which is better harness or head collar ??

ohhsweetness

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What do these head harness look like, as at some point think someone has put either one on wolfie or a muzzle and its rubbed against his face now he has two identical marks where his fur will not grow back. I use a ezydog harness and i have an ezydog collar, that sounds like a good idea dunc to link them both how did you do that?

i was just wondering which would be better for akira

a harness or head collar ??

Was just wanting opinions whats better head collar or harness ??

Well, that depends. Why are you looking at a harness or head collar? Typically, harnesses enable dogs to pull, and head collars are marketed as anti-pull devices (though their effectiveness, and security is questionable - most dogs find them highly aversive and they can cause serious neck/back injury).

Personally I walk both my dogs on martingale (limited slip) collars. They are impossible for them to slip out of.

Well, that depends. Why are you looking at a harness or head collar? Typically, harnesses enable dogs to pull, and head collars are marketed as anti-pull devices (though their effectiveness, and security is questionable - most dogs find them highly aversive and they can cause serious neck/back injury).

Personally I walk both my dogs on martingale (limited slip) collars. They are impossible for them to slip out of.

The serious neck/ back injury is that both the harness and the head collar can cause this, what are these martingale collars like, are they similar to a choke cheers

The serious neck/ back injury is that both the harness and the head collar can cause this, what are these martingale collars like, are they similar to a choke cheers

No it's mainly head collars that carry a higher risk of injury :)

This is Micha's leather martingale, I also have a nylon/chain one:

IMG_1967.jpg

No it's mainly head collars that carry a higher risk of injury :)

This is Micha's leather martingale, I also have a nylon/chain one:

IMG_1967.jpg

Oh right cool, i wander if that is what someone has used on wolfie then as these marks are slightly above an past where his jaw ends. I do like the look of these collars are they easy to put on, i did briefly look at these before i brought my ezydog collar, are you from the uk?

To be honest, we don't like either harnesses or head collars for walking. Like Bec, we use simple half-check collars for walking. It's actually about training, rather than equipment. Our dogs are trained from baby pups to recognise different types of collar.

ScreenShot147.jpg

For ordinary walks, we use the webbing/chain half-check. Wearing this they know they mustn't pull and walk to heel.

For running in harness, they wear the all-webbing slip collar. Wearing this they know they can pull as much as they like.

For the showing, we use incredibly thin check-chains. Wearing these they know that they must respond to the slightest movement of the handler.

The key, I think, is the show training. Once they are used to responding to the slightest movement and being very obedient, the rest falls into place fairly easily.

Mick

To be honest, we don't like either harnesses or head collars for walking. Like Bec, we use simple half-check collars for walking. It's actually about training, rather than equipment. Our dogs are trained from baby pups to recognise different types of collar.

ScreenShot147.jpg

For ordinary walks, we use the webbing/chain half-check. Wearing this they know they mustn't pull and walk to heel.

For running in harness, they wear the all-webbing slip collar. Wearing this they know they can pull as much as they like.

For the showing, we use incredibly thin check-chains. Wearing these they know that they must respond to the slightest movement of the handler.

The key, I think, is the show training. Once they are used to responding to the slightest movement and being very obedient, the rest falls into place fairly easily.

Mick

Totally agree Mick!

The other martingales I use most are exactly the same as the red one you use for walking your dogs. In fact Micha has an identical red one :)

Strider, I'm in Australia :)

Everyone as different experiences with all type of collars and harnesses I to dont like the head collars I know some that swear by them as for saying martingale (limited slip) collars are impossible for them to slip out of this must be in your experiences Bec but I've seen it happen 1st hand and was told the same before it could not happen but it did and I know 1 other person on this board that its happened to as well :(

I don't like the head collars for many reasons. It seems kinda cruel to put something around their nose, and people think it's a muzzle and are afraid of your dog. I have seen lots of dogs with this on and they seemed miserablesad.gif we're using a training collar right now, sorta like a choker and once Pongo is leash trained, we'll be using a harness.

I don't like the head collars for many reasons. It seems kinda cruel to put something around their nose, and people think it's a muzzle and are afraid of your dog. I have seen lots of dogs with this on and they seemed miserablesad.gif we're using a training collar right now, sorta like a choker and once Pongo is leash trained, we'll be using a harness.

this is the exact problem with our little pom mix. we haven't used the collar in a long time but any time we did everyone thought it was a muzzle and were afraid of him (all 12 pounds).

Both me and every dog I have ever walked (and being a dog walker thats quiet a few) HATE head collars, halti's, gentle leaders or what ever other names they go by, I once walked a dog who litterally would stop every few yards and try desperately to get the halti off his nose by scrapping at it with his paws till he scratched his own nose bless him! But as a dog walker I have to do as the owner asks! :(

My girl has a regular colar for I.D and harness for walking and like Mick said before, its mostly about training your dog not to pull when street walking, and for this I use the method of whenever she startd to pull I made a very quick change of direction, she soon caught on that she had to pay attention to what I was doing and where I wanted to go rather than leading me where ever she wanted. I'm now working on heel work as part of my formal training classes that we go to and shes doing really well! :D

Everyone as different experiences with all type of collars and harnesses I to dont like the head collars I know some that swear by them as for saying martingale (limited slip) collars are impossible for them to slip out of this must be in your experiences Bec but I've seen it happen 1st hand and was told the same before it could not happen but it did and I know 1 other person on this board that its happened to as well :(

That's unfortunate but if the collar is fitted properly it is physically impossible for it to slip over the dog's head.

You need one that is adjustable like the one in the pic Mick posted. Some people don't know how to fit them properly and that's when they will slip over the dog's head. These collars were originally used for sighthounds like Greys and Whippets because their skull is the same thickness as their neck, the collars have to be impossible for the dogs to slip out of otherwise dogs like greyhounds could never be walked on one without it coming off.

Sarah, I don't mean this in a snarky way but if Kaiser's collar was fitted properly it couldn't have come over his head, just like a check chain can't slip over their heads if you are using it correctly.

That's unfortunate but if the collar is fitted properly it is physically impossible for it to slip over the dog's head.

You need one that is adjustable like the one in the pic Mick posted. Some people don't know how to fit them properly and that's when they will slip over the dog's head. These collars were originally used for sighthounds like Greys and Whippets because their skull is the same thickness as their neck, the collars have to be impossible for the dogs to slip out of otherwise dogs like greyhounds could never be walked on one without it coming off.

Sarah, I don't mean this in a snarky way but if Kaiser's collar was fitted properly it couldn't have come over his head, just like a check chain can't slip over their heads if you are using it correctly.

how would you fit one then?

When I fitted Kimba and Kaiser's they were tight, in that when I pulled the lead, the ring on each end couldn't touch each other

Hmmm...well I somewhat disagree about whether or not certain collars can slip loose over their heads or not. I have only had this problem with one collar and it was because the natural tug chewy does while walking would loosen it up just right. The thing about some collars is that they are not made tough enough to withstand constant tugging. I stick to metal buckle collars that have all metal parts that the nylon fits tightly enough that the adjustment slider wont start to loosen. The plastic ones just dont hold up at all. For the chocker and pinch collars it is all in the handling because they tighten and loosen depending on how you hold the leash, if the dog pulls or relaxes, etc. The only reason I suggest harnesses for pups is because if you tug back you wont be chocking and scaring them and generally you have better control. Really its all about preference though, some people only ever use a regular collar and leash. If the head harness was made with sturdier adjustment parts then it wouldnt loosen but the one and only time I put one on chewy he did manage to slip it off, despite the proper fitting. Instead of allowing him to go nuts and start freaking out I was walking him around the house for 15 minutes to get him used to the feel of it. Luckily he was still in the house, otherwise that may have been a very tiring situation, lol. I never used it after that for fear he would get loose while out walking. (this was about 2 months ago).

Beyond that we should all keep in mind just how smart and savvy huskies can be...you never know what they will learn to slip loose from, lol.