Kaidan the "special" husky. c:

This is going to be a long introduction, so get ready.

054.jpg

My boyfriend and I live in California. About 4 months ago we rescued a 4 month old pitbull / german shepherd mix. We named her Eris. As much as we love her, my boyfriend has always had an affinity with primitive breeds. I could tell a part of him wished she was part Husky. We weren't planning on adopting another dog until Eris was much older, but we got a phonecall...

We got to know a lot of volunteers at the animal shelter after adopting Eris. Sure enough, the phone call was from one of them. "This woman is surrendering this beautiful husky! You have to meet him!" Before she actually surrendered him, she agreed to meet us in an isolated area to let Eris (our puppy) and the husky socialize. We also wanted to hear his story before making any decisions. Apparently he was first adopted by this man down in L.A. when he was two years old. He had no idea what his story was before that. The man was so busy with work that he left the Husky outside in a dog run 24 / 7. Bored and neglected, he sat there howling until two elderly people who lived next door offered to take him off the man's hands. They had three dogs and were happy to take in another. Unfortunately, the county they live in only allows them to have up to three dogs. He was relayed to their daughter, who we met up with. She has a younger female Jack Russel and a 10 year old male Great Dane. The Great Dane was NOT happy to have another male in the house, especially a Husky male. (Overly confident indeeeed.) As she finished up her story, I looked over to see him and Eris migrating together. Rolling around in piles of dirt. Prancing with each other. We decided to take him in.

As soon as he entered our house he fell over on the floor and rolled on his back with a big smile on his face. I'm used to having to SLOWLY break dogs into a new household, but he acted as if he'd been living with the three of us his whole life. There was no tension with Eris at all. The transition was smooth. It wasn't until we started training and examining him that we noticed something was a little strange. Every time we told him to sit, he'd do it VERRRYY slowly, and by the time his butt touched the ground he'd almost fall over because he was shaking his head in excitement. He tends to do this a lot. Everytime I get up from the couch, or move from one end of the house to the other, he gets so excited he knocks himself over. Not like he wants to be pet on the stomach or anything, just.. falling over. Like his equilibrium is messed up. He always has a huge smile. No matter what he's doing. He's a bit slow, and VERY cuddly for a husky. He's almost always on my lap. Whenever I tell him to "give me a paw!" or "handshake" he always does it very, VERY enthusiastically. Like he's giving you a high five.

066.jpg

He has a lot of health issues I plan on discussing in other threads.

After a couple vet trips we found out he had a type of virus--er something with his teeth, almost ALL of his enamel is gone.

He is also covered in dreds after being left in that dog run.

Hi and welcome to the pack!

Well done for taking him on :) He sounds so loving! and love the pic! :D

I'm sure after some good brushing his coat will come on and especially after he's bloan it - he will look like a new dog :D

Looking forward to seeing you around and getting to know you :)

Hi and welcome to the pack!

Well done for taking him on :) He sounds so loving! and love the pic! :D

I'm sure after some good brushing his coat will come on and especially after he's bloan it - he will look like a new dog :D

Looking forward to seeing you around and getting to know you :)

Thank you!

I actually had a question about that! When do they start to blow their coats? Spring?

My boyfriend knows most of this, but I'm excited to learn more.

I've been brushing him every day, but he acts as if he's never been brushed his entire life.

He's going to start getting fat after all of the treats I have to give him to get him to sit still. :c

Hiya, welcome to the pack :wave:

Kaidan sure is a cuddle-monster & made himself comfy on your bed in that pic!! Huskies are eager to please & enthusiastic if they think they're getting something for doing it, they're very clever! Shame about his coat & condition, but keep up with the grooming, give him oily food to help his fur & you'll soon see improvements!

Great to hear you've taken him in & are giving him what he needs & it's nice to hear Kaidan & Eris are already good playmates!

Keep the pictures coming & let us know how you get on with his progress, xxxx

hello!! its great to hear you've taken him in and given him a loving home!! he looks very contented in your picture!! smile.gif we have a 5 month old husky and we have found out so much about them in the small space of time we had him, theyre such interesting animals and wre still finding out more about him all the time!! will be good to hear how you get on with his progress!! your definitly on the right site to be finding everything out about him!! hope to hear from you soon! good luck take care x

Bless you and your boyfriend for taking Kaiden and giving him a furever home. It's stories like yours that reafirm my faith in humankind. He's such a good looking Husky. Since you've had him groomed, bet he's even better looking.