Bl***y Fireworks

Steve

I took my dogs out last night in the dark, together with a third that I'm looking after for a few weeks. On the park I let my X-collie off lead and all did a couple of laps. All of a sudden, a bunch of fireworks went off and Holly bolted for home. I always keep her on the lead for a few weeks around bonfire night as I know she is terrified of them, but one month early on a wet, cold and miserable night. Where is the sense in that?

She made it home safe enough, but if I let her off in the evenings now, I will definitely put a fluorescent coat on her so she can be seen.

This is so damned annoying.

eeek and it's night-time too! I'd get a heart attack :huskyfall:

in the other hand: fluorescent coat?  :o never heard or seen them before but I like that idea. Does the whole coat glow? Or only a small part of it does? Or maybe you can write "I'm Holly" on the coat and make the writing  the only one that glows?  :P  

I've always had a fluorescent coat for her in the winter months. Most of the other dog walkers I meet at night have the same, or alternatively collars that glow. The fluorescent coat is around £5 from our local pet store. Regarding any writing on it, there's not much point as, once she bolts (and it's the first time for nearly 12 months), there's no stopping her - she won't stop running until she hits the door step, and then waits the few minutes it takes me to get home.

I am so lucky that mine aren't phased by them, in fact they will happily lie in the conservatory & watch them but I feel really sorry for any dog that is affected by them.

What a good idea that coat is & great that Holly knows instinctively to go straight home & wait for you

I am so lucky that mine aren't phased by them, in fact they will happily lie in the conservatory & watch them but I feel really sorry for any dog that is affected by them.

What a good idea that coat is & great that Holly knows instinctively to go straight home & wait for you

It is good, but there is a road to cross by my house, so it does scare me every time!

Dreading firework 'month' they're on sale by us already and the kids in the park do play with them there. Loki is 6 month now so obviously hasn't encountered them. But the hi-vis coats are a great idea I wasn't sure whether or not to get one but saw one yesterday for £1 so got it for her. Put it on her last night and her reflective lead she lit the streets up and she wasn't bothered by it.

post-10729-0-69851800-1381705324_thumb.j