News - Tick Infestation!

Dave

Just been told about this so looked it up, please check yourselves and your pets after walks if you can everyone!

http://www.express.co.uk/news/health/474100/Invasion-of-the-TICKS-300-disease-spreading-bloodsuckers-found-in-1-square-metre-of-park

A scientist from Bristol University has discovered more than 300 ticks living in just one square metre of urban park land.

Richard Wall, Professor of Zoology had estimated as many as 20 ticks could be lurking in each square metre of British woodland but after sweeping one area he found 300 bloodsuckers.

Ticks are known for the spread of diseases in the UK but with warm weather, vets and doctors have warned Britain could be facing an epidemic as the number of ticks increase in the country.

Sarah Bignall Howse, a vet from Ashford in Kent was forced to give up her job after she contracted Lyme disease from an infected tick.

She warned that as numbers grow the threat of the spread of disease is a real problem.

It is thought that ferocious winter floods could be responsible for the increased number of the disease-carrying creatures around the country. Some scientists have claimed the mild, damp conditions have provided the perfect breeding ground for the blood-sucking parasites.

I can imagine how bad it is over there. You guys have had a very mild winter right? Good think with having such a frigid winter here is there have been no bugs as the temps are slowly rising

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Yuck! I hate ticks!

We have Chu on Revolution, but it only protects against american dog ticks. I am not sure what kind of infestation we will have here this year, but I suppose I should use a spot treatment during the summer months since she is spending so much time outside rolling in the grass.

Does anyone use a doubling up by adding a flea/tick spot treatment in addition to Revolution?

No tick and treatment drops are working as there used to it now grrrrr my guys have got them already never had a problem before now I'm using garlic in there food and a spray of white vinegar, vegetable oil and peppermint and lemon juice on there coats so far so good plus there flea and tick collars

There are good reports that a drop of Rose Geranium Oil (pure 100% essential oil) on the outside of the collar is excellent at repelling ticks. I am not sure what varieties you have in your neck of the woods but it might be worth considering. The other side of Australia has paralysis ticks which are seriously bad news and can be deadly. 

Most of the peeps on the East coast will always maintain that no repellant is 100% and you must check your dogs daily and thoroughly when in infested areas. I imagine this would be much easier on short haired dogs and very difficult with huskies.