it's a bit of an old wives tail that tugging can cause dominance issues, I tug with one of my dogs all the time and it's a fun game that's instigated on my terms. She grabs it when I say so and releases it when I say so.

You do need to be careful playing tug of war with a puppy who is teething, if they catch their teeth on the tug and hurt themselves it can put them off for life.

spot on . ........ played tug with Mav since the day he was brought home ........ little pup = little effort, let them have it if they pull really hard and risk hurting themselves , when you have had enough of the game just simply take the rope/toy away this will negate the "alleged dominance issue" ......... then later on just leave it somewhere where they can find it if you want them to bring it to play , its actually a great exercise because you can train them not to put their little needle teefys on you in a play environment...kinda like mum and dad would have if they got too boisterous playing with them . ;)

what a pretty pupskie !!! :)