Search Changes

Marc

Hi Guys,

One of the things I picked up from Al Jones post is basically that the search facility on the forum is working terribly. Therefore I have spent some time this morning changing the way the search works completely in the background.

The things you should notice straight away are the following:

1. Speed of searching should be faster
  2. Accuracy of searching should be faster
  3. You can now search for 2 letter words and upward rather than 4
  4. You can now use wildcard searching so for example you typing sibe* will return anything with a match of siberian.

Hope this makes searching the forum a lot easier in the future :)

WARNING: This facility does have one caveat in that it indexes every 15 mins. However if you have to search for something within 15 mins of it being posted I would suggest its unlikely you can find the search button either lol

Excellent Marc!!!  Very Nicely done, and indeed, very quick!!

But never one to let well enough alone - could you make the default for the search "forums" rather than "this topic". I know it's easy enough to change, but I'll bet everyone will, at least once, type in their search, hit return and get nothing - - - like I just did.

Excellent Marc!!!  Very Nicely done, and indeed, very quick!!

But never one to let well enough alone - could you make the default for the search "forums" rather than "this topic". I know it's easy enough to change, but I'll bet everyone will, at least once, type in their search, hit return and get nothing - - - like I just did.

Far to built into IPB Im afraid, however this is quite correct. It searches based on what you are currently in. Therefore if you are in a members area it will search members, in forums or on main page will search forums and in a topic will indeed search the topic.