Really Belated Introduction

Hi,

I've been lurking on the forum for quite a while now without an actual intrdoction, and you'll figure out why from below. My name is Jaafar and I'm an alcoholic. Oops, no, wrong problem :confused:. My name is Jaafar and I'm a dog lover, now a mad Husky enthusiast. I've always loved and wanted dogs but I was never able to get a dog due to family opposition, studies overseas, etc. Anyway, last November, my wife, Zineb, got a call from her dad saying that he had gotten us a Siberian Husky puppy. He had figured out how much I loved dogs, and him not being a dog person, had figured out it would be great present.

Let me shed some light on the problem. Zineb and I are from Casablanca, Morocco but live in London and yes, the puppy was in Morocco. After the shock and joy at the surprise came the questions. I was planning on picking my own dog, probably a german short haired pointer or a springer spaniel. It would not have been for quite a while and I had read everywhere how huskies are not ideal for first-time dog owners. Oh, and Zineb was terrified of dogs (She walked on the other side of the street if she saw a dog approaching :P).

Also, while the parents have some sort of papers, I don't think they are actually registered anywhere in Morocco. I also don't think they had any kind of tests, but the main concern is that they are siblings. So yes, the result of backyard breeding, but I think that is the majority in many developing countries.

Still we couldn't really refuse the new dog. I picked the name Yanky since I had spent five years in New York and missed it and we were first travelling there for the first time as a couple. Zineb was the lucky one to travel first back home and fell in love with him and held him like a little baby :g_shocked: That was a relief. My first meeting couldn't come too soon when we went to Morocco in February.

Here is taciturn Yanky the first time I met him. I had resolved to follow all of Cesar Milan's advice (which I don't agree with anymore) but no way was I going to let the stubborn little fellow ignore me for 30 minutes!

This past year has been really though as we see him only when we are in Morocco and we are missing his growth, upbringing, caring, training, everything.... It does result in being shocked every time we go back:

We have considered bringing Yanky over to London, but Morocco is not of part of the Pet Travel Scheme :mad:, so he would have to go through 6 months quarantine, which would be no fun for any of us and not inexpensive either.

Now that I have that out of the way, I should be participating in a slightly more forthcoming manner. This site is totally addictive, so great job to everyone and thanks for sharing your useful advice and strong opinions, and sometimes personal tidbits with everyone.

Here are some of the other pictures I have uploaded, but we have tons if anyone is interested.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG - he's gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!

Gosh that must be so hard having to only see him when you go over there :(

Have you thought about having one with you in London?

welcome to the pack :D:D

And do we want more pics?? pfft silly question - OF COURSE WE DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot for understanding. Apart from missing him, having him in a different country means worrying about him and trying to make sure he is well taken care of.

Its not just his looks, but his personality which are so endearing. He likes to play the tough stubborn guy but it extremely sweet and affectionate. Even gets jealous if I approach another dog. My wife says that we have similar personalities :eek:

Bringing him over to London would take about 7 months to have him at home with us and cost almost 5000. Then there is the fact that we don't have a garden and fly back to Morocco quite ofen. We'll eventually move back so we'll hold on until then.

As requested, more pictures added (in chronological order) :

Yes, definetely really proud of him. He was 24Kg and 60cm when I last saw him in August.

Zineb just got there and told me he is now as big as his dad.

His dad also has large ears, so don't know if it would be considered a defect if he doesn't grow that much more into them. He is only 11 months old, so still has some growing to do. I do like the radar quality of their ears but found the earlier floppy ones the cutest.

Hi, Jaafar & Zineb, welcome at last ;):D

"and I'm an alcoholic" - well, you'll fit in well on that count too!! :eek: lol

Yanky is such a little poser! He's gorgeous ... it must be really hard to say goodbye each time you come back to London & I can fully understand the implications of not being able to bring him here, but he doesn't look like he's doing too bad being brought up the Morrocan way, he's absolutely thriving!!

Look forward to reading more about your visits back home with Yanky & seeing his pics as he's growing up, xx

Thanks Val

I hope I didn't get carried away with that reference to alcoholism, but everyone sounds really easy going on the site (aside from certain topics ;) ).

I'll see him next saturday and will more pictures and updates :D!!

:D:D yes, 1 or 2 things do arouse deep feelings :scared: but that's life & we all think differently ...

How long are you going back to Morocco for? Just so we know how long you'll take posting more pics of gorgeous Yanky!! :P Hope Saturday comes round really quick for you, x

• 2 weeks later...

So I barely made it to Morocco and back (realized at the airport that I forgot my passport at home missed my flight, had to buy a new ticket for a different city and flew back from a different one too :blink: ).

Yanky is now 28 kg, instead of 24 in August. He should be a year old in a week, and can no longer pass for a puppy.

gallery_406_2_1057326.jpg

Spending time with him was just great. We did lots of jogging and walking. He runs the most when we are on the beach but I can't keep up for too long :P. We'll try on a bike or roller blades in December.

He has this tendency to jump up on me when he is excited. I don't mind but don't want it to be a habit with anyone else. He could tell I was telling him off only half-heartedly, but now just paws me when he wants to play.

We tried barf and he loved it. Raw carrots were a miss though. He definitely prefers them cooked moroccan style :lol: . Plain yogurt, eggs, sardines, tuna, chicken, minced meat, steak, he loved. We walked to the local market and the butcher offered him some huge bones he munched on for hours:

gallery_406_2_919462.jpg

He did have some slightly runny stools at first but the bones took care of that.All the local dog 'experts' said he looked too skinny and probably had worms. I agree that he is quite skinny since you can see his ribs, so in addition to feeding him more, we gave him a three-day worming treatment.

Don't really know what to say, it went by way too quickly. Zineb is still there and says he is acting despondent. My parents also reported that he keeps watching the door, probably waiting for me to return...

(More pictures in the gallery)

gallery_406_2_1159108.jpg

Jaafar, I can't believe you forgot your passport! :lol:

Yanky is growing into a handsome lad .... I love the close up pic with his bone, he's certainly enjoying that! I found Myshka appeared skinny till she was about 18 months old when she stopped growing upwards & started growing outwards, if you know what I mean! On the vet's scales she was always the right weight, just looked really thin. See how Yanky is after his worming treatment, I'm sure he's OK, though.

The pictures are great, thanks for sharing them with us. I bet you can't wait for December to come round (pack your passport NOW so you know it is done!) :P

Thanks Val.

This is now the second day he just slept all day long. He plays a little with Zineb but quickly gets tired (or tired of it) and lies down. He ate 2 cockerels but didn't drink much. He did perk up when Zineb put the phone next to his ear and I called him. I feel really bad about leaving him...