What Dog To Get To Befriend Our Husky

We are thinking about getting another dog to help teach our male husky pup how to behave and also to keep him company.

Was wondering how old to get the dog (maybe 3?), what breed and if we should get a bitch or dog?

I think i'd like a bitch so my boy could have a gf but i'd definately get them both done so no puppies arrived

Advice welcome

Depends what kind ov dog you are after tbh , my staffy cross helped train my boy as a pup but bings had lived at ours for years b4 we got blaze so knew the house rules tbh I think getting an older dog now might not help you'd just be training a puppy and an older dog how to behave in your home

I have a White German Shepherd  Echo who was a fantastic surrogate mum for my then 8 week old Husky Daughtry

If you want a dog to be your puppy's role model, then I think you're doing this the wrong way... Should've got the older dog before the pup. But if you want a companion for your pup, then I'd choose a younger dog, maybe a teenager. Adults (above 2 y.o) might already know general house rules and easier to train, but they are generally laid-back and might be bothered by a puppy that constantly wants attention. But of course, getting a teenage dog means owning two furry devils at the same time. There certainly are some older dogs that remain rambunctious even at their age, but you're gonna need to be looking into each individual dog carefully thus making your search even more difficult. 

Now about the bitch vs dog thing. In all honesty, I think there is no significant difference between the two genders except you intend to keep them intact. But then again it depends on each individual dog. Getting a second dog is much like searching for a girlfriend/boyfriend really  :lol: it's all about the chemistry! 

the Siberian Husky is a very friendly breed. They might be a bit too jumpy for a fun-sized, "tea cup" housemate but other than that they make ideal companions for dogs of any breed. So it's down to your own personal preference, but from my personal experience the best breeds that suit a husky are:

1. Golden Retrievers. These goofy, energetic, cheerful dogs are always up for a good run around the field or a playful wrestle or two :) they're naturally tolerant and forgiving, which is important because we know how rough huskies play. I'm sure a Labrador is pretty much the same but since Diamond doesn't have a Lab friend I can't tell you about them. 

2. Rottweilers. Diamond's first and best friend is a playful Rottweiler named Troy. He likes to wrestle too, but I'm always a bit worried when the boys start wrestling because Troy is twice Diamond's size and he might hurt my baby by accident. Diamond certainly isn't worried though!

3. Fellow huskies. No other breed suits huskies better  ;) but having two huskies in the house have downsides too. From what I've heard, two huskies will work together to open doors, unlock crates and a thousand other mischievous things they won't be able to do if they're alone  :wacko: but they do tend to fit like a pair of puzzle pieces. 

I've been told that German Shepherd Dogs make great husky friend too. But I can't tell you that from personal experience. Other than Goldens, Rotties and fellow Huskies Diamond also gets along well with a Beagle, a Chihuahua mix, a Westie (West Highland White Terrier) mix and a Mini Dachshund. He has an uncanny hatred towards Pomeranians though  :huh:

Charlie will be 3 at the end of the month and we guesstimate Solo is about 2 1/2. They get on great, play together and get into trouble together, whether Charlie has 'helped' Solo is hard to say, Solo was quite in your face when he came but soon settled to a quieter pace, we put it down to him just settling in, he is now the more laid back of the 2. I think it is down to each dogs personality, there is no real jealousy between them and if Charlie is grouchy Solo either ignores him, pushes him out of the way or bops him on the head with his paw, (all are funny to see lol). Where are you thinking of getting a new dog from? If from a rescue centre you should be able to introduce them.