Anxious Dog In The Car?

Also, have you tried putting a curtain up so she cannot see out?

My son has a german short hair who does this all the time.......it's awful so I can relate. He now puts curtains in front of the side windows (even a baby sunscreen helps) and it has really assisted in her relaxing in the car.

My first husky, Bo, would sit in the back seat, facing the rear of the vehicle. That was the only way he was calm when riding.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the slow response, guys :P!  Had a huge test last week and was busy cramming.  Also have a test tomorrow :P!!

Have you tried putting up some sun screens on the windows if you think it maybe seeing outside setting her off

Hmm... No I haven't.  I was thinking she liked it outside since she loves sticking her head out but I will definitely try the shades!

You could try telling her NO in a very firm voice when she starts barking or whining. Maybe saying "no" instead of "quiet" would tell her that her behavior is unwanted rather than too loud or something? With my husky, if he's doing something bad, I look him right in the eyes and say no in a firm and low voice and it usually works. 

You could also try bringing along some of her favorite toys maybe so she's distracted? That worked for me when I first got my puppy. 

Let me know how it goes! Good Luck! 

Yes, I have tried saying "No!" in a very firm voice. Usually when I'm driving and I turn around and say "No!" she'll look at me and shut up for at least 4 or 5 minutes minimum before she starts again but, again as I'm driving on a highway/freeway/busy road often, I can't do it that much :P . || She loves toys -- however in the car, she will NEVER play with them.  I've tried putting the toys I see her play with most in with her and she doesn't even look at them lol.

Try a peanut butter/pumpkin mix. Not pie pumpkin, just regular old pumpkin. Add maybe a teaspoon of peanut butter to the pumpkin, mix, fill the kong and freeze. Not nearly as fattening and will keep them occupied a bit longer.

^  How do you obtain regular pumpkin?  I've actually never had a pumpkin or pumpkin pie so I have no idea what "pumpkin" is or looks like haha.

And yeah. Definitely going to try this screen/shade thing for the car. 

Update:  Went to the park again today.  (Also went yesterday)

Yesterday:  She was EXTREMELY good.  Even after she finished her kong, she was quiet almost the entire time.  However when we reached the destination (not even the park, I was parked at a boat docking area) she was whining and barking even though we weren't moving and there were no cars or dogs, hardly any people since it was probably 8 in the morning.  So -- until that point I would say she was really good so I'm not sure what set her off at the end (She didn't need to potty bc when we got to the park she barely peed and resumed playing)

Today:  Well.. I got a flat tire lol.  Brought my cousin along with me but I feel like that just got Jelly more excited so it wasn't the best day.  I didn't bring a kong this time (forgot to freeze it) but yeah.  Compared to all the progress we made before, this was probably the worst.  Guess I won't be bringing along other people for the time being. 

maybe she knew she was close to the park n it got her excited which is why she got worked up when you stopped

Possibly.  We did pass the actual dog park (which I eventually took her to about 30 minutes later to meet up with a few others)  However, most of the time, we go to completely different parks each time.  There's probably at least 30-40 different parks in Houston (counting North, South, East, West houston) At the least.  

We've been to probably 15-20 of them and maybe 1 or 2 we've been more than once.   

The only one we've been to consistently is the one near home (and the one where she acts up the most but I've tried taking 3 different routes and each time she goes crazy haha.

Yay!  huge progress today!!  

Update:   Since I blew out my tire yesterday morning, I went into the car dealership today and decided it would be the time to take Jelly along (so she would get used to car rides don't ALWAYS equal play time. )

She was basically quiet the entire time (drive was 15 min) Aside from the 1 whine that she stopped right after I firmly said "No" .  

The woman assisting me let me bring Jelly inside the building :)  ... Unfortunately I didn't really get any peace and quiet ... because every person in the building decided to talk to me the full 3 hours I was waiting for my car to be repaired..  :l.  

Other than that, it was great progress!!  Makes me think that she somehow knows when it's not the park (even though I never actually act excited or say anything when we do go to the park)

Maybe she just isn't a good traveller as many humans aren't and the distractions, kong, toys etc are just that but deep down she just doesn't like long journeys. It also sounds like you aren't a very confident driver and this maybe felt by Jelly. I would keep journeys to a minimum so neither of you are stressed out, walk to a local park if possible and leave the car at home. Otherwise maybe she's just really excited and barking and whining because she's happy and raring to go. If this is the case, then surely that's good? I'd just put on some tunes and have them on loud.

As a family we drive a lot, we are British but live in France, so we frequently drive 500 miles at a time. Our dog comes with us and is no problem, in fact when we walk past the car and the door is open he will jump in. I think it's all down to how you approach driving and travelling and the dogs pick up on that. We went to Spain the other week which was an 8 hour drive and Harry didn't complain once, though we stopped every couple of hours for a wee break, I truly think if you're relaxed then they will be.

Maybe she just isn't a good traveller as many humans aren't and the distractions, kong, toys etc are just that but deep down she just doesn't like long journeys. It also sounds like you aren't a very confident driver and this maybe felt by Jelly. I would keep journeys to a minimum so neither of you are stressed out, walk to a local park if possible and leave the car at home. Otherwise maybe she's just really excited and barking and whining because she's happy and raring to go. If this is the case, then surely that's good? I'd just put on some tunes and have them on loud.

As a family we drive a lot, we are British but live in France, so we frequently drive 500 miles at a time. Our dog comes with us and is no problem, in fact when we walk past the car and the door is open he will jump in. I think it's all down to how you approach driving and travelling and the dogs pick up on that. We went to Spain the other week which was an 8 hour drive and Harry didn't complain once, though we stopped every couple of hours for a wee break, I truly think if you're relaxed then they will be.

I'm confident in my driving ability.  Just not confident in others.  Since you're in Europe, I assume you haven't heard the term "Texas road rage" .  Most Texans, at least in Houston (where I am) if you so much as switch into their lane and "cut" them (Not abruptly and dangerously but just veer into their lane with signal) many will do ALL they possibly can to dangerously cut you back and flip you off lol.  It happens to me maybe once a month where I get in front of someone and they get pissed off and act like they're racing me lol and speed away.  But for the most part, I see this happen on a daily basis.  That was my thinking that Jelly picked off my nervous energy but I don't think there's anything I could do about that.  

As of lately, with what we've been doing -- she's been fairly good on the way home when she is tired and exhausted.  Which is why I assume it's the excitement.   

I recently just took her out at night in the car to get gas (this is a few hours after we spent time at the park so she was tired already) .  She was completely quiet and actually SAT in the car and stuck her head out the window.   I'm hoping this confirms it's just her hyperactive-ness/anxiousness.

As for the tunes, haha.  I'd have to put it so high that I wouldn't hear if another car was honking at me :P!   Plus, not a fan of loud music (sensitive ears)

It's a coincidence you suggested walking :P.   We actually today walked to the nearest park (4 mile walk x_o!!!).  She was more was behaved at the park too after this 4 mile walk (which is to be expected) 

However if I decide to walk her at home and then drive her to the park -- she's better but will still whine so it's back to car == play time!  (But then again the walk isn't anywhere close to 4 miles, will have to try this out one day)

So, at the moment I'm just taking her WHEREVER I can -- errands, just a drive around, etc. just so she can get used to the fact that car doesn't always equal play time.  

The past few weeks I've been seeing a lot of improvement but I'd say we still have a long way to go :P.

Also realized that you should never walk 4 miles with flip-flops on haha. Silly me. Blisters :(

Sorry, I ramble a lot :)